By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP Yours talks Killzone 2 (really good stuff)...

bobobologna said:
"- Single player suffers from the same infinite respawns as CoD 3/4. One guy says he didn't notice, another says he ripped on CoD3 for it in his review and noticed it in Killzone 2 as well."

Bleh. I hated COD4's singleplayer for it's respawning enemies. I can only hope that Killzone 2 either hides the respawning enemies very well, or does away with it completely.

From what we have seen the respawning enemies are far away on a bridge where there is a specific mission that needs you to blow the bridge with a missile launcher.  I have not seen any other parts where there are respawning troops.  CoD4 had constant respawning troops all over the place that would run to the exact same spot no matter what and die the same way.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Get it here.

The Killzone 2 talk starts around the 1:56 mark. It's definitely worth a listen. Fans of the game will be comforted, haters will hopefully become a bit more optimistic. Be wary of the MGS4 section, though. It's full of spoilers, from what I hear.

Basic summary of the dicussion:

- Single player suffers from the same infinite respawns as CoD 3/4. One guy says he didn't notice, another says he ripped on CoD3 for it in his review and noticed it in Killzone 2 as well.

- Cover system feels very arcadey, reminds them of Uncharted. They say it feels great, and works very well.

- Big difference between firing from the iron sights and firing from the hip. You're accuracy is MUCH lower when shooting from the hip, so it really makes you want to find cover to take down enemies. Normal fire is primarily used for supressive fire. They say it puts you in a "real soldier's mentality."

- Indoor battles feel a lot more intense and exciting than outdoor battles.

- Shane is the first journalist to have played with the vehicles so far. He said the tank felt slow and clunky, and the enemies drove better than him so he died a lot, lol.

- The Killzone universe is apparently rather robust, and Killzone 2 has an impressive and detailed backstory (some of which I think has been put on the new Killzone.com).

- They say the first game was overly ambitious. Apparently GG did an interview with OPM years back in which they detailed what they wanted to do with Killzone, and the entire thing seemed practically impossible to do on the ps2. Then the media thrust the "Halo Killer" stigma upon them, which didn't help with the pressure any. When the game finally hit, it certainly had impressive graphics (among other things), but it was just too much for the system to handle, and it showed through the numerous graphical glitches and horrendous framerate. One guy said he thought the original Killzone should've been a ps3 launch title.

- They say the original Killzone was ahead of its time, and that they gave it a 7 in their review primarily because of the numerous graphical glitches. They say those problems have (obviously) been solved in the sequel.

- Graphics are stunning, and the small touches here and there really put the game ahead of everything else. They mention debris floating in the wind and glinting in the sun after a building collapses, and how the motion blur varies depending on how fast you're turning, among other things.

- Motion capture is being done by the same guys that worked on Heavenly Sword, and it really helps bring the story to life.

- They say your interactions with the world around you are impressive, and that it feels somewhat like the end scene of Children of Men (never seen it >_>).

- They say Sony was smart to push it back to 2009, because they have way too many games they're looking forward to at the end of the year and that Resistance and Killzone are too similar, so it wouldn't really have much chance to shine.

- Sound quality outdoes even MGS4 (and we all know Kojima's fetish for uncompressed audio ;) ).

Sounds great to me!

Bit in bold.
This worries me about this goup of people. The reason the original Killzone was poor was due to the gameplay side. Set pieces were boring and unimaginative and the level design wasnt great either. On top of that you never felt like it was war.

I'm praying for coop story mode. This is what made gears of war great. Coop with trophies endless replays.

Ynwa.