By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is in a unique situation. This E3 and the next 6 months critical.

Posts in this thread are so long they make me dizzy.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

LOL. Long winded with nothing substantial. It is almost like a Michael Bay movie. M$ continuously improves their services(check out the list of shit for Fall update, and probable E3 announcements for more enhancements) and games catalog. They continue to provide me with compelling game experiences and that is what I bought a game console for. They are also guaranteed great games for the rest of its life cycle and if you think otherwise, you are naive.

Fei-Hung said:
sorry, my mistake for not being clear on what i meant by MS falling apart (please note, its just an opinion). I don't mean the 360 will go broke or anything in those lines, what I meant is:

1) although having a good head start, now they may have to start compensating for not including next gen features that the Wii and ps3 offer.
2) Start to think of ways in which they can stay ahead or keep in line with its competitor if games do become larger.
3) What they can offer online gamers now that the new firmware has landed and proven to be successful enough to rival xbl on a more serious level.
4) With the PS3 library growing and better titles now appearing on the PS3 (one of the main reason why the PS3 had a shit start), what MS can do to keep people interested enough to stop switching consoles.

As a businessman, i can't just sit there ignoring these facts. The PS3 is constantly improving on what it offers to buyers and its users. Every month they give more reasons why one should by a PS3 over a 360. If someone was to rival me by constantly introducing new features and new products, I would have to offer my clients something similar before my clients feel underprivileged and move away from me. That's commonsense and it happens with every product; whether it is mp3 players, pc's (look at how Apple has started to steel away MS clients over the last few years for MS not being as innovative), mobile phones or any other gadgets.

Admittedly for now, the 360 is doing better and offers a better gaming library, but this is just for now. If PS3 have gained this many extra sales and been able to out sell the 360 for the majority of this year (with one simple price cut and just 1 of many long awaited titles being released), what will happen at the next ps3 price drop or the next time they release a triple AAA title?

As for JaggedSac saying "M$ console business is falling apart? They sell boatloads of software and rake in tons of money from XBoxLive". what you have totally failed to recognise is what happens when someone who owns a 360 trades it in for a ps3. The general public cant afford to have both. They trade one in for the other. So not only has MS lost out on the yearly subscription, but they have also lost out on software sales. So although you can say 26mil 360's have been sold, and software sales are awesome (for now). a lot of these large hardware number won't mean much when the ps3 steps up another gear (if MS fails to do anything about the long-term predicament they are in). i remember when the xbox and the ps2 were battling it out. most the stores in my city were refusing to buy xbox's because so many people had come in to return them and they were not shifting. Meanwhile, everyone was queuing up to buy the slimline ps2's or trade in their xbox's.

I am not looking at the situation MS are in from a fanboy's point of view. I'm just looking at it thinking if this was my company and i owned the 360, what could i do to keep ahead of my rivals and will trying to buy out exclusives be a feasible risk in hoping I keep my clientele base. In my opinion- NO!

For 1st, my rival has bigger and better triple AAA exclusives which are in-house that have an enormous following (GT, Tekken, God of War, MGS, FF, Crash Bandicoot, Ridge RAcer, Time Crisis, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, Wipeout, Way of the Samurai, Jax and Daxter, Motorstorm and many more) and they won't need to bride anyone to make them exclusive. If i keep buying 3 party exclusives and it doesn't work in my favor, i will have gambled a huge portion of my companies capital for no good.

Secondly, if i do nothing, then my clientele will be unhappy for not offering them what my rival is offering them at a better price with less hassle (blue-ray, motion controls, eye toy, free online gaming, div x player). If i won't accept this as a customer, why should my customers accept it!

Last but not least, if I keep asking my clients to keep purchasing parts to upgrade their console, will they eventually get fed up for having to continuously fork out extra money to have their console kept up to datee.g.

PS3) for £315 you get, blue ray player, 40 gig hard drive, div ex player, the console, blue tooth, easily upgradable hard drive from any pc store, blue tooth and wire less.

360) for £220 you get basic 360, no hard drive, no wire less (basic features). if i wanted to match the above i will need to buy: wireless accessory which is around £15, cooling kit (unless youre fond of the ring off death) which is about £15, 20gig hard drive which is about £70 and 1 year subscription for xbox live which is about £40. Grand total to have a up to spec 360 will cost you £370 with an additional cost of £40 every year for another year of xbox live. and even with these upgrades, my 360 wont offer as much as my rivals ps3 as well as end up being far more costly then the ps3.

With this many concerns I would start thinking twice about my short lived glory unless I dont care and i am happy enjoying today's profits and don't give a shit about tomorrow. And if there are no solutions in the pipeline, then yes, I would accept that things will start to fall apart if i dont do something very good very soon, i will be losing a lot of my customers to my rival.

Again you missed the fact that the huge fall update that is coming to XBL. I play both PSN and XBL avidly and while I like PSN being free, I certainly feel like im getting my moneys worth on XBL. Basically I would be disappointed if I had to pay for PSN and feel like I was getting away with murder if I wasn't paying for XBL. This topic needs to be taken out back and shot lol

One simple price cut? 200 US is not a "simple" price cut. It's also a move that's put Sony deep into the red this gen.

To refute the rest of this the AAA exclusives are all a matter of opinion as to what is better. People will lean toward either one. The PS3 library pales into comparison, still tho thankfully they are starting to put out more quality titles.  (loved MGS4)

Hardware: Eyetoy...are you even serious I doubt that a a lot of 360 owners are sitting at home killing themselves b/c the 360 doesn't have the eye toy. Motion Controls: E3   Blue Ray: Ok heres the kicker. I like Blue Ray but the disks are expensive. Tho Blue Ray played a large role in keeping the console in the race but it could also say that it kept them behind. Sony fans might disagree with me but I would rather of had the PS3 without the Blue Ray which would make the console a lot cheaper and Sony would have payed more attention to the games. You said it yourself PS3 had a "shit" start b/c of few games. I'm not sure what innovation you are talking about. Other than Blue Ray and the more powerful machine what innovation has Sony done to the PS3? Other than MGS4 whats happened over the last few months to entice ppl to buy a PS3 more than a 360 or Wii? What are these updates?

The whole thing on trading consoles in and what not. What makes you think that people don't trade their PS3s in. And 360 owners notoriously buy a crap ton of software but who knows if could pick up for Sony.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

TheSource said:

Its actually not even an NDA, I just want to keep getting info so its best not to violate the trust of my sources.

In terms of strategy I think we can expect three things from Microsoft:

1) Wii imitation in some way (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).

2) Price drop to ~$230/$300/$400 in the USA

3) Announcements intended to make Xbox 360 content competitive in continental Europe with Wii & PS3 and Japan, and more profitable in the Americas.

I have some info on number one and number three, number two is based on the K-Mart circular leak that showed somek ind of 360-price drop.

But the ways things look right now, Sony & Nintendo are just more inventive. Microsoft has become known for games like Gears of War, but what they need are lots of games like popular franchises in genres where 360 is weak (Final Fantasy), more abstract stuff (Little Big Planet, Pikmin, Zack & Wiki), and exclusive blockbusters that don't fit the racing/shooting/western rpg mold (Banjo Kazooie could do it, but it takes more than one).

My hunch is Xbox 360 gets to 40-50 million worldwide, sometime around when Obama is running for his second term, but after this year the rest of the Xbox 360 base will come from price drops rather than 'content additions' which make the 360 seem worth it. Most people who want it as their primary system will have bought it by the end of this year. I think thats one of the secrets to Wii actually - in terms of technology - it is over priced hardware, but alot of the exclusive software is so unique that it doesn't 'feel' over priced at all if you like the content. PS3 is sort of in between, the content makes it easier to justify the price with time, but its similar enough to Xbox 360 and different enough from Wii to limit the upside compared to PS2/DS/Wii.

Hmm.... That's interesting. I wonder how Sony will counteract this. If they can at all...

M'Soft is all about the software, so I think they can do well at this E3 if the following games (for which nothing to little is known) show up AND impress:

Pete Jackson's episodic Halo
Halo Wars
Alan Wake
GTA4 Exclusive Downloadable Content (Maybe in the form of Nikko heading to San Andreas)
Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The price drop obviously wont hurt either... nor would a more robust dashboard with more multimedia options...  All in all i think they're in better shape than people are giving them credit for.

Around the Network

I'm going to go ahead and add Left4dead to that game list too...

I know Valve games typically underperform on consoles, but the gameplay and style of L4D--not to mention the addition of local multiplayer (at least for co-op)--makes me think this one will do better than its predecessors from valve did on the 360.

Yep, they are in pretty damn good position in my eyes. I am anticipating every one of those things you mentioned(except the GTA4 content). Especially stuff about Live. I am crossing my fingers for a NetFlix partnership.

JaggedSac said:
Yep, they are in pretty damn good position in my eyes. I am anticipating every one of those things you mentioned(except the GTA4 content). Especially stuff about Live. I am crossing my fingers for a NetFlix partnership.

Couldn't have said any better.  MS has set themselves very up well for the next several years especially in NA.  As for the guy who was saying that MS didn't give the 360 enough nex gen features, you have definately missed the point.  Out of all the three consoles the 360 holds the most nex gen features aside from a large disc storage medium the 360 is in the best position to expand it's abilities.

By the way I'm also hoping for the Netflix partnership.  I use the 360 video service almost exclusively for my rentals and a partnership with Netflix would be great to expand the library.

"Out of all the three consoles the 360 holds the most nex gen features aside from a large disc storage medium the 360 is in the best position to expand it's abilities"

who are you trying to kid? 360 has the most next gen features? i own a 360 and a ps3 and my friends owns a wii. I can assure you having played each one of these consoles the 360 has one next gen feature and that is its graphics card! other then this it offers nothing new compared to the ps3 or wii. You sure u haven't got a 360 mixed up with something else? hehehehehe ur funny.

As for Expanding its qualities: yeah, i think every console has the possibility to expand. The difference is for the 360 to stand par with its rivals (in the context for next gen features), it will have to do a lot of expensive expanding.

Also i have been going over what new offerings e3 may bring to both the ps3 and 360 (i cant be bothered keeping both anymore :s i'm planning to replace one of them with a wii) and from the top 10 put forward by sony and MS, its Sony that is offering more exclusives (7/10).

The difference between me and you guys is, i dont give a sh** bout sony or MS and therefor i dont end up talking crap due to fanboy loyalty. from all the comments i have come across on this site SCAT398, ur comment comes across like a line from a spoof film made by the wayans brothers after a night out drinking until they have lost all sense. Although i have to thank you since it was most amusing. Humor is something which we lack in todays society and you done a very good job humoring us. Thank you.

^^You make a good point about next-gen features, but...even so, in light of all of its shortcomings, it is still selling boatloads more software than the PS3. I feel bad for PS3 since this would be similar to a kid with handicapped legs beating a kid with better than normal legs in a foot race. And then there is the whole RROD death thing. Even with this 360's public stigma of bad hardware, the PS3 is still struggling, at the rate it is outselling the 360 it will be like 4-5 years before it catches up. I just feel bad for them having to struggle to catch up to a handicapped kid.