By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are the Top 10 shows on TV?

MontanaHatchet said:
okr said:

Zen just reminded me of The Sopranos, the best series of the last decade.

The Sopranos are on place 3 1/2 now on my personal list.

What about Seinfeld?

Oh wait, Seinfeld wasn't very popular in Germany, now was it? You guys just don't get it...

Yes, we don't have any sense of humor. But so what, we're in the final next Sunday and even if we lose this time we easily regain the title "most hated football nation" from Italy. (The title "most laughed at football nation" stays in England forever and one day).

We leave the humor to the Austrians (the few unique Billy Wilders and the many similar Rolands).

Seinfeld was a good show and it was quite popular in Germany (for a sitcom), but it would never make it to my personal Top 10 1/2 list. There would be so many more runner-ups such as Columbo and Petroccelli (I love many US shows fom the 70s) and some German and even - yes - Austrian shows you've never heard of. When I think about: What did Switzerland contribute to culture and entertainment in the German/French/Italian speaking area? Too busy counting the money, I guess.

By the way: The most popular US sitcom in Germany was by far - no, not Friends - The Bill Cosby Show about 15-20 years ago.

Around the Network
okr said:
MontanaHatchet said:
okr said:

Zen just reminded me of The Sopranos, the best series of the last decade.

The Sopranos are on place 3 1/2 now on my personal list.

What about Seinfeld?

Oh wait, Seinfeld wasn't very popular in Germany, now was it? You guys just don't get it...

Yes, we don't have any sense of humor. But so what, we're in the final next Sunday and even if we lose this time we easily regain the title "most hated football nation" from Italy. (The title "most laughed at football nation" stays in England forever and one day).

We leave the humor to the Austrians (the few unique Billy Wilders and the many similar Rolands).

Seinfeld was a good show and it was quite popular in Germany (for a sitcom), but it would never make it to my personal Top 10 1/2 list. There would be so many more runner-ups such as Columbo and Petroccelli (I love many US shows fom the 70s) and some German and even - yes - Austrian shows you've never heard of. When I think about: What did Switzerland contribute to culture and entertainment in the German/French/Italian speaking area? Too busy counting the money, I guess.

By the way: The most popular US sitcom in Germany was by far - no, not Friends - The Bill Cosby Show about 15-20 years ago.

I heard that Seinfeld was unpopular in Germany because of its New York type humor.

Either way, the amount of Futurama love in this thread is making me smile.

I think many Seinfeld jokes got lost in translation. I watched it all the time and many friends did as well. That's why I came to the conclusion that is was quite popular over here. I don't have any figures though.

Esmoreit said:
okr said:
Wickie und die starken Männer (engl. title: Vickie the Little Viking)

This is sheer awesomeness. I refrained from putting Native shows on my list though, but did Germany also had runs of Alfred Jodokus Kwak?

Why refrain from putting native shows on your list? Show some pride!

Wickie was my favorite childhood show and I still love it. I think more than 30 years later it's still the most popular cartoon show in Germany. It's rerun every year (and now they're even making a live action movie, oh well...)

And yes, Herman van Veen's Alfred J. Kwak was on German television (it was a Dutch/German/Japanese co-production). This cute cartoon show was very popular over here. I loved the voice of the little duck (the voiceover was done by the same woman in the German and Dutch versions, as far as I know).

Oh don't worry, I imagine the translation was more or less accurate for Seinfeld.

It's a show about nothing staring neurotic people who never learn their lessons. I can't explain the popularity in any fashion. But I cannot deny it's popular and people really enjoy it.

Though according to some Jewish people, the show is deep down about Jerry being Jewish. Oy gevault.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

Fry Hard 2:  The chicken

"Fry some more!"

That's amazing, Shepard!  If I had to choose an episode, my pick would be the first Fry Hard.  I've got a soft spot for those early episodes from seasons 1 and 2 (plus, I'm a sucker for fish and chips).

Honorable mentions go to A Bowl of Onion, Crust Never Sleeps, and Long Arm of the Slaw.

But yeah, that's a nice choice.  I did try the chicken recipe from that episode, and it came out quite well.  (Would have been perfect if I'd paid more attention to the heat, but we can't blame AB for that).

Here is my list. A few of the shows are UK only (and to an extent, London only) shows. So I've linked them all to their wikipedia pages for you to gain more informtation on them.

1. Scrubs
  2. Family Guy
  3. Shameless
  4. Friends
  5. West 10 LDN
  6. Match of the Day
  7. Everybody Hates Chris
  8. The Simpsons
  9. Dragonball Z
  10. The Lick

Ehh, you guys just don't understand Seinfeld. I don't like it either, but there is always at least one part of the episode that makes it worth watching even if you didn't laugh in the slightest. It's got charm, but there are far better shows on TV in my opinion.

^ Exactly my thoughts about Seinfeld. I rarely laughed but I somewhat liked these freaks.

No one except me put Northern Exposure on their list? Wasn't it popular in NA?

I think this site's demographic is a little too young for Northern Exposure at the time of its original airing and to my knowledge it has never been big in syndication. Therefore, most people here would not have been exposed to it. It isn't my cup of tea, the only character I liked was the borderline retarded native. Fleisher was uninteresting, at least to the child I was. No offence to you who like it, Okr EDIT: though your list reminded me of M*A*S*H*, which I love through the magic of syndication.