By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu hardware results in, PS3 big drop

FishyJoe said:
People act as if Sony is the only one that can offer bundles, new colors, price drops, etc.

Nintendo could do any or all of these things, heck they may even be able to make the Wii even smaller.

Sure Nintendo can.

I just think that they'd be more concerned with keeping up with demand, and trying to find a storage solution fix, rather than making new colors, bundles, etc. right now. 

I just think that those are low on the priority list.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
The PS3s last hope in Japan is a Slim-line model. Look at the wonders it did for the PSP and DS in Japan.

Take note Sony. Slimline something, and the Japanese people will snatch it up.

Any idea if it works for consoles too? Did it boost the PS2 a lot? I'm not asking it rhetorically, I honestly never looked at the data from that perspective.

Any changes in hardware (even new colors) result in a temporary boost due to people buying the new versions and selling or giving away their used consoles, but what we're looking for is the possibility of a sustained boost. Nothing else matters, one-time boosts are irrelevant.

In any case, unless a Slimline PS3 came soon, by that time the Wii would already have cemented its position as THE current-gen console in Japan.

Japanese homes are tiny compared to American homes.  Small size is a big plus for the Wii, and something Sony should work hard to achieve if they're serious about their home market.

I'm not saying that a smaller console might not sell better, but I think there is more to sales than just the physical size. Wii Fit is not all that small, yet that hasn't prevented it from selling like gangbusters.

Haha, and this time his hate is justified. The MGS series turned complete nonsense at number 2.

Stillwell said:
Haha, and this time his hate is justified. The MGS series turned complete nonsense at number 2.

Your just asking to be reported.  We had an intelligent discussion until you came in here with your opinion on how a game is or isn't.

In any case, E3 is just around the bend and we'll see more announcements than.  Hopefully something concrete will be able to come out of there.  I do think, however, Little Big Planet will drive PS3 sales as well in Japan.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
I'm not saying that a smaller console might not sell better, but I think there is more to sales than just the physical size. Wii Fit is not all that small, yet that hasn't prevented it from selling like gangbusters.

"Ohh, so large and bulky, my soccer mom arms can barely lift it!!!"

Fernando said:
Well... I hope you guys have enjoyed your week. =)

Well m on my 2nd MGS4 playthrough....so much more enjoyment is left + I havn't unlocked everything yet

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

PS owners enjoy great games.Wii owners enjoy only sales charts.So sad.

FishyJoe said:
talkingparrot said:

Lets also not forget that the Wii in Japan is 200 hundred dollars US.  That makes it an extremely easy purchase.

It's $200 but they still need to buy a game since Wii Sports isn't included. The PS3 is significantly cheaper in Japan as well.

According to some retail sites, the MSRP for 40 gig without a game is 39980 yen or $369.  The Wii is sits at 25000 yen or $231.  There is still a sigfigant price difference that PS3 still has to overcome, but good software should bring it back on even ground.  Problem is, there isn't enough compared to the Wii and its every growing library of games.  Meanwhile, the Japanese market is lucky to see two PS3 retail games a month so far.  Sony thinks that it can negate this by releasing a slew of PS1 games on PSN but it can't compete on the nostalga factor like Nintendo can with over 3 generations of games it can release. 

Sony needs to start pumping out the games in Japan and do a better job at showing the power of PS3.  Another price cut at this point wouldn't hurt either.  Maybe stay within a 10000 yen of Nintendo's price point.

I'm just saying...

talkingparrot said:
Stillwell said:

Your just asking to be reported.  We had an intelligent discussion until you came in here with your opinion on how a game is or isn't.

And my comments stopped you, or?

Oh, and please don't report me!