By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is in a unique situation. This E3 and the next 6 months critical.

Source. I understand that you wish to keep you're contacts confidence, so all I'm going to ask for is a comprehensive list of new titles, release dates and Microsoft's strategic plan.

You're contact should be cool with that right?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Source. I understand that you wish to keep you're contacts confidence, so all I'm going to ask for is a comprehensive list of new titles, release dates and Microsoft's strategic plan.

Here's a hint:

TheSource said:

Its actually not even an NDA, I just want to keep getting info so its best not to violate the trust of my sources.

In terms of strategy I think we can expect three things from Microsoft:

1) Wii imitation in some way (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).

2) Price drop to ~$230/$300/$400 in the USA

3) Announcements intended to make Xbox 360 content competitive in continental Europe with Wii & PS3 and Japan, and more profitable in the Americas.

I have some info on number one and number three, number two is based on the K-Mart circular leak that showed somek ind of 360-price drop.

But the ways things look right now, Sony & Nintendo are just more inventive. Microsoft has become known for games like Gears of War, but what they need are lots of games like popular franchises in genres where 360 is weak (Final Fantasy), more abstract stuff (Little Big Planet, Pikmin, Zack & Wiki), and exclusive blockbusters that don't fit the racing/shooting/western rpg mold (Banjo Kazooie could do it, but it takes more than one).

My hunch is Xbox 360 gets to 40-50 million worldwide, sometime around when Obama is running for his second term, but after this year the rest of the Xbox 360 base will come from price drops rather than 'content additions' which make the 360 seem worth it. Most people who want it as their primary system will have bought it by the end of this year. I think thats one of the secrets to Wii actually - in terms of technology - it is over priced hardware, but alot of the exclusive software is so unique that it doesn't 'feel' over priced at all if you like the content. PS3 is sort of in between, the content makes it easier to justify the price with time, but its similar enough to Xbox 360 and different enough from Wii to limit the upside compared to PS2/DS/Wii.

2. Bolded, woudn't the try to differentiate the SKU instead of just dropping the price? They make the least amount of money from this SKU back in terms of Live/Online services and profit on the unit itself. Wouldn't it just be smarter to keep the price as-is and put an Xmote type copy of the Wiimote with it instead of the standard controller?

Tease.

vaio said:

MrBubbles said:
Here was the whole microsoft plan for the 360...

Step 1
Release system earlier than competitors

Step 2
Steal Sony´s marketshare and exclusives

Step 3
Copy Nintendo

Step 4
Profit!

Fixed it for you

what sony exclu ??? the one they stole before MS ?? if anything MS has been in the VG business way before Sony

copy nintendo with what ??? motion controle the stuff MS did way before anyone else with motorcross madness ????

jstam said:
source, in regards to number 3...... I am shooting blanks as to what it could possibly be.......

what can microsoft possibly devise to become more content competitive in continental Europe???

anyone with any ideas for that 1?

yeah get winning eleven exclusive with an awesome live compatibility.... but i'm not sure they can get it like Sony did back in the days.... i even almost certain they can't.... the move they could do though on EA is to buy the official sports licence for them :) i'm not sure how that stuff work..... does EA signs year by year or like 10 years exclu contracts, anyone knows.... ????

after that don't forget that MS is good at buying dev studio they might make a couple moves on that front too who knows.. I mean there is plenty of possibilities.. the question is, is it doable or do they want to take that direction ??

Around the Network
Shameless said:
starcraft said:

Here's a hint:

A new photoshopping game? I didn't realize Microsoft was so gunho towards the casual gamers now!

yeah forza 3.... lol you can map your cars with real pictures and edit them lol :)

scottie said:
Microsoft has gone out of their way to say they aren't going to bring out a Blu Ray 360, and this from a company that "does not respond to rumours or speculation"

I don't believe in the x-mote and at this point consider it a rumour.

In my opinion, Microsoft games division is loving life and won't change much.
They have made some money
Sony is no longer dominating, hence they're less of a threat to Window's doominance of home entertainment
The 360 will outsell the original xbox soon

you sir........

deserve a cookie

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

@cracksmoke= dude Hd-Dvd is dead. there wont be anymore titles coming out. Hd-Dvd is history :s

1) We all forget that Mr Gates has left the MS household for charity work. I think he had a big input on the 360 not getting a BR drive. Now that he has left the 360 may get a BR drive. Personally speaking the 360 will have to do something about the disk format they are using for their games. If they don't, all future games will seriously be limited in content next to the ps3 games (especially is Sony decide to pull their finger out of their backsides and create some bad a$$ in-house titles). Whilst game designers will be able to use the 40gig BR space to design large scale games without the worry of space limitations, the 360 will struggle.

2) if 360 slows down in sales, i wouldn't be surprised if MS launch a new console. They lack anything which is next generation (other then its graphics card). They have no motions sensors, no next gen disk drive and the only way the 360 can keep up is to release new SKU's or ask its user base to continuously upgrade which is lame. A MS spokes person has already hinted if they don't go for BR its because they plan to make all content available digitally :S does this mean they expect all its users to download all their games and movies in the future :s Is this a way for MS to shift Hard drives :s sounds like they haven't fully thought out anything yet! another thing to consider is whilst Sony make consoles with a 10yr life span, MS has proven with the xbox, they make their console with a 5yr life span!

3) The only thing that will keep the 360 afloat (if no changes are to be implemented) is if they chose to buy out more exclusives and launch more of their own franchise games (Halo's, Fable's and Gears of War). But even then, how long before a Gears of War clone is made with better graphics, larger maps and better gameplay? I have played Gears of War (f'ing awesome game) but unlike GTA which is highly complicated due to its scale and number of missions, Gears of War is pretty simple. It won't be long before an established game designer takes this formula and improves on it.

4) MS will have to put on a great show this year. Whatever they do, they will have to fight off games such as; God of War 3, GT5, MotorStorm2, Killzone2, Resistance2, Tekken, Little Big Planet, PS Home and any other surprises Sony may decide to throw at them. Above it all, the rest of the year will be about MS proving to its user that it has more to offer then its rivals. Being limited in what they can bring (unless the 360 owners splash out more money on extra peripherals and add ons) there isn't much they can bring to the table :s

Yup, these next 6 months will be crucial but at the moment it seems to be a case or premature ejac! an early victory in battle but an eventual loss in war

m$ can only go up in my book. They already have an incredible library and line-up(an I havent even heard anything new about Pete Jackson's project or Alan Wake) that whatever they announce is icing on the cake. M$ has my money for the next round.