By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN says Sony's trophy system will walk all over Xbox 360's achievements

I really do like the look of the new Trophy system. Does anyone know if games that patch trophies in will backtrack our saved games to automatically give us our "trophies" or will we have to start them all over again?

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

Sounds as meaningless as the Gamerscore, if the only reson your playing a game is to get the score or trophys its kinda sad, but I can see how its addictive WoW works the same way play and play and play for your one item that is out of date the next month and you need to do it all again for the better item.

Retrasado said:
The guy is right though, it's going to stink waiting for devs to add trophies into the games... oh well, at least we have them....

Well, at least the PS3 has a hard drive that we can get game updates for them on.

DragonLord said:
I really do like the look of the new Trophy system. Does anyone know if games that patch trophies in will backtrack our saved games to automatically give us our "trophies" or will we have to start them all over again?

You have to backtrack and start again according to Joystiq. Also, Trophies only apply initially for a handful of games, and wonder how long it will take Sony to apply this to all their first party. Also, it doesnt seem like a mandatory thing that third parties need to do so I wonder how fast the uptake will be. So far only 2 future third parties will have it.

Here is the list:

• BUZZ! Quiz TV
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift
  • NBA 09
  • PAIN**
  • PixelJunk Eden
  • Resistance 2
  • SOCOM: Confrontation
  • Super Stardust HD**
  • Warhawk**

** Requires game update to install Trophies. (And requires you to play again to unlock them.)

Update: PS3 Fanboy informs us of the first two third-party games (!) confirmed to feature Trophies: BioShock and Tiki Games' self-published PSN shooter, Novastrike.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/sony-lists-first-trophy-supported-ps3-games/

kowenicki said:

thats nonsense... it isnt better at all, it is just a different way of doing it, which is good and kind of obvious.. there was no way they would have just copied the 360 way is there. they are both good in their own way.

It is different and that's why the writer likes it better.

Around the Network
PS-She said:
kowenicki said:

thats nonsense... it isnt better at all, it is just a different way of doing it, which is good and kind of obvious.. there was no way they would have just copied the 360 way is there. they are both good in their own way.

It is different and that's why the writer likes it better.

2 writers. :)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I like it more then achievements, but thats not saying much.

It did remind me of this though:

http://xkcd.com/189/

The best way to beat Achievements is to not go near them. They're a replay-killing gimmick, designed to get people to overplay their games to death and get bored a quickly as possible, so they'll run out and buy more games for MOAR POINTZ.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

I honestly don't get the big idea with Gamerscores and Trophies, I find it ludicrous tbh. Such features will never be a selling point or added bonus for me and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this.
Home looks cool but the Trophies bit seems to be its most useless feature to date.

Mummelmann said:
I honestly don't get the big idea with Gamerscores and Trophies, I find it ludicrous tbh. Such features will never be a selling point or added bonus for me and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this.
Home looks cool but the Trophies bit seems to be its most useless feature to date.

I'd say the opposite... Trophies/Achievements are an extension of "high scores", something which has existed for very long. Home, on the other hand, looks like a gimmicky emo-oriented fad.

But hey, opinions...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957