By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Well A New Console Ever Show Up?

probably one of the larger software developers could introduce a new game console.

Around the Network

I see Apple creating something to compete with DS or PSP... i can't see anybody making a new console these days, too much money and too much competition.

Way back in the day in the 70's and 80's companies used to just take "off the shelf"/stock parts like processors, soundchips and make a custom system out of them, thats why there were so many systems out there.

Then companies like Nintendo and Sega started getting more advanced and developed their own custom hardware, and once Sony entered the market with their massive muscle (and later Microsoft) there just wasn't any room for a company to release yet another game system using nothing but generic parts and playing generic games.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I could be wrong, but I think Apple would be (far) better off if they partnered with one of the current console manufacturers than if they tried to produce a console on their own ... Essentially, this is the same thing I argued with Nokia ... Had Nokia partnered with Nintendo and created a cellphone that included a Gameboy Advance in it they would have produced a far more popular product than the nGage was.

Check my profile - I predicted that by the end of this year rumours of a 4th major player would be rampant and by 2010 another system will be on the market.

I'm still sticking to that. Nintendo has shown the market can be expanded. Nintendo has also shown they don't have the resources to meet that expanded markets demands (Wii, Wiifit chronic shortages).

This provides an oppurtunity for a well position, savvy company to come in and take over the market expansion leadership from Nintendo. Or at least try to.

Apple is best suited for this but it could come from anywhere really.

However, it may not be in the form of a console as it's traditionally considered. It could be Apple TV Plus (IE: a true multimedia machine that blows MS & Sony's attempts at the same out of the water).

Gamerace said:
Check my profile - I predicted that by the end of this year rumours of a 4th major player would be rampant and by 2010 another system will be on the market.

I'm still sticking to that. Nintendo has shown the market can be expanded. Nintendo has also shown they don't have the resources to meet that expanded markets demands (Wii, Wiifit chronic shortages).

This provides an oppurtunity for a well position, savvy company to come in and take over the market expansion leadership from Nintendo. Or at least try to.

Apple is best suited for this but it could come from anywhere really.

However, it may not be in the form of a console as it's traditionally considered. It could be Apple TV Plus (IE: a true multimedia machine that blows MS & Sony's attempts at the same out of the water).

Yes them are some pretty bold perdiction's but it would be nice to see another console in the war of gaming

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Around the Network

I don't know, 4 consoles in the market is a lot.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

People still argue weather the market is big enuff to hold 3 console makers, so I can't see a 4th player taking the risk. Toshiba is out of the question (they lack connections to the gaming industry and the name "Toshiba" sucks).

But I can see Apple indirectly competing with handhelds if they make one of their devices very gaming friendly.

Electronic Arts or Apple.

or it could be some completely random and unexpected company

EA will make a console...

I'm thinking Apple... and it will be HUGE.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina