By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 smash the 360 in sales this Christmas?

Nidan said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Nidan said:
MontanaHatchet said:
WarmachineX said:
No way in hell. Sony has no chance will Gear 2 coming out.

Ohh, just like when Halo freakin' 3 came out last holiday season (which, by the way, is a far larger game than Gears 2) and the PS3 still handily outsold the 360.

If memory serves, the PS2's second year was its strongest, and I think it will be the same with the PS3. 360 sales are strong this year, but with the 360, the holiday season back in '07 started for it in September. Now, the holiday season won't really start until Gears 2 launches (which is when, November).

The PS3 will be stronger this season than last, especially now that it has a strong exclusive lineup and is a lot more popular. The 360 lineup, while good, can not measure up to 2007 (Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock) and the sales will show that.

What are you talking about, go check the data on this website. From the period that halo3 came out til christmas Xbox sold more world wide (by a handy margin) than Ps3.

It is only after christmas when the PS3 started to outsell the Xbox360 by a good margin.

Actually, the Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by about 200k in the time from the Halo 3 launch to the holiday season, and the PS3 was still victorious during December (and perhaps parts of November, don't wanna check).

It had a headstart in September, October, and perhaps November, but overall the PS3 sold more during the most important time and the 360 won't have the same advantage this year as the two consoles have comparable lineups.

I stand corrected, it did only outsell the PS3 by 200K. i was thinking halo3 launched earlier. Still the two systems through December/some of novemeber were very equal.

I know that at christmas i visited a half dozen shops in different areas and the retails were out of Xbox360 for over around 1 1/2 weeks. Infact one shop had a sign on the xbox360 demo which said something like. "out of Wii's and 360's but got lots of PS3's, so thumbs up"

In my area at least they were sales constrained by the lack of units.

Well, you live in the United Kingdom, which is the most popular territory for the 360 in PAL next to countries such as Korea. In the rest of Europe (save for maybe like, Sweden) and perhaps other parts of the world, the PS3 is far more popular.

Kowenicki:

If you noticed, the 360 has a vastly greater exclusive lineup in holiday season '07 compared to the PS3 (Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock) whereas the PS3 had, what? Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted? Now we're talking about the '08 holiday season. The PS3 has been doing much better this year than the last, and there's a lot of large games coming in '08 for the system that you just would not have found in '07. Not only that, but history will show you that the PS2 did better in its second year than its first, if only for supply reasons.

And as for exclusives on a cheaper system, hell, the 360 has all those old exclusives right now whereas the PS3 doesn't have the large exclusives it will get later this year. Yet why is the PS3 winning week after week after week? Because the two systems are pretty much tied in America and the PS3 is completely whooping the 360 in Japan and PAL.

Around the Network

ps3 will sell more over the 2008 xmas period than 360

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

well consider that the 360 might have price cut