By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU sales UP!!PS3 OUCH!

Without wanting to try to back up what I'm about to say and all -- just purely my opinion, based on what I've seen since starting to come to VGChartz -- I dunno, but I think that PS3 is selling pretty well.

I think if I were a "Sony fanboy," I wouldn't be upset at all with these numbers.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
NJ5 said:
PS3 dominating 360 by 20k consoles a week after one of its biggest exclusives...

@Munkeh111: Actually I always heard MGS was pretty big in Europe, or am I mistaken?

Acccording to VGC, MGS is as popular in the 'States as it is in the EU.

300% increase in NA YOY, 200% increase in EU YOY

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

Darth - your statement about "the PS3 is the only console to have such increased sales after a price cut" is a rather wrong statement. The 360 has seen a 117% YOY increase due to a similar price drop. And what figures are you using to compare "YOY" for the PS3 in Europe? The PS3 was released well into 2008, and it seems like your basing this "200% YOY" off of this fact. Care to explain?

Percentages are also a little misleading, since it's not hard to have big percentage increases when your start point is very low. If you look at actual unit increases, it's not quite so dramatic. The Wii had much bigger gains in NA and Europe, but percentage wise it doesn't look so big because their sales were good to start with.

darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

PS3 is the only console in history to have such increased sales even months after a price cut.

That sounds like a dangerously unsubstantiated claim.  Also you do know it's easier to raise recentages when your sales numbers are lower.

HappySqurriel said:
PooperScooper said:
HappySqurriel said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Imthelegend said:
Ouch. Expected and all but what can Sony do to improve the lack of PS3 sales. Don't think even a price cut would do a huge amount over the long term IMO.

A $200 price reduction (potentially the biggest price reduction ever), the Blu-Ray format winning (and the PS3 being the least expensive and only fully compatible Blu-Ray player), and the release of two of the biggest games of the generation should be credited for that ... it wasn't just a price reduction.

I still laugh when people try to pull this one off.

You can argue semantics all you want but the main SKU of the PS3 went from being a $600 60GB PS3 with full backwards compatibility to being a $400 40GB PS3 with no backwards compatibility ... A $200 price difference between the products Sony was pushing.

80 gig went from 600 to 500

20 gig went from 500 to nothing

40 gig went from nothing to 400

60 gig went from 600 to 500 to nothing.

I see no 200 dollar cut there.

40gig =/= 80gig sku

shanbcn said:
PS3 adjusted down but what about Wii? Wii is still over tracked by 500k in Germany and France.

link?

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
HappySqurriel said:

You can argue semantics all you want but the main SKU of the PS3 went from being a $600 60GB PS3 with full backwards compatibility to being a $400 40GB PS3 with no backwards compatibility ... A $200 price difference between the products Sony was pushing.

80 gig went from 600 to 500

20 gig went from 500 to nothing

40 gig went from nothing to 400

60 gig went from 600 to 500 to nothing.

I see no 200 dollar cut there.

Stop looking at (mostly) meaningless feature differences ... The 60GB and 40GB are the only SKUs that were ever released in heavy supply, the rest can almost be classified as special limited editions.

@HappySqurriel / PooperScooper: You're discussing American price cuts in a thread about Europe... Semantics aren't even an issue here as I wrote above.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FishyJoe said:

PSP sales only up 4k for  FFVII:CC (looked at wrong table before). So much for any boost.

no mattter how bad other consoles do....your aim is always the PSP....lol {saying this in a funny way}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

mrstickball said:
NJ5 said:
PS3 dominating 360 by 20k consoles a week after one of its biggest exclusives...

@Munkeh111: Actually I always heard MGS was pretty big in Europe, or am I mistaken?

Acccording to VGC, MGS is as popular in the 'States as it is in the EU.

Darth - your statement about "the PS3 is the only console to have such increased sales after a price cut" is a rather wrong statement. The 360 has seen a 117% YOY increase due to a similar price drop. And what figures are you using to compare "YOY" for the PS3 in Europe? The PS3 was released well into 2008, and it seems like your basing this "200% YOY" off of this fact. Care to explain?

Well it is late June now....PS3 released in late March....so 3 months is enough to base things of, check sales yourself n see the increase.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

MANUELF said:
shanbcn said:
PS3 adjusted down but what about Wii? Wii is still over tracked by 500k in Germany and France.

link?

Why PS3 France numbers were adjusted down? It was because of recent LTD numbers which put Wii at 1,8 million. It means overtracked by 300k and in Germany Wii recently "shipped" 1 million acording to Nintendo and VG already have it over 1 million.