By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has profit from GT5:P covered the development costs of GT5?

Yakuzaice said:

Remember that they will get a bigger cut from the downloaded copies than the retail ones.

Also because they are first party they not only get the developers cut, but the publishers but, and the liscencing fee.  So Sony would get at least $25 of the $40.  So 2.23 x 25 = 55.75 went into Sony's bank account because of this game not counting online sales.

So to the OP, this very well could have covered development costs of GT5.

Around the Network

I think it helped alot.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

if it keeps selling it will.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

Well, according to an interview Yamauchi revealed that GT5 costs about 50 times more to make than the original GT. So whatever the production cost for GT was, multiply that by 50. I'm guessing GT5 costs at least $100 million to make.

http://www.developmag.com/news/29626/Polyphony-looks-to-PC-game-development

This site and development costs...

We have no idea how much the game costs or how many sales are required for it to be profitable. I fail to see why gamers would really care...

Around the Network

If all the rumors are true (time to make a car, lince of cars, etc), i don't think that develop something like this would only cost $50m, but what its sure is that it helped a lot

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

@bobobologna: "I remember reading that a couple car companies give Polyphony free licenses to use their cars because the game is so popular."

This is most likely true. Most car companies fall all over themselves to get their cars in the game. For example, Nissan is in absolute love with the GT series. If you've ever seen pics of the Polyphony offices, there's Nissan paraphenalia strewn about all over the place because they send over so much swag. The CEO Carlos Ghosn has gone on record to say that the popularity of the Skyline in America has almost everything to do with Gran Turismo. That free marketing has led to Nissan making their next generation version, the GTR, US legal. It's pretty safe to say that the companies that aren't in the game are the only ones demanding licensing fees (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc). Most companies see the free marketing and just give their license away.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

bobobologna said:
shams said:
Probably about half. GT Mobile is sort of lumped in there, and its all about funding the entire Polyphony company. They also have other back sales.

Licensing all of the cars, and doing things like recording accurate sounds for the cars won't be an easy (or cheap) thing to do.

GT5 is likely to have an overall development & marketing budget approaching 80m-100m. So even if GT Prologue covered 25% of this - its a good return.

(since its Sony published, they are likely to make a few extra $ from each software unit sold as well)

I remember reading that a couple car companies give Polyphony free licenses to use their cars because the game is so popular.  I'm not sure what the situation is now, especially if Polyphony wants to incorporate car damage, but considering how big and popular the GT series is, I'm sure more than a few companies would jump at the chance to have their cars in GT5.

This would go both ways. The "less popular" (or fancy?) cars see this as an opportunity for free marketing, and potential sales.

The "more popular" cars sell themselves - and its more of a benefit to GT to have them included than the other way around. So they would be demanding license fees.

In general, the "more content" in a product like this - the less keen companies are to put their products in it. Its because it "dilutes the value of their content". So for instance, a company like Ferrari might be more keen to give a company an exclusive license to create a "Ferrari branded" game - than to add Ferrari vehicles to GT (where they become a few out of a thousand).

Since GT5 will/does have strong online elements, Sony can always add cars later - so I guess they could focus on license free cars for now.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
bobobologna said:
shams said:
Probably about half. GT Mobile is sort of lumped in there, and its all about funding the entire Polyphony company. They also have other back sales.

Licensing all of the cars, and doing things like recording accurate sounds for the cars won't be an easy (or cheap) thing to do.

GT5 is likely to have an overall development & marketing budget approaching 80m-100m. So even if GT Prologue covered 25% of this - its a good return.

(since its Sony published, they are likely to make a few extra $ from each software unit sold as well)

I remember reading that a couple car companies give Polyphony free licenses to use their cars because the game is so popular. I'm not sure what the situation is now, especially if Polyphony wants to incorporate car damage, but considering how big and popular the GT series is, I'm sure more than a few companies would jump at the chance to have their cars in GT5.

This would go both ways. The "less popular" (or fancy?) cars see this as an opportunity for free marketing, and potential sales.

The "more popular" cars sell themselves - and its more of a benefit to GT to have them included than the other way around. So they would be demanding license fees.

In general, the "more content" in a product like this - the less keen companies are to put their products in it. Its because it "dilutes the value of their content". So for instance, a company like Ferrari might be more keen to give a company an exclusive license to create a "Ferrari branded" game - than to add Ferrari vehicles to GT (where they become a few out of a thousand).

Since GT5 will/does have strong online elements, Sony can always add cars later - so I guess they could focus on license free cars for now.

True. That's exactly why you've seen just about every company/brand in the game except Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche. I'm betting they're the only ones who want to get paid so that Polyphony has the honor to market their vehicles.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

hmm GT5 is meant to cost 50x GT1 cost...

GT1 was a high profile game -- but still a new IP so id guess it would of cost 1.2 - 1.5 million to make. Therefore GT5 proberly costs 60 - 75 million.

Of that im guessing GT5:P will sell 3 million LTD when GT5 is released. SONY should make about 60 million off GT5:P in revenue ... leaving a cost of 0 - 15 million for GT5...

The 60 million is based off 3 million sales @ $20 per copy...
$40 for the game = $5 manufacturing,shipping, $15 retail, $10 licensce(SONY), $10 publisher(SONY).

Ohh and devlopers rarely get any money for making games. The publishers gets the money because the publishers finance the game.