By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 framerate ~27 FPS average.

windbane said:
IllegalPaladin said:

You can mention 60fps, you just have to be in small areas (like a small room or hut or something like that), have the camera looking at the wall your hugging, or have your solid eye set to IR mode.

Despite that, I don't even see the point of this thread other than some of the slap fights produced by it have been pretty funny.

MGS4 has a generally smooth frame rate and it will drop a little bit in large areas with combat, but it doesn't chug by any means. Now.... compare that to MGO and trying to play a round with 16 people on Gronzy Grad.... ugh....

I haven't seen any framerate problems in MGO, either. You sure it's not lag?

I'm pretty sure that its 30fps @ 720p.

Anyways the extensive use of motion blur in MGS4 goes a long way in making 27-30fps look a lot smoother than it really is.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

27 my hairy arse!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Jesus christ, who gives a fuck, you can play it right? - YES, quite awesomely.

No need to have a blue.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

The overall point is that even though the game is amazing, sony sold us on hype. The 1080p at 60 FPS was a claim that no dev has yet to achieve. And is MGS4 can't do it, they I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I love MGS4 but to say it is without flaw is just foolish.

I try to be reasonable at all times, offer the same back please.

Proud owner of all next gen consoles.

"We do it for the Glory"

I think it's only people like Leo-j that have any problem with this. The game plays smooth enough. The part they tested was the single player which doesn't need to be that high of a frame rate to be good enough. This is nothing new for anyone that tweaks their computer for framerate on a PC. For single player, you try to get the highest quality that is playable. For multiplayer you tune the graphics down a bit more to get a higher framerate. MGS has the best graphics they could produce at a playable framerate. It actually would have been irresponsible for them to go for 60fps. It would have cost them graphic quality to do so.

I give this thread a 9.7.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network
sieanr said:
windbane said:
IllegalPaladin said:

You can mention 60fps, you just have to be in small areas (like a small room or hut or something like that), have the camera looking at the wall your hugging, or have your solid eye set to IR mode.

Despite that, I don't even see the point of this thread other than some of the slap fights produced by it have been pretty funny.

MGS4 has a generally smooth frame rate and it will drop a little bit in large areas with combat, but it doesn't chug by any means. Now.... compare that to MGO and trying to play a round with 16 people on Gronzy Grad.... ugh....

I haven't seen any framerate problems in MGO, either. You sure it's not lag?

I'm pretty sure that its 30fps @ 720p.

Anyways the extensive use of motion blur in MGS4 goes a long way in making 27-30fps look a lot smoother than it really is.

27-30fps is just fine. The standard for movies is 24fps. Unless an object is moving across the screen extremely fast, I don't think you need 60fps. As omgwtfbbq said, it's an MGS game and therefore a slow stealth-based game and doesn't need a high fps. Low fps will hardly be noticable. Until you get to the few in-game cutscenes with Jack (still can't spell the R word, someone help me out here), he moves fast and the frame-rate kind of becomes noticable with him.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

I've seen really small dips in framerate here and there in MGS4 but nothing that would make me say it actually has framerate or have any sort of negative opinion performance on it.

As long as the game consistently stays about the 24-25 FPS mark that's good (note that this rule wouldn't apply if the game were allowed to run above 30FPS).

-edit-

As long as the framerate stays consistent and it doesn't dip to something really low like 20FPS having an average framerate of 27 is good.  Now if the game went up to 60 FPS and occassionally even dipped to 30 then it would look terrible.

Hmm 27 fps? Thats about 24 more fps then a midrange PC will run Crysis at. Fine with me. Lol here comes the rage and quotes from toms hardware.

Leetgeek said:
Hmm 27 fps? Thats about 24 more fps then a midrange PC will run Crysis at. Fine with me. Lol here comes the rage and quotes from toms hardware.

What do you mean by a "mid-range" PC?

Because on medium settings at a resolution that is similar to 720p you should be able to run Crisis at 30 to 60 fps on a $500 PC ... Certainly, if you want ultra-high settings with a resolution far higher than 1080p it will be difficult to maintain 30fps on an affordable system but that is hardly a fair comparison.

Leetgeek said:

I hope Shio doesn't see this.

Anyway, this isn't PC vs PS3 and its best that we leave it at that.

The new radeons absolutely change up the price/performance ratio once more considering that the PS3 hasn't had a price drop since their release. They are smoking HOT!

Tease.