By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is in a unique situation. This E3 and the next 6 months critical.

starcraft said:
I think that in the event of dire (and I mean DIRE) console sales numbers, Microsoft needs to be prepared for another small cut in November (in addition to the July one coming up).

I don't believe that will be necessary however, if they have properly planned out software for this holiday. Their current line-up easily matches and exceeds the PS3's current line-up for this year. As long as all those titles hit this year and they at least match Sony's announcements at E3, Microsoft will be fine.

Let's hold our horses on the July Price drop.  All we have are a few blurry pics from K-mart and no mention of an Elite or Arcade price drop.  So I'd not hold my breath on it being anything more than clearing out stock. 

Also, let's not judge holiday line-ups based off of Pre-E3 lineups.  You don't know what's coming this year, so saying that their line-up exceeds sony currently is incorrect, as we don't know their line-up currently.  I think a "wait and see" approach is best taken, let's see what happens at E3 and then draw conclusions.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
Microsoft is doing fine as I see it; the console is doing much better than its predecessor hardware-wise and is the software king. What's to worry about?

The worry is that MS have successfully tapped out one market segment in one region only.  It's still relatively early in this console cycle, and if 360 system sales stay low (relative to the competition), software support will falter (don't forget to factor in the higher cost of developement compared to the Wii).

MS has to get the 360 out of it's "hardcore rut", otherwise it will become a Gamecube at best, a NEO-GEO at worst...

Squilliam said:
Actually Nintendo has shown the value in educational products in the market. There are a lot of educational products for people from the age of 3+ on the PC and it should be a relatively simple job of porting.

A lot of what they do now is simply filling the gaps of their lineup, they need to provide something for everyone from the age of 4+ and educational games fill that gap quite nicely. If the 360 can be used for teenagers and the little kids then it obviously has much more value to families.

Wait, GTA 4 doesn't fill 3+ and educational gap enough??? 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Say NO to the x-mote!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

montrealsoon said:
routsounmanman said:
Microsoft is doing fine as I see it; the console is doing much better than its predecessor hardware-wise and is the software king. What's to worry about?

The worry is that MS have successfully tapped out one market segment in one region only.  It's still relatively early in this console cycle, and if 360 system sales stay low (relative to the competition), software support will falter (don't forget to factor in the higher cost of developement compared to the Wii).

MS has to get the 360 out of it's "hardcore rut", otherwise it will become a Gamecube at best, a NEO-GEO at worst...

software support is dictated by the sales volume relative to the competition and that's where 360 shines; IMO Microsoft shouldn't adapt to the casual market during this generation rather endorse the hardcore customers even more. The console just needs tons of advertising in Europe (Japan is lost) and a price drop in the Americas.

Around the Network

New US 360 console prices: $229 Arcade, $299 Pro, $399 Elite.

routsounmanman said:

software support is dictated by the sales volume relative to the competition and that's where 360 shines; IMO Microsoft shouldn't adapt to the casual market during this generation rather endorse the hardcore customers even more. The console just needs tons of advertising in Europe (Japan is lost) and a price drop in the Americas.

Software sales are relatively high compared to the hardware sold specifically due to selling to the most ardent enthustiastic videogame players.  That market runs out far quicker than the general market (much less the 'casual' market), and eventually appears small compared to everything else.

There's nothing wrong with tapping the enthusiast market (i.e., hardcore), but that alone is a recipe for exiting the market.

Motion controls have been out for 10 years, not 2 years, dont even think nintendo created motion controls.

mM
leo-j said:
Motion controls have been out for 10 years, not 2 years, dont even think nintendo created motion controls.

What's the weather like out there in left field?

{smiley}

Rock_on_2008 said:
1. A Blu-Ray 360 is not needed and I believe that would be a bad move. $600 Blu-Ray 360 SKU model- people? Would be an epic fail. Blu-Ray drive implement into next XBox in a few years time when it launches.
2. Introduce a new controller that incorporates tilt/motion control similar to PS3 Six axis. 360 Six- Axis would be a good idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106227

$130 on newegg. They could get the same for less than 90 under wholesale. So $300+100 leaves $50 profit.

But interesting point, is if they don't implement it then they have discovered that blu ray is NOT important for most consumers. So people here may as well drop the line.

2. Sixaxis does not capitolize on their PC market strengths. A mouse is a mouse, doesn't matter if its an airmouse.

Tease.