By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How will homosexuality will affect us in the future,Are you happy about it?

Million said:

Esmorit : My main concern with the acceptance of homosexuality is the influence that it'll have on the upcoming generations , the youger more easily influenced minds. we also have no idea what kinda effect this  will have on us.

Actually we do have an idea effect it will have if we look at history. Soddom, Gomorah, Greece, and Rome to name a few.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
Million said:
I think it's time for me to give me view on the situation.

I personaly don't like homesexuality , I don't think it's ethical , natural (in the sense of it being the intended nature not actual nature) , logical to choose homosexuality . As a christian I don't think it's what God intended when he created us.

I'm not entirley sure if people can actualy be born homosexual as , as far as i'm concerned there's been no evidence suggest conclusivley that it is possible or impossible , what I do believe is that it's wrong to discriminate against some one on the basis of their sexuality and I would see the homosexual in the same light at the bi-sexual , hetrosexual etc .(I would at least hope I do).

Then you're suggesting that creatures from every species on earth have chosen to be gay and have free will?

Being "gay" in the animal kingdom is quite a bit different from being "gay" in the human sense... In fact sex in general is quite a bit different being that most animals do not have sex for personal pleasure.

In the animal kingdom homosexuality is more often a sign of a dominant and submissive behavior which is more related to sexual activity in a prison than a bedroom.

The study against a good number of animals... such as the aforementioned penguins would disagree.  You're thinking of "bisexual" animals.

Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

has it ever been conclusively proven that people can be born gay? I mean it defies logic to me because such individuals would be unable to reproduce and any "gay gene" would be eliminated from the genome fairly quickly imo.

If the answer to above question is "yes, there is a gay gene." I don't really care, but regardless, I will physically harm any guy who starts hitting on me. *shudder*

If the answer is "no, there is not a gay gene." I will avoid them. If they start hitting on me, well, prepare for Judgment Day....

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah. I'd say it's been conclusively proven. Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think. After all redheads are still going strong. It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

There isn't an animal in nature that's 100% straight that i'm aware of.

Penguin's I believe are the most gay.

no, that's not what I meant. I meant show me a reputable scientific research project that conslusively proved that being gay is a genetic issue. I personally have yet to see one and as such I doubt the proposition's accuracy for the aforementioned reasons of natural selection.

How about a study that shows the brains of gay men are different then straight men?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html?cnn=yes

There have also been many twin studies where peolple who have a twin were MUCH more likely to be gay.  Either Fraternal or Twin.  Of course it's not 100% considering the attitude people have about gay people.

That doesn't prove anything. The statement being made is that being gay is a genetic variation and I have yet to see any research on the subject of a gay gene. A paper or two documenting reseach into the human genome and pinpointing a genetic variation in gay people that causes them to be gay is what I would like to see. Until I see said paper, I remain unconvinced and the inability of anyone, anywhere, to show me that paper is starting to convince me that there is not a gay gene at all and gay people are just weirdos. I do however remain open to the possibility that they are not just being weirdos if someone can show me a scientific study that identified and verified the presence of a gene(s) that "make" someone gay.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

superchunk said:

To me, everything about you is coded in your genes. Even your tastes, sex included. Granted those tastes can have minor transitions through time, i.e. I have always disliked pickles and mustard, however, within the last few years I have become to enjoy mustard on my food. Now, I personally think that is because I never special order food and have been eating mustard occasionally for so long I just got used to it.

You were born with X amount of taste buds, and as you grew up, your tongue expanded, making the taste buds farther apart.  Everybody has a few things that gross them out early on, because everything is a taste explosion to kids, especially in the bitter department (coffee, wine, beer, grapefruit, brussel sprouts, etc.).  Some people still have more than average taste buds, and some people have fewer.  25% of people are supertasters (hypersensitive to bitterness), 50% are "average", and 25% are non-tasters (very insensitive to bitterness).  There's even a way to measure this, but I forgot what it is.  It's easy to find online, and you can do it at home and it's hilarious.

psrock said:

Can someone explain to me why would anyone choose to be gay?

Because they want to be hated for their whole life, OBVIOUSLY.

HappySqurriel said:

Being "gay" in the animal kingdom is quite a bit different from being "gay" in the human sense... In fact sex in general is quite a bit different being that most animals do not have sex for personal pleasure.

In the animal kingdom homosexuality is more often a sign of a dominant and submissive behavior which is more related to sexual activity in a prison than a bedroom.

While many animals have different ideas about sex, they overlap with human ideas on the subject in several ways.

In fact, dolphins fall in love with each other and have families and very intense emotional bonds.  When some tuna fishermen kill a dolphin, their "spouse" will actually commit suicide out of grief.

And Bonobos are known for having bisexual orgies and even trading food for sexual favors, i.e. monkey prostitution!

And the prison gayness you mentioned is very common in any situation that involves all men and no women, like pirates, sailors, coal miner, cowboys, basically any macho idea where it's all manly men and no women around... they're fucking.

Now here's the fun part: that doesn't make them gay.  People's sexualities are not defined by a one time act but are actually defined by who they love in a romantic sense.  I could go fuck 10 dudes right now on a dare if you paid me $500, and that wouldn't make me gay.  That would make me $500 richer.  What makes me straight is that I'm spending the rest of my life with my wife.  Sexualities are defined by emotional desires, not physical acts.  Booyah!

luinil said:
Million said:

Esmorit : My main concern with the acceptance of homosexuality is the influence that it'll have on the upcoming generations , the youger more easily influenced minds. we also have no idea what kinda effect this will have on us.

Actually we do have an idea effect it will have if we look at history. Soddom, Gomorah, Greece, and Rome to name a few.

Rome... hm... so if we allow gay people to marry we are going to overextend our army to the point of where we get our asses kicked by the Visigoths?

The modern equivelent would be... what... overextending our military and getting our asses kicked by terrorists?  We seem to be doing a good job overextending the military as it is.

Greece... is an odd choice as well as i can't see anything that suggests how gayness negativly effected greece.

How about all of the "straight only" nations that have been wiped off the face of the planet?

Around the Network
hsrob said:
There was some very famous and oft quoted research done in the 60's that put the numbers at 10% for males and >5% for females (working from memory). A lecture series that i attended at Uni said the original study was working from a very biased population, and that the numbers are close to 5% males, 2-3% females and that it's consistent across culture. With the caveate that it's quite hard to get very accurate data on this.

ehh... I guess it doesn;t really matter that much.... just seemed a little too high to me...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

I don't have a problem with gay people. I've had a few friends in High School that were gay and I didn't even know that they were. And they were some good friends to me over those four years. So that's not a problem. I do have a problem with flamboyantly gay people. Guys who wear lip gloss, or are loud, pop their gum, smack their lips, etc. I also don't like gay girls. Nothing about girl-on-girl action remotely turns me on... It's simply disgusting to me. That being said, I have no problem with gay girls either. As long as they're not too "dike-y".

The problem is that it's taboo to be gay, so people tend to hide it (especially in the black community), I remember making fun of gay people all the time when I was younger, so people hide it, and have gay sex with other guys, don't protect themselves, then pass on HIV/AIDS to their female partners. I think if people were more open and accepting of gayness, HIV/AIDS numbers would drastically reduce.

I compute sexual preference to a choice. Much like when you go to a restaurant and order a drink. Do you want lemonade or coke? I don't get mad when people don't choose lemonade (my fav. drink), so why should you hate on people who don't share your sexual preference. And generally, when I'm talking to my friends and whatnot, we're not sharing sexual exploits, or anything like that (not that I've done anything >_>). It's everyone's choice to be what sexual preference they like, and it's their decision to like or not like the same sex, and it's none of my business. If I'm friends with someone that's gay, but they're still there for me, and are cool to hang around with, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm not too sure what that had to do with the OP, but that's my $0.02.

cdude1034 said:
Strategyking92 said:
I detest the "gay" term in general; anything associated to it, but I consider people, people.

Also: I view it as plain unnatural.

How is it unnatural? Is exists in nature...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15750604/

humans are more intelligent, and are supposed to evolve. You can't evolve if someone in your ancestry with a special gene chooses to be gay and you are not born (with that cancer preventing)

So again: it isn't natural.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

has it ever been conclusively proven that people can be born gay? I mean it defies logic to me because such individuals would be unable to reproduce and any "gay gene" would be eliminated from the genome fairly quickly imo.

If the answer to above question is "yes, there is a gay gene." I don't really care, but regardless, I will physically harm any guy who starts hitting on me. *shudder*

If the answer is "no, there is not a gay gene." I will avoid them. If they start hitting on me, well, prepare for Judgment Day....

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah. I'd say it's been conclusively proven. Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think. After all redheads are still going strong. It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

no, that's not what I meant. I meant show me a reputable scientific research project that conslusively proved that being gay is a genetic issue. I personally have yet to see one and as such I doubt the proposition's accuracy for the aforementioned reasons of natural selection.

How about a study that shows the brains of gay men are different then straight men?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html?cnn=yes

There have also been many twin studies where peolple who have a twin were MUCH more likely to be gay. Either Fraternal or Twin. Of course it's not 100% considering the attitude people have about gay people.

That doesn't prove anything. The statement being made is that being gay is a genetic variation and I have yet to see any research on the subject of a gay gene. A paper or two documenting reseach into the human genome and pinpointing a genetic variation in gay people that causes them to be gay is what I would like to see. Until I see said paper, I remain unconvinced and the inability of anyone, anywhere, to show me that paper is starting to convince me that there is not a gay gene at all and gay people are just weirdos. I do however remain open to the possibility that they are not just being weirdos if someone can show me a scientific study that identified and verified the presence of a gene(s) that "make" someone gay.

Wow, that's a ridiculious precedent.  It's a good thing the scientific community doesn't have the same precedent.

For one... sexual prefrence is way more complicated then just one gene.

Secodly there have been lots of studiest that show a lot of similar genetic markers in gay people though.

You can  disagree but you're being a bit intellectuially dishonest if you actually look at the research.  It's like saying you don't belive in the elments that are purely theoretical because we haven't created them in a lab setting yet despite fitting the formula. (Or had we finally created them all....?)

Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah.  I'd say it's been conclusively proven.  Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think.  After all redheads are still going strong.  It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

Or you could scientifically prove that people are turned gay by whatever.

The burden of proof doesn't seem to be on either side in this argument, so you can't claim the logical high ground in this argument.