By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon sales staying strong

Pokemon is a solid game, albeit very linear in story. I'm 32 and have picked it up on my DS. It's more classic, turn based 80s era NES Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy is anymore, that's for sure, and there's actually such a ridiculous amount of depth to the combat mechanic and type systems, that I doubt any "kids" could really ever play it and be competitive with adults.

The kiddie image of Pokemon cracks me up. I know more adults who play it than kids, and I've put at least 10x the hours on my copy than my seven year old son has put into his.

Around the Network
stof said:

Japans sales will definately overtake Ruby/Saphire soon, and I'm sure NA and Euro numbers will follow suit, but I honestly can't see it touching the original versions sales... Or will it? No, probly not. How did those games manage to sell so many millions of millions?

Simple. The idea was fresh 10 years ago. Everyone would try out the game and enjoy it. However, less and less were willing to comit the time to the game (400 hours at least per game, for me) as the new versions came out. And, the addition of 100+ pokemon per game was simply too much for some people. I still enjoy the game, and I know I will continue to enjoy it for years to come; when we will have 1k+ different Pokemon.

I am certain that, in its lifetime, Diamond/Pearl will do, at least, Ruby/Saphire levels. I dont think we will have another 30million Pokemon game, ever.

Dryden said:
Pokemon is a solid game, albeit very linear in story. I'm 32 and have picked it up on my DS. It's more classic, turn based 80s era NES Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy is anymore, that's for sure, and there's actually such a ridiculous amount of depth to the combat mechanic and type systems, that I doubt any "kids" could really ever play it and be competitive with adults.

The kiddie image of Pokemon cracks me up. I know more adults who play it than kids, and I've put at least 10x the hours on my copy than my seven year old son has put into his.

That is so awesome! If I was 7, I think it'd be so rad to have my Dad play Pokemon.

I'll be the same to my future kid(s)

DonWii said:
stof said:

Japans sales will definately overtake Ruby/Saphire soon, and I'm sure NA and Euro numbers will follow suit, but I honestly can't see it touching the original versions sales... Or will it? No, probly not. How did those games manage to sell so many millions of millions?

Simple. The idea was fresh 10 years ago. Everyone would try out the game and enjoy it. However, less and less were willing to comit the time to the game (400 hours at least per game, for me) as the new versions came out. And, the addition of 100+ pokemon per game was simply too much for some people. I still enjoy the game, and I know I will continue to enjoy it for years to come; when we will have 1k+ different Pokemon.

I am certain that, in its lifetime, Diamond/Pearl will do, at least, Ruby/Saphire levels. I dont think we will have another 30million Pokemon game, ever.

Only one way it can:  Pokemon MMORPG (with no monthly fee) gogo! 

naznatips said:

Only one way it can: Pokemon MMORPG (with no monthly fee) gogo!

Which is not only an awesome game idea, but also the only way I would find an MMORPG interesting. 

Pokemon MMORPG - Gotta Catch em All!

Everybody else's MMORPG - Gotta Level... and level more? 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

400 hours of game time is a lot? That's what, 16 days /played? You people are sissies I tells ya -- sissies and women!

Get back to me when your playtime eclipses 300 days played on a single game, and we'll talk.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Pokemon is a very solid title. Sales to # of games probably well exceeds that of Mario.

Not knly that its one of the if not the best RPG series ever. It was a game sreies first,

And yea people see Pokemon games as notning but a kids game but really its more for teens and up. The true definition of a kiddy game ir easy games. Kids dont have the patience to play long or hard games. They normally play easy, short linear games. Pokemon just doesnt fit that at all.

But yes sales will in no way hit 30 million. This is 2 games not 3. But I see a solid 17 million. Thats pretty good anyways.

As for a Pokemon MMO dont worry it'll come. Probably on Wii too cause DS cant handle an MMO. Pokemon World on the Wii would fulfill a lot of dreams.

"Oh yeah - I'm 32. My friend (who got his copy 2 weeks before me) is 37. "

rofl!..keep doin yo thang playa!

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

http://www.cubetoons.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=1

Pokemon used to be fun, but now the games are just boring. There's nothing new. There's a lot of depth to the games, though. I used to be really in to pokemon and played a PC version called NetBattle where you faced people over the internet. There was no training or catching involved though, just battling. It was very strategic, probably one of the most strategic games I have ever played. Anyone who enjoys Pokemon's depth but doesn't like having to spend hours training up guys should check it out.