By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 catching up to Wii in Japanese sales

Sony PS3 catching up to Wii in Japanese sales

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Wii game console once again outsold Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) PlayStation 3 in Japan in June, but its lead is fading, a game magazine publisher said.

Wii outsold the rival console by 1.7-to-1, making it the No.1 game console for a seventh consecutive month, Enterbrain said, but that was well short of the 6-to-1 lead the Wii had in May.

The launch in June of Konami Corp's (9766.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) highly anticipated "Metal Gear Solid 4" for the PS3 helped stir demand for the Sony machine, the magazine said.

Nintendo sold 235,990 units of its Wii console in the five weeks ended June 29, while sales of the PS3 came to 139,494 units, Enterbrain said. Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Xbox 360 trails the pack, with sales of 10,964 units.

Despite its strong performance in June, the PS3 has a lot of catching up to do in total sales around the world.

Sony has sold 12.85 million units of its latest console worldwide by the end of March, or just half the Wiis sold since the rival consoles were both launched in late 2006.

For handheld game players, Sony sold 274,131 of its PlayStation Portable during the five-week period, surpassing Nintendo, which sold 195,714 of its DS gear, the publisher said.

Prior to the announcement, shares in Sony closed up 0.9 percent at 4,600 yen while Nintendo gained 0.2 percent to 60,900 yen. The Nikkei average .N225 was down 0.2 percent.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Rodney Joyce)

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTKU00339620080703?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Are analysts retarded or something? The 1.7:1 margin was due to the huge but momentary MGS4 boost. Now it's only the third week after MGS4 and the Wii is already outselling the PS3 by over 3:1 again in Japan.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Well... This week is back to normal... or almost.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

This phrase "catching up" ...

I do not think it means what you think it means ...

Yeah! Good work Sony! Finally you're selling half as many PS3's as the Wii instead of 6 times less!
Domination is near!

This is SO pathetic.

Around the Network

wow...wii only outsold the ps3 by 1.7 to 1. nintendo iz do0m3d.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Wii game console once again outsold Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) PlayStation 3 in Japan in June, but its lead is fading, a game magazine publisher said.

The lead is fading? In which mathematical miracle do we live that when you sell more than your competitor the lead is actually fading? The lead is still increasing, but less fast.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

^^ well, that settles it.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

PS3 outsells the X360 13 to 1.