By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, which franchise had the best jump from 2D to 3D?

HappySqurriel said:
ministaff said:
i would have to say it is a tie between mario and zelda because the transtion made 2 of the greatest games of all time. my worst2 would have to be sonic and starfox because the gameplay for the 3d games are horrible.

When was Starfox a 2D game?

Never. In fact it was marketed as the first 3d game.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I can't believe the FF fanboyism, it is forehead smackingly frustrating. NOTHING changed in FF when they went to 3D game play wise, it was still exactly the same! Except you had some 3D characters replacing the sprites.

How did that drasticly improve the series. FF fanboys need to take their head out of the proverbial sand. Final Fantasy 7 is NOT the be all end all best in every possible way no matter the criteria, and this just goes to show your collective inability for rational thought.

The popularity of FFVII had nothing to do with its use of horrible 10 polygon models and linear transition animations, it was the FMV cut scenes that everyone creamed themselved over.

Any way, it depends on how you define "Best"

For me Mario had the "best" transition in maintaining the feel and play of its 2D counter part.

Zelda had the best in recreating the series in 3D overall

and Grand Theft auto had the best transition in increase in quality. The 2D games were boring, having me put the controller down a few hours in to them, but the 3D gmaes grabbed me, and had some seriously fun moments.

Overall the most important transition was, without a doubt, Mario. It defined 3D gaming and is still an amazing game to this day. Plus you got to mess with mario's face.

The worst by far was Megaman.  Megama 64 pissed me off to no end.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X