By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - britian makes the best bands!!!!

bardicverse said:
okr said:
@bradicverse:
What should I refute? Did we have a discussion before you posted your long expertise?

Black music to me is Soul, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Funk, Hip-Hop (NA) Afro-Brazilian, Reggae (SA, Jamaica) and many more.

I know that "whites, blacks, creoles all joined", but I will aways and ever label all these musical art forms overall as black music because all of them wouldn't have been developed without black people. That's all.

Sly Stone loved white drummers, but Sylvester wrote the songs and gave them his soul.

No, we hadn't. but it was pre-emptive to avoid a 20 post convo between us ;)

As by how you label music then, Rock would also be regarded highly as dependent on the black musical community too. Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checkers to name a few. Without these, even bands like the Beatles might not have come about. Hell, Living Colour, need I say more? You can even take the bread and butter of modern european music - club/techno, and give thanks to the legendary black american musician Herbie Hancock for pushing electronic music in the early 80s in new directions. For reference, I point you to Rock It by Herbie Hancock. Music is one of those things that you can't seperate race. When you have bands like Korn, which are mostly black, and then rappers like Eminem, the racial lines get blurred. Of course, that is a good thing, and we could only hope there would be more racial blurring in the world.

Yes, I know that Rock'n'Roll wouldn't be the same without the influence of black musicians. You don't have to preach to the converted, preach to people like the guys in this thread who claim that some British bands founded some years ago are the best eva. (I gave up convincing people of my music taste or opinion on music in general long ago. Unfortunately others still want to convince me of THEIR taste. "You have to buy the new Feist album". No, I don't. I buy Aimee Mann's new album instead). 

BTW: Don't forget Little Richard. The crazy guy won't like the fact that you named Jimi, Chuck and Chubby instead.

And Chuck Berry is Keith Richard's hero: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/chuckberry/articles/story/5928768/keith_richards

In my opinion black music in general was the most influential art form of 20th century (not a good sentence, I know, but the best way I can express it).

Thanks for reminding me of Living Colour. I'm listening to their (imo) best album "Time's Up" right now.

Around the Network
Thatmax said:
okr said:
Aj_habfan said:
No way! Canada does! We have, umm... Celine Dion? Okay I'll shut up now.

If we look at TODAY, I'd say yes, Canada is the best country for great new bands at the moment. 

Best band worlwide at the moment imo: Arcade Fire.

Brilliant band, so new and fresh saw them at Reading festival last year. but not the best band at the moment, they haven released anythin too recently... have they?

I <3 <3 <3 ARCADE FIRE!!! I saw them at reading too!!! Absolutely amazing. They released Neon Bible in march of 2007. I still listen to it at least once a week. I listen to Funeral basically everyday. 

Funeral = Best album ever. 

Arcade Fire = Best band ever.

tombi123 said:
Thatmax said:
okr said:
Aj_habfan said:
No way! Canada does! We have, umm... Celine Dion? Okay I'll shut up now.

If we look at TODAY, I'd say yes, Canada is the best country for great new bands at the moment. 

Best band worlwide at the moment imo: Arcade Fire.

Brilliant band, so new and fresh saw them at Reading festival last year. but not the best band at the moment, they haven released anythin too recently... have they?

I <3 <3 <3 ARCADE FIRE!!! I saw them at reading too!!! Absolutely amazing. They released Neon Bible in march of 2007. I still listen to it at least once a week. I listen to Funeral basically everyday. 

Funeral = Best album ever. 

Arcade Fire = Best band ever.

I think what you meant to say was:

London Calling = Best album ever.

The Clash = Best band ever.

I think it must be pretty sad to be able to definitively state what the best band is or what the best album is. I know for me my collection looks different every time I look at it. Sometimes I want to go back and listen to all my Def Leppard cds over again; but other times they make me want to puke and I'm more likely to grab a little Mercury Rev. Sometimes I just want to hear George Winston play Linus and Lucy.

My point is that music is so personal and subjective and really depends where you are in life and where you are that day, that moment.

So to be able to definitively say what your favorite band or album is would be to say that you have become stagnant and refuse to grow...sad.

okr said:

Yes, I know that Rock'n'Roll wouldn't be the same without the influence of black musicians. You don't have to preach to the converted, preach to people like the guys in this thread who claim that some British bands founded some years ago are the best eva. (I gave up convincing people of my music taste or opinion on music in general long ago. Unfortunately others still want to convince me of THEIR taste. "You have to buy the new Feist album". No, I don't. I buy Aimee Mann's new album instead).

BTW: Don't forget Little Richard. The crazy guy won't like the fact that you named Jimi, Chuck and Chubby instead.

And Chuck Berry is Keith Richard's hero: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/chuckberry/articles/story/5928768/keith_richards

In my opinion black music in general was the most influential art form of 20th century (not a good sentence, I know, but the best way I can express it).

Thanks for reminding me of Living Colour. I'm listening to their (imo) best album "Time's Up" right now.

Hell yea, Vernon Reid is the man! And apologies to Little Richard =)

Yeah, like I said, I appreciate that music is the one form since the late 1800s where racial boundaries were ignored.

Besides, now we have high quality music like 50 Cent! (Ok, I couldn't say it with a straight face either)

I don't know if you're into anything really hard, but if you are check out Soulfly. Its Brazilian influenced tribal metal.

Around the Network

As well as Oasis, The Servant were a quality UK band. Check out 'cells'

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

reask said:
okr said:

UK & Ireland. No contest.

Bands:
The Beatles
Roling Stones
The Kinks
The Clash
The Smiths
The LA's
The Police
Echo & the Bunnymen
Belle and Sebastian
Radiohead
The Libertines
Franz Ferdinand
Pulp
Blur
Placebo
Travis
The Cure
Arctic Monkeys
The Who
Joy Division
New Order
Massive Attack
Manic Street Preachers
The The
Talk Talk
Underworld
Heaven 17
Basement Jaxx
XTC

Duos:
Goldfrapp
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man
Pet Shop Boys

Solo Artists:
Van Morrison
David Bowie
Brian Eno
Kate Bush
Peter Gabriel
Elton John
The Divine Comedy
Aphex Twin

All off the top of my head (better said: off my CD rack, that's standing right behind me). I could name some dozens more but I don't want to bore you to death.

If we treat 20th century's music as an overall world competition, there's only one thing on this planet that was better than music from UK & Ireland (imo): Black American Music (until late 70s/early 80s).

how about the allman bros santana lynyrd skynyrd all good usa bands imo.

A truly great Musical Heritage, wouldn't mind knowing how good music is in other countries though, I know Finland loves Rock and Metal.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

This thread is great. I personally LOVE british music, from Beatles to Clash to Blur to Oasis to Radiohead to Muse. Seriously, that's why I would love to live on the UK.

On a related note, I'm gonna see Muse on 16 july YAY! I can't wait. I'm sure it's gonna be the best gig I've ever been at.

super_etecoon said:
I think it must be pretty sad to be able to definitively state what the best band is or what the best album is. I know for me my collection looks different every time I look at it. Sometimes I want to go back and listen to all my Def Leppard cds over again; but other times they make me want to puke and I'm more likely to grab a little Mercury Rev. Sometimes I just want to hear George Winston play Linus and Lucy.

My point is that music is so personal and subjective and really depends where you are in life and where you are that day, that moment.

So to be able to definitively say what your favorite band or album is would be to say that you have become stagnant and refuse to grow...sad.

This is so true.  I can't tell you how many times I'm dying to listen to some band one day, and then think I'm going to die if I hear another verse from them the next.  I can easily say what my favorite song at this current moment is, but asking me to figure out which song or album or band is my favorite ever is really impossible.

Oh, and as for the NA vs. UK thing, I think this song says it all: