By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How will homosexuality will affect us in the future,Are you happy about it?

If it's not logical to 'choose' homosexuality, then why do ~5% of males and 3% of females (different stats from Rubangs i know) 'choose' to be homosexual. Does that make them illogical people, why would they, at least in the past, choose a life that leads them open to fearful attitudes and discrimination.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

has it ever been conclusively proven that people can be born gay? I mean it defies logic to me because such individuals would be unable to reproduce and any "gay gene" would be eliminated from the genome fairly quickly imo.

If the answer to above question is "yes, there is a gay gene." I don't really care, but regardless, I will physically harm any guy who starts hitting on me. *shudder*

If the answer is "no, there is not a gay gene." I will avoid them. If they start hitting on me, well, prepare for Judgment Day....

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah.  I'd say it's been conclusively proven.  Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think.  After all redheads are still going strong.  It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

There isn't an animal in nature that's 100% straight that i'm aware of.

Penguin's I believe are the most gay.

no, that's not what I meant. I meant show me a reputable scientific research project that conslusively proved that being gay is a genetic issue. I personally have yet to see one and as such I doubt the proposition's accuracy for the aforementioned reasons of natural selection.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

hsrob said:
If it's not logical to 'choose' homosexuality, then why do ~5% of males and 3% of females (different stats from Rubangs i know) 'choose' to be homosexual. Does that make them illogical people, why would they, at least in the past, choose a life that leads them open to fearful attitudes and discrimination.

wait. 5% of guys are homosexual? that would be like ~250000000 people WW and more than 7500000 in the US... that seems a bit high to me...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

has it ever been conclusively proven that people can be born gay? I mean it defies logic to me because such individuals would be unable to reproduce and any "gay gene" would be eliminated from the genome fairly quickly imo.

If the answer to above question is "yes, there is a gay gene." I don't really care, but regardless, I will physically harm any guy who starts hitting on me. *shudder*

If the answer is "no, there is not a gay gene." I will avoid them. If they start hitting on me, well, prepare for Judgment Day....

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah.  I'd say it's been conclusively proven.  Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think.  After all redheads are still going strong.  It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

no, that's not what I meant. I meant show me a reputable scientific research project that conslusively proved that being gay is a genetic issue. I personally have yet to see one and as such I doubt the proposition's accuracy for the aforementioned reasons of natural selection.

He just did. Who the hell would choose to be gay? You know how hard they have it during their teen years? Throught their entire lives? Think about it.

Esmoreit said:

Gutenberg's bible-printer was considered a devil's machine by conservatives then.

My real question up for debate was in the last point: Why do certain groups want other groups not to be able to go public with their sexual preferences, political ideas or religious thoughts? 

Gutenburg I am sure would be a conservative while the church would not be. The people that want to stifle free speech of any kind in the USA are not the conservatives, but the die-hard liberals scum in the media and elected officials. They want to kill Talk Radio. They want to enact hate speech laws. They want to do away with secret ballots for unionizing. They want to do so much more. Why is it that Christianity is constantly derided and nobody but Conservatives (In my experience) speak up for it?

I couldn't care less what people do in private, as long as you do not harm someone in the process. Leave the children out of it and make it consensual and I don't have an issue. Doesn't mean I want to know about it, nor that I agree with it. I am tired of my values and the values of my country being constantly assailed from both sides, inside and out. How long can a structure stand if its foundation is destroyed?

Around the Network
xbebop said:
Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

He just did. Who the hell would choose to be gay? You know how hard they have it during their teen years? Throught their entire lives? Think about it.

No. that's not proving it. I mean proving it as in proving it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_proof

There was some very famous and oft quoted research done in the 60's that put the numbers at 10% for males and >5% for females (working from memory). A lecture series that i attended at Uni said the original study was working from a very biased population, and that the numbers are close to 5% males, 2-3% females and that it's consistent across culture. With the caveate that it's quite hard to get very accurate data on this.

Million said:

Esmorit : My main concern with the acceptance of homosexuality is the influence that it'll have on the upcoming generations , the youger more easily influenced minds. we also have no idea what kinda effect this  will have on us.

My thought is, nothing. At best it will lead to better acceptance. At worst, it inspires young kids at making easy jokes on gays expense after watching too much Will and Grace.

I'll be honest, at puberty I thought it would be fun to be bisexual. I was already into girls but scoring with guys is easier I reckoned so I just sat down and thought how it would be with another guy. After trying for some time, getting the best possible imagines, I reckoned that no, dude on dude sex was not for me. Mind you, I wanted it. I tried my best (without doing anything "practical") and it still didn't hit me like some enlightenment.

You don't choose it, it doesn't grow inside you after to much exposure to tha gayz... gay people are just that, they are gay.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Retrasado said:
Kasz216 said:
Retrasado said:

Animals are born gay.... people are animals... so yeah. I'd say it's been conclusively proven. Genes are pretty complicated by the way... so it's more complicated then you'd think. After all redheads are still going strong. It's likely a combination of many genes as sexuality goes across a large range of prefrence and just recessive genes.

How about a study that shows the brains of gay men are different then straight men?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1815538,00.html?cnn=yes

There have also been many twin studies where peolple who have a twin were MUCH more likely to be gay.  Either Fraternal or Twin.  Of course it's not 100% considering the attitude people have about gay people.

hsrob said:

The statistics vary mainly because (depending on the question you ask) people identify themself differently in different studies. I took a sociology course on gender issues in University and when it came to homosexuality if you asked people to associate their attraction to members of a particular sex on a 5 point scale only about 1% of males (and almost no females) defined themself as exclusively homosexual; preferentially homosexual accounted for (roughly) your statistics and (approximately) 10% identified themselves with a fairly large attraction to the same sex (3 or higher).

Some of the arguments for these attractions was as a form of population control (people in sparser populations report lower attraction levels than higher populations), or as a societal defense mechanism (if there is a massive discrepancy in the population of a particular sex the tensions withing society could collapse it); the choice to act on these impulses for someone who is attracted to both sexes would still be a choice ...