By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted patent for handheld with touchscreen

It came bundled with quite a nice game of chess and a version of solitaire from memory =P

Around the Network
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
The whining is just ridiculous.

Look at how many portable devices have a touchscreen now. Hell, the touch screen may not even be used for games and rather just for multimedia features such as web browsing. But instead people immediately assume that Sony is just copying Nintendo, as if Nintendo invented the touchscreen and that using a winning idea is unheard of (don't use DVD discs Nintendo, you worthless copiers!).

I love the stylus and the accessibility it gives. If Sony is using it for games, all the better. And besides, companies copy a good idea all the time. Just look at how many times Microsoft has copied Sony (or if you wanted to, you could call it implementing successful and/or well received features but they're copiers so screw 'em!).

I agree with everything else, but doesn't nintendo use their own propreity disc?

Uh, no. DVD. In fact, with mods you can play DVD movies on the Wii. Nintendo just doesn't allow the feature, for whatever reason. Gamecube also used DVDs, just mini-dvds.

Actually I was right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_optical_disc Its based off dvds though.

Changing the name and/or having a Wiki entry on the changed name doesn't change the fact that it is DVD. For gamecube, you could (with mod) copy a game onto a DVD-R and play it. The Wii disc sizes just happen to coincide with standard DVD sizes and plays DVDs. That's Sony/Toshiba/Phillips/etc tech. Nintendo would have been smart to use Sony's CD format before PS1 dominated them, too.

Um you do realize that the article also said that it reduced loading times from regular mini dvds, which means the disc is different. It doesn't matter if the drive could play dvds, the discs are different. Otherwise nintendo would have to pay the DVD forum. IT also says developed by Matsushita and Nintendo.

@ Your other post. Just because a phone plays games doesn't mean its a gaming console. Same to you morgyn.

sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
The whining is just ridiculous.

Look at how many portable devices have a touchscreen now. Hell, the touch screen may not even be used for games and rather just for multimedia features such as web browsing. But instead people immediately assume that Sony is just copying Nintendo, as if Nintendo invented the touchscreen and that using a winning idea is unheard of (don't use DVD discs Nintendo, you worthless copiers!).

I love the stylus and the accessibility it gives. If Sony is using it for games, all the better. And besides, companies copy a good idea all the time. Just look at how many times Microsoft has copied Sony (or if you wanted to, you could call it implementing successful and/or well received features but they're copiers so screw 'em!).

I agree with everything else, but doesn't nintendo use their own propreity disc?

Uh, no. DVD. In fact, with mods you can play DVD movies on the Wii. Nintendo just doesn't allow the feature, for whatever reason. Gamecube also used DVDs, just mini-dvds.

Actually I was right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_optical_disc Its based off dvds though.

Changing the name and/or having a Wiki entry on the changed name doesn't change the fact that it is DVD. For gamecube, you could (with mod) copy a game onto a DVD-R and play it. The Wii disc sizes just happen to coincide with standard DVD sizes and plays DVDs. That's Sony/Toshiba/Phillips/etc tech. Nintendo would have been smart to use Sony's CD format before PS1 dominated them, too.

Um you do realize that the article also said that it reduced loading times from regular mini dvds, which means the disc is different. It doesn't matter if the drive could play dvds, the discs are different. Otherwise nintendo would have to pay the DVD forum. IT also says developed by Matsushita and Nintendo.

@ Your other post. Just because a phone plays games doesn't mean its a gaming console. Same to you morgyn.

It's based on DVD, and DVDs worked on the system. The point is Nintendo didn't create disc tech, nd as morgyn points out, they didn't create touch screens, either. Also, you might want to check the Japanese cell-phone gaming scene.

Shameless said:
trestres said:
Here we go again Sony. If this is true, it's really lame IMO. Sony tries to be Nintendo 2.0 confirmed!

What's next? Selda and Maryo I assume.

Remember the rumble pack? Oh, I guess not.

I don't understand your point? Nintendo's rumble pack came before the Dual Shock you realise.

originally the PS1 controllers didn't have analogue sticks, then when Nintendo revealed the N64 controller, Sony came out with the Dual Analogue controller.
Then Nintendo included the rumble pack in with Lylat Wars/Starfox, so Sony added 2 rumble things to the Dual Analogue and called it the Dual Shock.

I think this alone proves how much copying went on.... Nintendo adds something so Sony adds 2.

lol at people getting all excited , or angry , saying that they rip-off Nintendo . First of all its juts a patent , and that means nothing . Even Nintendo had a patent for a mobile phone , and did it ever happened ? NO .

Still , it would be interesting to see what effect a touch-enabled PSP would have on hardware sales :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I'll love it if Nintendo ever adds shoulder buttons to a portable system. Then we can say that Nintendo copied Sony on portable gaming systems! I mean, let's really get down to specifics. Nevermind that shoulder buttons were around long before and they just happened to move to portable systems.

Same thing with touchscreens. Nintendo used it a pure gaming system first. Ok. As others have said, PDAs and phones have them before. Let's move on...

windbane said:
sc94597 said:
snip

It's based on DVD, and DVDs worked on the system. The point is Nintendo didn't create disc tech, nd as morgyn points out, they didn't create touch screens, either. Also, you might want to check the Japanese cell-phone gaming scene.

So pc gaming is popular in korea. Is that a console now? Anyway we are talking specifically in gaming consoles. Not where discs originiate. And then lets say sony and nintendo both copied discs in consoles, because both sega and philips had disc based consoles. Anyway I never said copying was bad.

hunter_alien said:
lol at people getting all excited , or angry , saying that they rip-off Nintendo . First of all its juts a patent , and that means nothing . Even Nintendo had a patent for a mobile phone , and did it ever happened ? NO .

Still , it would be interesting to see what effect a touch-enabled PSP would have on hardware sales :D

I would be shocked if a PSP2 didn't have a touchscreen. Sony already already does it with other products.

ssj12 said:
jhonip said:
where i heard this? Phone + games.... where.... mmmm where....? I got it! the pos called Ngage!!!

there is a difference, Nokia SUCKS

Sony Ericson's phones are freaking great

So Sony Ericson + PlayStation + PSN = DAMN

I agree with this !

Also, nintendo isnt a saint company, they have copied plenty of things in the past guys :\

Check out my game about moles ^

windbane said:
I'll love it if Nintendo ever adds shoulder buttons to a portable system. Then we can say that Nintendo copied Sony on portable gaming systems! I mean, let's really get down to specifics. Nevermind that shoulder buttons were around long before and they just happened to move to portable systems.

Same thing with touchscreens. Nintendo used it a pure gaming system first. Ok. As others have said, PDAs and phones have them before. Let's move on...

There have been shoulder buttons on a portable system since the GBA. lol?