By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu hardware results in, PS3 big drop

NJ5 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
Why is Final Fantasy XIII the "last hope"? I'm pretty sure any game released on the system that has any sort of following in Japan increases it's overall chance of being purchased no >_>? Anyways, I'm sure everyone knew this was going to happen :P No console sells the same rate after a huge title drops. You'll always get a huge sales surge followed by a drop-off.

Because (at least as far as I'm concerned) it's pretty much proven that only a game of that caliber could be a real game changer. Japanese customers have chosen the Wii, and Japanese developers are flocking to the Wii too. If the PS3 is to sell decently in Japan, only FFXIII can cause that.

One game on its own is not enough. There needs to be a good constant flow of games coming to the system. Continued support from developers is critical for success. PS2 was highly successful because it had a constant flow of games and continued support from developers. PS2 appealed to both core and casual gamers.

Around the Network

Who honestly didn't see this coming?

-Launch of their biggest (most-hyped) exclusive game of the generation.
-Fantastic, edging-out-the-Wii first-week hardware sales
-higher-than-average second week

Sound familiar? It should--I was also describing the Halo 3 launch for Microsoft.

One game doesn't make a difference. Lots of games do.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Lets also not forget that the Wii in Japan is 200 hundred dollars US.  That makes it an extremely easy purchase.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

talkingparrot said:

Lets also not forget that the Wii in Japan is 200 hundred dollars US.  That makes it an extremely easy purchase.

It's $200 but they still need to buy a game since Wii Sports isn't included. The PS3 is significantly cheaper in Japan as well.

Rock_on_2008 said:
NJ5 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
Why is Final Fantasy XIII the "last hope"? I'm pretty sure any game released on the system that has any sort of following in Japan increases it's overall chance of being purchased no >_>? Anyways, I'm sure everyone knew this was going to happen :P No console sells the same rate after a huge title drops. You'll always get a huge sales surge followed by a drop-off.

Because (at least as far as I'm concerned) it's pretty much proven that only a game of that caliber could be a real game changer. Japanese customers have chosen the Wii, and Japanese developers are flocking to the Wii too. If the PS3 is to sell decently in Japan, only FFXIII can cause that.

One game on its own is not enough. There needs to be a good constant flow of games coming to the system. Continued support from developers is critical for success. PS2 was highly successful because it had a constant flow of games and continued support from developers. PS2 appealed to both core and casual gamers.

The PS3 won't be seeing any constant flow of support from Japanese developers unless Sony writes more checks. Just look at how PS3 games have sold in Japan, other than MGS4.

The PS3 needs a miracle in Japan... Either FFXIII will deliver that miracle, or nothing will.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

EDIT

talkingparrot said:

That is a extremely misguiding comment. Nobody forced Sony to make their console expensive. And nobody forced Nintendo to make a cheap console. If the PS3 was 200 dollars US it would not have had high end graphics like it does now. What you are implying is that if the PS3 was all that it is now (with bluray and cell and ...) and still was 200 dollars it would also sell. And that is a hypothetical case.

Also there are so many things that are 200 hundred dollars that is not bought like the Wii is bought.

The statement is wrong in so many ways when it comes to comparing consoles.

luistomas8782 said:
it's coming down from the top. again, one game cannot make the difference forever right?

while you are correct good luck trying to argue that point to the sect of sony

The PS3s last hope in Japan is a Slim-line model. Look at the wonders it did for the PSP and DS in Japan.

Take note Sony. Slimline something, and the Japanese people will snatch it up.

luistomas8782 said:
it's coming down from the top. again, one game cannot make the difference forever right?

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G says:  "Haj"!