By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will killzone 2 run at 1080p & 60fps ?

Squilliam said:
I didn't know it was coming out for the PC?!?!!?!?!?!

@MikeB: 1280x1080 or 1440x1080 are not 1080p, even though they have 1,080 horizontal lines.  Only 1920x1080 is 1080p.

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
Squilliam said:
I didn't know it was coming out for the PC?!?!!?!?!?!

@MikeB: 1280x1080 or 1440x1080 are not 1080p, even though they have 1,080 horizontal lines.  Only 1920x1080 is 1080p.

The same as always, yes they are 1080p resolution like there are various 480p resolutions. This has been talked about to death and technically I am right like I pointed out to some people.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

I mean common 1080p resolutions like 1280x1080 or 1440x1080. The horizontal resolution can be scaled with excellent results using smart algorithms.

1280x1080 @ 60 fps = 83 million pixels per second.

Not that much more than R&C does (54m pixels/second), but that's a totally different kind of game, potentially with lower requirements in terms of graphics (reminds me of how cartoony graphics look better than realistic graphics on the Wii or other consoles with low power compared with the PS3/360).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I wish I had super human gamer eyes that can tell the difference between 720p and 1080i...alas, I am stuck with normal human eyes that cannot...720 is fine by me.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

GodofWine said:
I wish I had super human gamer eyes that can tell the difference between 720p and 1080i...alas, I am stuck with normal human eyes that cannot...720 is fine by me.

It depends on the size of your TV, and yes, also on how good your vision is. I

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

I mean common 1080p resolutions like 1280x1080 or 1440x1080. The horizontal resolution can be scaled with excellent results using smart algorithms.

Not that much more than R&C does (54m pixels/second), but that's a totally different kind of game, potentially with lower requirements in terms of graphics (reminds me of how cartoony graphics look better than realistic graphics on the Wii or other consoles with low power compared with the PS3/360).

Not totally different requirements as else they would make a new game engine. Every different game has different requirements, but Ratchet's art direction is intentionaly cartoony but high quality. All current console shooters apart from maybe to a lesser extend Call of Duty 4 (and soon Killzone 2) have a cartoony feel to them even Crysis.

Resistance: Fall of Man

http://fp.scea.com///Content/Movies/15476/Images/7/image.jpg

http://fp.scea.com///Content/Movies/15476/Images/6/image.jpg

Resistance 2, will have very different requirements compared to Resistance: Fall of Man as for example they are planning on implementing complex bosses with up to sizes topping skyscrappers.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

GodofWine said:

If you're playing a game 720p and 1080i actually look quite a bit different ...

If you're playing a game where you're dealing with a lot of high-speed things on screen (like a racing game), or a game where the camera moves a lot and quickly, interlacing artifacts are very noticeable and people often mistake them for jaggies. If you're playing a game were the on screen action is much slower (like an RPG or RTS game) 1080i looks much crisper because it approximates the appearance of 1920x1080 @30fps.

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:

Not totally different requirements as else they would make a new game engine. Every different game has different requirements, but Ratchet's art direction is intentionaly cartoony but high quality. All current console shooters apart from maybe to a lesser extend Call of Duty 4 (and soon Killzone 2) have a cartoony feel to them even Crysis.

Resistance: Fall of Man

http://fp.scea.com///Content/Movies/15476/Images/7/image.jpg

http://fp.scea.com///Content/Movies/15476/Images/6/image.jpg

Resistance 2, will have very different requirements compared to Resistance: Fall of Man as for example they are planning on implementing complex bosses with up to sizes topping skyscrappers.

Maybe they're cartoony on the characters, but certainly not on the environments and lighting effects.

Shooters should be 60fps, always. What's wrong with Sony?

TheBigFatJ said:
Shooters should be 60fps, always. What's wrong with Sony?

Halo 3 is also 30 fps isn't it?

It seems to me that the most balanced console in terms of frame-rate is the Wii. PS3/360 developers are too busy increasing the resolution and number of polygons to care about framerate. A shame really, because framerate jitter is really annoying.