By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, which franchise had the best jump from 2D to 3D?

Out of all the franchises that went from 2D to 3D (the ones you can think of, at least), which one made the best jump, in your opinion?

Zelda would be my choice.

Around the Network

Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

mM

In my opinion, the jump from 2D to 3D in Zelda was far less meaningful in terms of Gameplay than the jump was for Mario. Adventure games maintained the same (basic) gameplay whereas platforming needed to be entirely reconsidered.

Metroid prime is also noteworthy, because of how many people said it couldn't be done ...

Metroid Prime hands down. After such a long time between games, it was marvelous the first time I saw it. Not to mention that it has one, if not the best, atmospheres I have ever played.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

I'd say either Mario or Metroid.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

mario showed how its done but zelda perfected it, so zelda probably made the best jump from 2d to 3d, there are other examples to like metroid prime and MGS

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

I'm also guessing Mario...

Sonic with Sonic adventure 2, yeah yeah I know allot will bag me out for this, but I grew up with sonic and the sega mega drive back in the day.

I'd say Mario for the gameplay reason HappySqurriel mentioned.

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

MGS was never 2D...

I'd say Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I'd say Tales as well but the 2D-3D jump wasn't a really huge jump in terms of gameplay/adventuring/etc. The 3D ones have a slightly different battle system but that's it.

They are referring to the Metal Gear games before MGS.

Mario had the best jump to 3D