By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted patent for handheld with touchscreen

Galaki said:
Stuffing a handheld console into a phone side is not a good idea.

It'll either be too small for gaming or too big for a phone.

It'll also make the console too complicated for teh kidz.

It will not success as a gaming console if it only utilize touch sensitive.

Buttons are a necessary.

Gaming burn battery fast. I would prefer the 2 separate so I don't have to worry about battery running out while gaming on the go.

I don't think it would need to be any bigger than the current slim PSP.

Add a touch screen with an on- screen collapsible keyboard like a PDA, a Bluetooth headset for calls and a GSM card slot and away you go.

It can even have in-game XMB for messages and phoning imo.

And with advances in battery tech, they might even last a few days before recharging, depending on how often games are played, drives accessed etc.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

The whining is just ridiculous.

Look at how many portable devices have a touchscreen now. Hell, the touch screen may not even be used for games and rather just for multimedia features such as web browsing. But instead people immediately assume that Sony is just copying Nintendo, as if Nintendo invented the touchscreen and that using a winning idea is unheard of (don't use DVD discs Nintendo, you worthless copiers!).

I love the stylus and the accessibility it gives. If Sony is using it for games, all the better. And besides, companies copy a good idea all the time. Just look at how many times Microsoft has copied Sony (or if you wanted to, you could call it implementing successful and/or well received features but they're copiers so screw 'em!).

MontanaHatchet said:

Look at how many portable devices have a touchscreen now. Hell, the touch screen may not even be used for games and rather just for multimedia features such as web browsing. But instead people immediately assume that Sony is just copying Nintendo, as if Nintendo invented the touchscreen and that using a winning idea is unheard of (don't use DVD discs Nintendo, you worthless copiers!).

I love the stylus and the accessibility it gives. If Sony is using it for games, all the better. And besides, companies copy a good idea all the time. Just look at how many times Microsoft has copied Sony (or if you wanted to, you could call it implementing successful and/or well received features but they're copiers so screw 'em!).

I agree with everything else, but doesn't nintendo use their own propreity disc?

Also Weezy, don't quote things that are highly offensive. You've probably give money to Sony in some way or another in your life, so don't beat yourself up.

sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I agree with everything else, but doesn't nintendo use their own propreity disc?

Uh, no. DVD. In fact, with mods you can play DVD movies on the Wii. Nintendo just doesn't allow the feature, for whatever reason. Gamecube also used DVDs, just mini-dvds.

Around the Network
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Uh, no. DVD. In fact, with mods you can play DVD movies on the Wii. Nintendo just doesn't allow the feature, for whatever reason. Gamecube also used DVDs, just mini-dvds.

Actually I was right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_optical_disc Its based off dvds though.

Yeah Sony have never made handheld touch screen devices before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P800

Uh what? 2002.. but that's before the DS... omgsno!

Oh and the first ever implementation of a touchscreen, on a HP-150. Who made the actual screen? Oh yes. Sony..

Damn those copycats.

sc94597 said:
windbane said:
sc94597 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Actually I was right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_optical_disc Its based off dvds though.

Changing the name and/or having a Wiki entry on the changed name doesn't change the fact that it is DVD. For gamecube, you could (with mod) copy a game onto a DVD-R and play it. The Wii disc sizes just happen to coincide with standard DVD sizes and plays DVDs. That's Sony/Toshiba/Phillips/etc tech. Nintendo would have been smart to use Sony's CD format before PS1 dominated them, too.

Morgyn said:

I think people are angry about it  going in a gaming device, which means copying nintendo nintendo.  I don't see the problem with it though. I actually think it shows how much they see nintendo as sucessful.

sc94597 said:
Morgyn said:

I think people are angry about it  going in a gaming device, which means copying nintendo nintendo.  I don't see the problem with it though. I actually think it shows how much they see nintendo as sucessful.

That phone probably had games on it, since most phones do.