By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, which franchise had the best jump from 2D to 3D?

well, mario, jeez.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

I think you mean Metal Gear.

As there wasn't a 2D Metal Gear Solid game.

What he meant was MGS was the game that initaiated the 3D jump. For once I agree with Leo-J on this.

But it didn't jump anywhere. In of itself is consdiered it's own franchise... partly a "spin-off" of MGS.

Much how Mario Party or something was a jump from the Mario Franchise.

It's he old all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares statement.

The thread asks which franchise.

akuma587 said:
Final Fantasy's was pretty good. Mario and Zelda are definitely in the top 5 or top 3 though.

I think a better question is what game series had THE WORST jump. In my mind it is still the Castlevania series. I did enjoy Lament of Innocence though.

See i'd argue Final Fantasy had the worst jump.  At least Castlevania tried to do something different, where Final Fantasy changed nothing of importance yet fell apart.

Castlevania games wasn't bad as far as 3-D adventure games of the time, but suck compared to previous castlevania games.

The 3-D Final Fantasy games have sucked compared to previous final fantasy games AND RPGs of the time. (Note: haven't played enough of 9 to comment on in.  So maybe 9 was good.  Whatever.)

steven787 said:
highwaystar101 said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Mario and zelda had an amazing jump.

Also METAL GEAR SOLID had to me the best jump from 2d to 3d.

I think you mean Metal Gear.

As there wasn't a 2D Metal Gear Solid game.

What he meant was MGS was the game that initaiated the 3D jump. For once I agree with Leo-J on this.

Everyone picks on leo-j, they should make a whole "Pick on Leo-j" section of the forum to go with Nintendo, PC, Off topic, etc.

You don't see anyone saying, "Metroid never was in 3D, it was Metroid Prime."

I think Mario by far.

Metal Gear (MG to MGS, for the a-holes)

Zelda

Metroid

GTA

Final Fantasy (Though this was more of a progression than a jump)

Cause Metroid is the franchise... while metroid prime is the subsection of said franchise.

Final Fanasy :) (With the infamous FFVII)

Around the Network

Well to me Final Fantasy's 3D jump didn't really change the gameplay in a big way. It plays thee same way as the others, the only differance is how it's presented, in contrast to say Mario, where the game series was elevated to a whole new style.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

GTA

i think da 1st gran turismo and maybe the second one 2 were 2d, so i think dat the gran turismo series has made a big jump.

steven787 said:

Everyone picks on leo-j, they should make a whole "Pick on Leo-j" section of the forum to go with Nintendo, PC, Off topic, etc.

You don't see anyone saying, "Metroid never was in 3D, it was Metroid Prime."

indeed

In terms of gameplay: Mario/Metroid. Mario being the king of keeping the essence in tact and Metroid the king (or queen ~_^) of the biggest change while making an awesome impact.

In terms of production values, story and presentation, definitely FF. The FF's in 3D felt so inspiring from their 2D counterparts, only losing their charm but gaining more feeling and purpose.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*