By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 hits a million in first week(Europe)

Konami shipped over 1 million not sold.

Around the Network

A popular french site says it is 1 million sold in Europe first week :)

shanbcn said:
Konami shipped over 1 million not sold.

No they sold more than 1 million units to European retailers. They won't announce if they have 1 million units sitting in an European warehouse unsold. Reading the announcement it's clear that's not the case.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

whacker41 said:
How about we all just wait until the Numbers for europe to come in on VG and see whether it's shipped or sold.

While most people seem to believe that it's shipped, there is room for uncertainty.

Yeah, because VGC is obviously the industry standard....

DTG said:
whacker41 said:
How about we all just wait until the Numbers for europe to come in on VG and see whether it's shipped or sold.

While most people seem to believe that it's shipped, there is room for uncertainty.

Yeah, because VGC is obviously the industry standard....

Have some more faith in the site please, Thank you.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

"The firm also confirmed that 25,000 copies of the the Limited Edition were made available across Europe, but “were snapped up almost immediately.”

Why'd konami only ship 3% LE copies... thats low. I would ship at least 10%

I remember the 1 million preorders for GTS:P in Europe anyone more remeber the thread?

MANUELF said:
I remember the 1 million preorders for GTS:P in Europe anyone more remeber the thread?

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

2008/3/28 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Europe) 1.38

2 month old numbers there

It's shipments. Nobody other than Chart Track, NPD, GFK, Media Create, Enterbrain and VGC track sold to consumer. Thus, especially considering it's Konami stating it, it's definetly shipment sales. End of discussion. We should all know this by now.

Not to mention our numbers pretty much fit perfectly for this.

Neos said:
Hapimeses said:
Neos said:
Hapimeses said:
Neos said:
yea it's shipped, and this seems in line with our figures

I've got to call you out on this and ask why you concluded this. Read the following again:

The publisher says that the title has sold a million copies in Europe since its release on June 12th, and has shipped many more SKUs to its retail partners.

So, the game has sold 1 million copies across Europe, and more are being shipped to plug that gap. Not: 1 million shipped and more to be shipped because there is already a ton shipped.

Konami also confirmed that 25,000 copies of the the Limited Edition were made available across Europe, but “were snapped up almost immediately.”

Next: talking directly about more copies of the game sold, not shipped.

“The Metal Gear Solid series has again proved its huge potential, and we are delighted with the fantastic response the game has enjoyed at retail,”

Finally, for a game to have a response at retail, nor from retailers, they pretty much have to be talking about sales of the game at retail, not the take up of the game from retailers in regards copies shipped.

Now, I'm not saying the article is correct; however, I am saying that it's a bit of a stretch to claim the article talking about shipped numbers when the sentences don't appear to say that, especially when taken as a whole.

Can you explain why you concluded what you did?

Because there is no company in the world that knows its sold to consumers figures, only to retailers...

So, you choose to go against what the words of the article say because you don't believe Konami can have access to a 1,000,000 sold number. I can understand that, even though I'm sure there are many ways Konami can get a pretty good estimate of how many of their copies have sold judging by the demand for more copies and what their retail partners communicate back to them. A clear example of this is the 25,000 limited editions sold (not shipped). Konami knows this. I know this. I presume, if you've been following the news, you know this. Thus, your blanket statement isn't 100% true.

As I said, I don't know what to believe. Conventional wisdom certainly supports your interpretation; however, the source does not, which was why I queried you.

Just to make sure I'm correct: you're saying the article is misleading, yes?

correct =). But that's the normal PR spin we are used to..

i dunno, i'd have to agree with hapimeses. as the article said

"Konami has announced that MGS: Guns Of The Patriots has sold a million copies in Europe since its release on June 12th – and that it has shipped many more SKUs to its retail partners."

if the one million copies is just shipped, then why on earth would they have "shipped many moer SKUs to its retail parterns"?

this would lead us to believe that the 1m units has been sold and that konami has shipped more SKUs to retailers. no need to re stock if you still have inventory right? since the article specifically states that it shipped more SKUs on top of the one million, this would more than likely mean that they have sold out or are in critical stocks of their inventory, hence more shippment.

wether this is acurate or not, i don't know. but this is how i interpret  the article.