By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 smash the 360 in sales this Christmas?

heres another take what if ps3 owners decide xmas they want the 360 so they dont have to worry about not getting to play any game they want.
ok that could work both ways still just another take on it.

ot I think the ps3 will sell more this xmas. man I hate saying that lol.

Around the Network

PS3 will continue to outsell the 360 this year and beyond. The only times that the 360 will outsell the PS3 will be when a huge game launches, or a price drop week. But for at least 50 weeks out of every year for the next four or five years, PS3 will outsell 360.

the ps3 will smash the 360 in japan and europe (except the uk )but not north america because of gears 2 coming out

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

The stuff fan boys say in these threads. I call BS. It is too soon to predict sales of 4 to 5 years based on just sales trends of the past 7 months. Before the past 7 months everyone would say the PS3 would never outsell the X360 in worldwide total sales.
Lots of things can change. Many uncertain things could happen. Price cuts and games.
The Wii is selling at more than double the rate of the PS3 and the X360. PS3 has outsold the X360 in first 18 months by 15% up to same time period.

MontanaHatchet said:
Nidan said:
MontanaHatchet said:
WarmachineX said:
No way in hell. Sony has no chance will Gear 2 coming out.

Ohh, just like when Halo freakin' 3 came out last holiday season (which, by the way, is a far larger game than Gears 2) and the PS3 still handily outsold the 360.

If memory serves, the PS2's second year was its strongest, and I think it will be the same with the PS3. 360 sales are strong this year, but with the 360, the holiday season back in '07 started for it in September. Now, the holiday season won't really start until Gears 2 launches (which is when, November).

The PS3 will be stronger this season than last, especially now that it has a strong exclusive lineup and is a lot more popular. The 360 lineup, while good, can not measure up to 2007 (Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock) and the sales will show that.

What are you talking about, go check the data on this website. From the period that halo3 came out til christmas Xbox sold more world wide (by a handy margin) than Ps3.

It is only after christmas when the PS3 started to outsell the Xbox360 by a good margin.

Actually, the Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by about 200k in the time from the Halo 3 launch to the holiday season, and the PS3 was still victorious during December (and perhaps parts of November, don't wanna check).

It had a headstart in September, October, and perhaps November, but overall the PS3 sold more during the most important time and the 360 won't have the same advantage this year as the two consoles have comparable lineups.

I stand corrected, it did only outsell the PS3 by 200K. i was thinking halo3 launched earlier. Still the two systems through December/some of novemeber were very equal.

I know that at christmas i visited a half dozen shops in different areas and the retails were out of Xbox360 for over around 1 1/2 weeks. Infact one shop had a sign on the xbox360 demo which said something like. "out of Wii's and 360's but got lots of PS3's, so thumbs up"

In my area at least they were sales constrained by the lack of units.

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Around the Network

wow, I didnt know people felt so strongly about this

Ps3 outsold 360 last christmas i dont see why ps3 can do it this year too.

Tbone said:
Ps3 outsold 360 last christmas i dont see why ps3 can do it this year too.

I believe that the margin will be a whole lot greater than last years...especially with the lineup of this year.

Kinda hard to tell before E3. Im sure both Sony and MS will come out slugging at E3 which can bring a lot of other factors into the equation. Also can Sony afford a pricedrop this year? With it's current sales i'd figure they would at least wait until 2009 to make that call since the PS3 has stabalized itself nicely.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

PS3 may well and truly significantly outsell the X360 by the end of the generation by more than an extra 20 million consoles LTD but at what cost? PS3 will have a reduced market share. Say PS3 crawls up to 30% this generation. PS2 had market share of 80% last generation. PS3 will be lucky to recoup the 3 billion dollar losses and rising. Today every PS3 sold still results in a $100US loss per PS3 sold. It will take a year or so before PS3 starts making a profit per unit sold.
Xmas sales period PS3 outsell X360 by around one million for the month of December. $100 million loss for selling an extra million PS3's for one month.