By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Soul Calibur 4 (PS3) - 6.7 GB Install + 2 GB Save

ksv said:
2.85 GB install is still 2.85 GB too much. It seems that as soon as game developers get some storage, they unlearn how to program properly.

A good example:
Final Fantasy VI - 4 Megabytes
Final Fantasy VII - 3 CDs (4 on the PC version)

Even if you remove the FMVs, the game is still over 400 MB. Did the switch to 3D really mean you needed 100 times more storage?

Why SCIV needs any install whatsoever is beyond me, looks like they are doing it just because they can, so they don't have to work on optimizing load times from the Bluray. It's pathetic.

As an earlier poster pointed out, the whole point of a console is that you dont have to do all those annoying things. You should pop in the disc, and it should _JUST WORK_.

So sad.

Developers are limited by the transfer rate of the blu-ray drive in the ps3.  Multi-plat developers seem less inclined to spend budget on developing a streaming/caching solution for the PS3 version since it is not cost effective.  Since all PS3s come equiped with hard drives, it is a lot cheaper to install to and stream from the HD.  The lazy developer comment can be attributed to first party games that have a 5 gig install (looking at you Hot Shot Golf). 

This thread was a waste of everyone's time.  Thanks.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
Tbone said:
Its a fighting game can it really be that big.

Never actually played a Soul Calibur game eh?

MGS4 never took more than 4.6GB, and I can't remember the save file but it was less than 512KB.....

4 ≈ One

I remember Kotaku running with this a while back. If I'm not mistaken, Namco denied the accuracy of the report when contacted.

LG[Infinite] said:
I remember Kotaku running with this a while back. If I'm not mistaken, Namco denied the accuracy of the report when contacted.

Well, that's Kotaku for you. They'll run with absolutely anything that'll generate a few page hits and nothing generates page hits and flame wars like something that bashes the PS3.

Around the Network

the numbers are wrong...a dev already confirmed the numbers were blown out of proportion

Words Of Wisdom said:
Tbone said:
Its a fighting game can it really be that big.

Never actually played a Soul Calibur game eh?

Actually no but i liked soul blade.

Proper way to respond to posts that seem old

A) look at date of first thread, confirm its an old thread thats been bumped
B) If bumped then find out who and what they have to say
C) reply accordingly

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

i don't care about the size, i'll install it even if it's 20 gb big, i just want to play this game!

i hope it is to avoid loading, for customized characters saving or downloads etc.....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

maybe the SC developers put out the crazy install and save rumor. I mean after that a 2.85g install doesn't seem so bad does it?