windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
snip

Sony created optical discs parallel to Phillips. They didn't copy anybody with that.

Actually laser disc was created by MCA and like I said before  they weren't the first to bring it to consoles.

Ok, specifically CDs, then. The first successful optical disc. The Phillips cd-i was based on cds...co-developed with Sony. We all know the history with Nintendo back-stabbing Sony, going to Phillips, then not using either one.

Well then sony didn't invent discs, and they weren't the first to bring it into gaming. Also nintendo backstabbing sony?

Sony co-developed the first successful optical format. Actually, wikipedia says some guy at Pioneer had the patent for it anyway. Anyway, I never said Sony was the first console to have cds, I said Nintendo copied the idea of using discs. Most likely, though, Sony was the first to develop the idea, because Nintendo was working with them to make their next console a cd-based one. They were going to call it the "Play Station." Instead, Nintendo scraps the idea and talks to Phillips, instead. So both Sony and Phillips work on the idea, and Nintendo screws them both and makes the N64. Meanwhile, Phillips releases a too-expensive cd-i and Sony releases the "Playstation" and changes videogame history. I thought that was common knowledge, sorry. It was Nintendo's biggest blunder in their history...pretty much everything related to N64.

I know what happend, but I wouldn't call it back stabbing, or screwing. If nintendo have never done that sony would have never joined the console market, and suceeded in it. And actually looking, the turbografix-16 had a cd addon before the snes was released. So they weren't the first to come up with the idea. And like before copying isn't bad.

If Sony hadn't released their own system, it would have been wasted development. It was a betrayal. Nintendo backed out of their agreement and went to another company. It worked out for gamers, but it certainly didn't work out for Nintendo. The turbografx-16 cd wasn't out long before the cd-i. And again, Sony co-developed CDs and made it successful. It's the same as giving Nintendo credit for touchscreens.

The turbografx 16 cd came out 1989, I beleive a decent amount of years before the CD-i. It doesn't matter nintendo brought something new to gaming, sony just made it more popular, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

2 years. Nintendo didn't bring it to gaming. No matter how you word it, though, and no matter who did it first, Nintendo copied the concept with the Gamecube, and did it badly (not as much space as DVDs that every other system used). At least we agree there is nothing wrong with copying, especially if someone else can do it better.

windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
windbane said:
snip

Sony created optical discs parallel to Phillips. They didn't copy anybody with that.

Actually laser disc was created by MCA and like I said before  they weren't the first to bring it to consoles.

Ok, specifically CDs, then. The first successful optical disc. The Phillips cd-i was based on cds...co-developed with Sony. We all know the history with Nintendo back-stabbing Sony, going to Phillips, then not using either one.

Well then sony didn't invent discs, and they weren't the first to bring it into gaming. Also nintendo backstabbing sony?

Sony co-developed the first successful optical format. Actually, wikipedia says some guy at Pioneer had the patent for it anyway. Anyway, I never said Sony was the first console to have cds, I said Nintendo copied the idea of using discs. Most likely, though, Sony was the first to develop the idea, because Nintendo was working with them to make their next console a cd-based one. They were going to call it the "Play Station." Instead, Nintendo scraps the idea and talks to Phillips, instead. So both Sony and Phillips work on the idea, and Nintendo screws them both and makes the N64. Meanwhile, Phillips releases a too-expensive cd-i and Sony releases the "Playstation" and changes videogame history. I thought that was common knowledge, sorry. It was Nintendo's biggest blunder in their history...pretty much everything related to N64.

I know what happend, but I wouldn't call it back stabbing, or screwing. If nintendo have never done that sony would have never joined the console market, and suceeded in it. And actually looking, the turbografix-16 had a cd addon before the snes was released. So they weren't the first to come up with the idea. And like before copying isn't bad.

If Sony hadn't released their own system, it would have been wasted development. It was a betrayal. Nintendo backed out of their agreement and went to another company. It worked out for gamers, but it certainly didn't work out for Nintendo. The turbografx-16 cd wasn't out long before the cd-i. And again, Sony co-developed CDs and made it successful. It's the same as giving Nintendo credit for touchscreens.

The turbografx 16 cd came out 1989, I beleive a decent amount of years before the CD-i. It doesn't matter nintendo brought something new to gaming, sony just made it more popular, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

2 years. Nintendo didn't bring it to gaming. No matter how you word it, though, and no matter who did it first, Nintendo copied the concept with the Gamecube, and did it badly (not as much space as DVDs that every other system used). At least we agree there is nothing wrong with copying, especially if someone else can do it better.

Um I was talking about the ds, and wii. Also what did the gamecube copy? Like I said nintendo used their own propreitary discs, and sony didn't create discs. But even if they did copy its not like its anything bad.

windbane said:
I'll love it if Nintendo ever adds shoulder buttons to a portable system. Then we can say that Nintendo copied Sony on portable gaming systems! I mean, let's really get down to specifics. Nevermind that shoulder buttons were around long before and they just happened to move to portable systems.

Same thing with touchscreens. Nintendo used it a pure gaming system first. Ok. As others have said, PDAs and phones have them before. Let's move on...

Ha ha. Classic.

@ the rest. It's not the point that the tech existed in other formats, it's that Nintendo implement it properly and usually first in the video game market.

On the topic of analog sticks, both the Atari 5200 and the Vectrex had analog sticks back in 1982. Sony also released a dual analog flight stick in 1995 .

In any event, Nintendo did not invent touchscreens, and just because they were the first to use one in a gaming console doesn't mean that another company is "copying" them just because they decide to implement it as well, else Nintendo deserves to die a copier's death as well for using optical media and implementing an online gaming service.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
windbane said:
I'll love it if Nintendo ever adds shoulder buttons to a portable system. Then we can say that Nintendo copied Sony on portable gaming systems! I mean, let's really get down to specifics. Nevermind that shoulder buttons were around long before and they just happened to move to portable systems.

Same thing with touchscreens. Nintendo used it a pure gaming system first. Ok. As others have said, PDAs and phones have them before. Let's move on...

Ha ha. Classic.

@ the rest. It's not the point that the tech existed in other formats, it's that Nintendo implement it properly and usually first in the video game market.

The argument often trotted out and when backwards compatibility, optical media, memory cards these same people disregard them, bringing out the old stalwarts of rumble and analogue, even tho some were used in consoles before nintendo.

LOL the whole who copied who discussion is bullshit.

Everything has been done before. Implementing a feature consumers like in competitor's products is good for competition.
Always releasing a carbon copy of the competitor product 6 months later is a different story.

But I do not think anyone can accuse Sony (or Nintendo or at least in the gaming world Microsoft) of this.

The PSX was clearly superior to the N64 and the PSP was in many areas ground-breaking, using motion controls as main input for the Wii was a brave innovative step for Nintendo and Microsoft did lots of innovation by bringing PC online features to the console world. So stop bitching.

Morgyn said:
TWRoO said:
windbane said:

Ha ha. Classic.

The argument often trotted out and when backwards compatibility, optical media, memory cards these same people disregard them, bringing out the old stalwarts of rumble and analogue, even tho some were used in consoles before nintendo.

Nintendo brought Sony in (then pushed them out) to start with for optical media anyway. And there wasn't a need for memory cards before optical media.

I kind of agree with backward compatibility though, I think Game Boy Colour is really the first (notable) sysem to do it, but it is often considered as the same console so it's an odd one.

Atari 7800, Complete 2600 backwards compatibility. (5200 also had BC, but required an adapter. Other than than that the Genesis had complete Master System compatibility requiring only a cartridge adapter)

Atari 5200, Analogue controllers, 4 controller ports.

"noteable" is far too fuzzy to be included. If it was done before, it was done before.

i dont get the people in this thread, so many new handhelds have touch screens and out of all the companies making touchscreen devices sony copies nintendo???? shut the fuck up already