By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Since some people on this forum were had been so adamant that Qore was like a magazine and not just advertisement.  I decided to spend the $3 for the first episode and try it. 

I want my $3 back.

Qore turned out to be everything that I expected.

Let's start at the top.

First, there is an install time for Qore (maybe 2 minutes).  For what is essentially a pack of videos and pictures with a menu screen, I was annoyed by this.

Once loaded up, the there is a skippable intro with some girl explaining Qore as the next best thing in PS3 content.

Once at the menu screen I started at the top with SOCOM.  Upon clicking it, I was greeted with a not immediately skipable non-HD advertisement for MGS4.  Wait a minute, I thought I had just paid money for this.  Why am I being forced to watch an ad?  After the ad, I had a choice of SOCOM developer team interviews to watch.  Now, while interesting, it was basically an advertisement for the game.  It is great to see all this stuff, but this is marketing material.

After watching the SOCOM interviews and flipping through the the few concept art images, I went on to Soul Caliber 4.  Big surprise, the second I clicked to watch it I was greeted with another ad, this time for The Grid, which was unskipable and also not in HD.  The Soul Caliber 4 interview was with the marketing director who proceeded to go through the features of the game.  At this point I decided to do a comparison with Gametrailers.  After a quick Google search I found an interview at GT done with the director of the game also talking about the game's features.  I generally prefer interviews with actual production team members over marketing staff

Thankfully since Afro Samurai was in the same menu as Soul Caliber4, I didn't have to watch another ad.  The interview this time was with David Robinson, the producer of the game.  Again, all interesting stuff, but I found a similar interview over at GT with the same person.

Next up was Secret Agent Clank for the PSP.  Of course there was the now familiar unskippable ad, this time for Overlord: Raising Hell.  True to format, there were interviews with members of the teams showing off features in the game.  This was particularly humorous watching a preview for a PSP game in HD, but it was neat.  Again though, all marketing material.

Last was Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  This time the unskippable ad was Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.  The interview this time was with the project lead who talks about the games features.  There was a little extra there with a preview to the comic and some retarded video of a girl doing a joke plea to be Vader's apprentice (I hope this isn't Qore's idea of original content).

Qore is a bundle of HD marketing material for upcomming games.  The bonus for this month was an eventual invite to SOCOM's beta, when it comes out, and the SOCOM theme.  It isn't a magazine as it provides practically nothing in the way of original content.    In addition to paying for Qore, it is still ad supported and most ads are unskippable.  So, you must watch advertisements before you watch the marketing material.  Qore would be a great service if it was free, but for an ad supported service with a fee it is disappointing.  What will be more dissappointing is if at some point down the line some demos are held back and available first only through Qore.  So, what was once free and first available to everyone will then be held back for the pay service.

*Edit - I give Qore a 9.3 *

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

wait... aren't magazines just marketing ploys too...

so it is exactly like a magazine?

PooperScooper said:

exactly, OMFG there are advertisments in my paper based magazines, OMFG there are advertisments in my digital magazine ZOMG there is no difference.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I really have no interest in qore whatsoever. Why would I want to pay for that? Gaming magazines and websites aren't just marketing teams advertising and shoving commercials in between. It may not be the greatest of journalism, but it is journalism and it's free. I would much rather hear what various gamers from the web think about a game than what a marketing team thinks about the game, and I don't want to have to sit through commercials while I do it.

I don't know why people defend this like it's their daughter, call a spade a spade. It's paying for commercials.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

ssj12 said:
PooperScooper said:

exactly, OMFG there are advertisments in my paper based magazines, OMFG there are advertisments in my digital magazine ZOMG there is no difference.

Ads in magazines are used to bring down the cost of providing the original content.  Magazines have writers who write reviews and previews from an outside perspective as well as providing industry news.  Qore is only the advertisements.  Everything there is a video of the developer listing game features.  There isn't even anyone conducting an interview.  There is no outside comentary about the game.  It is 100% pure marketing material.  You tell me where the original content is in Qore.

I give that post a 9.3.

Around the Network

What where you actually expecting ? A free game with it ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

Actually, from what I had seen on Youtube and what people had said about it, I expected exactly what it turned out to be.  Actually, it was a bit worse.  I didn't expect the unskippable ads.

I give that post a 9.5.

I wasn't expecting much else from it anyway. I'll see if my $3 is worth it to get some sort of exclusive content, but even then that's pushing what I'd pay for.

I give your thread a..... no, I'm not really going to do it.

@Profcrab: You forgot to give Qore a score. From your review, I'd say no more than a 9.2

@Sony fans: Ads in printed magazines are skippable, unless you have some sort of weird eye disease.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hunter_alien said:

You do get a free game with it. Hit one of the shoulder buttons at the menu screen.

NJ9: most of the ads are skippable, but it's worth watching ads to get beta invites (such as Socom). That's worth $3.  You don't get video interviews in magazines, either, and some of the interviews were interesting enough for the cheap price.