By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP Yours talks Killzone 2 (really good stuff)...

Get it here.

The Killzone 2 talk starts around the 1:56 mark.  It's definitely worth a listen.  Fans of the game will be comforted, haters will hopefully become a bit more optimistic.  Be wary  of the MGS4 section, though.  It's full of spoilers, from what I hear.

Basic summary of the dicussion:

- Single player suffers from the same infinite respawns as CoD 3/4. One guy says he didn't notice, another says he ripped on CoD3 for it in his review and noticed it in Killzone 2 as well.

- Cover system feels very arcadey, reminds them of Uncharted.  They say it feels great, and works very well.

- Big difference between firing from the iron sights and firing from the hip.  You're accuracy is MUCH lower when shooting from the hip, so it really makes you want to find cover to take down enemies.  Normal fire is primarily used for supressive fire.  They say it puts you in a "real soldier's mentality."

- Indoor battles feel a lot more intense and exciting than outdoor battles.

- Shane is the first journalist to have played with the vehicles so far.  He said the tank felt slow and clunky, and the enemies drove better than him so he died a lot, lol.

- The Killzone universe is apparently rather robust, and Killzone 2 has an impressive and detailed backstory (some of which I think has been put on the new Killzone.com).

- They say the first game was overly ambitious.  Apparently GG did an interview with OPM years back in which they detailed what they wanted to do with Killzone, and the entire thing seemed practically impossible to do on the ps2.  Then the media thrust the "Halo Killer" stigma upon them, which didn't help with the pressure any.  When the game finally hit, it certainly had impressive graphics (among other things), but it was just too much for the system to handle, and it showed through the numerous graphical glitches and horrendous framerate.  One guy said he thought the original Killzone should've been a ps3 launch title.

- They say the original Killzone was ahead of its time, and that they gave it a 7 in their review primarily because of the numerous graphical glitches.  They say those problems have (obviously) been solved in the sequel.

- Graphics are stunning, and the small touches here and there really put the game ahead of everything else.  They mention debris floating in the wind and glinting in the sun after a building collapses, and how the motion blur varies depending on how fast you're turning, among other things.

- Motion capture is being done by the same guys that worked on Heavenly Sword, and it really helps bring the story to life.

- They say your interactions with the world around you are impressive, and that it feels somewhat like the end scene of Children of Men (never seen it >_>).

- They say Sony was smart to push it back to 2009, because they have way too many games they're looking forward to at the end of the year and that Resistance and Killzone are too similar, so it wouldn't really have much chance to shine.

- Sound quality outdoes even MGS4 (and we all know Kojima's fetish for uncompressed audio ;) ).

Sounds great to me!

Around the Network

Cool. Lets hope it's good :)

Thanks for the summary, sounds like its coming along great.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

EDIT: nevermind

EDIT: after listening  this game sounds really cool i can't wait for this game

Excellent.I was hoping to get my hands on it this year,but I guess the wait will pay off.

Around the Network

Sounds awesome, can't wait.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

"ahead of it's time" do they even know what the phrase means?

More like killzone 1 was "rushed to the market" before it was finished....

It seems like KZ2 is coming along nicely, but I don't think it has shown anything to set itself apart from other FPS's aside from graphics (which is to be expected for a newly released game anyway), hopefully that'll change.

Has anyone seen Children of Men? What happens during the end scene?

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

Heh, I found 1UP's review for the original Killzone:

Sorry to repeat what the other guys are saying, but Killzone is either A) two years ahead of its time, or B) on the wrong hardware. The PS2, bless its little heart, just cannot do consistent justice to the game's ambitious design. For certain other genres, choppy visuals, dense fog, and distracting graphical glitches are excusable, just as long as they don't affect gameplay. But for first-person shooters, where a fast response and accurate aim is of paramount concern, you need a game that runs smoothly at least 90 percent of the time. All it takes is one attempt to use the horrendous sniper rifle to see that Killzone can't deliver.

Technical difficulties aside, Killzone's overall design is actually very solid: The visual motif is incredibly well conceived (think WWII if it happened 50 years from now), the story and characters are interesting, and even though it's totally linear, the single-player campaign puts you in some very cool scenarios and firefights. The only big problem is that the helghast troops are profoundly stupid, and it seems that to compensate they have unfairly accurate aim and can withstand ungodly amounts of direct fire. They can take over 200 rounds, including multiple headshots, before going down.

Killzone is good; it's still playable, and quite fun online...but thanks to unfortunate timing, it's not what it should have been. The inevit-able Killzone 2 on PS3 ought to be something special.

Somewhat prophetic, really.

@calamity: Their words, not mine. ;)

If i remember correctly, the ending of children of men was when the main character was running through the city as its getting destroyed by two rival armies. It was cool because it was an uncut camera shot for like ten minutes, it must have taken quite a few takes to get it all right.

And I can't wait for KZ2, it seems to b shaping up very nicely :D

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League