By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Gameasutra Article (about VGC) story is on Kotaku

Linky: http://kotaku.com/5018889/analyzing-the-accuracy-of-vgchartz

Analyzing The Accuracy Of VGChartz

We love sales data. We regularly cite NPD Group, Chart Track, Enterbrain and Media Create figures, but rarely, if ever put stock in amateur sales estimation outlet VGChartz. It's not just our aversion to plurals that end with Z, it's that the methodology, the educated guesses that lead the site to conclude that, say, Metal Gear Solid 4 sold 1.3 million copies on day one, don't instill much confidence.

Gamasutra's Simon Carless peeks into the VGChartz methodology and the validity of its weekly published video game sales estimates. In short, his findings point to some noticeably large variations between VGC's guesstimates and more trusted outlets like NPD, to which many publishers subscribe.

We agree with Carless that a community driven resource for estimations is a good idea, but we're not particularly fond of the accuracy that VGC offers. For those passionate about sales data, it's a good read.

I don't know much what to make of the article... but they do bring up the MGS4 news section thingy again.

Around the Network

I posted this in the Ruh Roh thread...was wondering if it deserved its own thread. We'll see how this goes....should be VGChartz Pinata time in about 20 minutes...with the occasional vgcharter posting to break up the monotony/heckling.

I don't think that VGC will ever be able to live down this whole MGS4 thing, especially since what was European information was an estimate.

I don't think that many people liked that at all...

DMeisterJ said:
I don't think that VGC will ever be able to live down this whole MGS4 thing, especially since what was European information was an estimate.

I don't think that many people liked that at all...

Agreed, that one will be used by people for a long, long time to come.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Looks like they're being surprisingly kind and level-headed. Most accept this site for what it is...free; and think it's a non-story.

Around the Network

Sheesh--what were the actual first-day numbers, anyway?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

VGchartz haters will use this as a talking point as long as they draw breath.

Smart, level-headed, informed individuals know better.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Kotaku commentators and reporters are not smart, level-headed, or informed.

Crying over VGChartz adjusting its data compared to other sources is like crying over Kotaku pulling their articles from other sites and message boards.

If people would write an article focusing on the accuracy of the hardware figures at vgchartz, then we would be in business. In the end, hardware is what really matters, anyway. Lets not kid ourselves.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

thekitchensink said:
Sheesh--what were the actual first-day numbers, anyway?

ioi has stated more like 1.1.

But at first the article Louie posted stated 1.5, then 1.3, but it was more like 1.1.  That's basically what the article is saying.

super_etecoon said:
I posted this in the Ruh Roh thread...was wondering if it deserved its own thread. We'll see how this goes....should be VGChartz Pinata time in about 20 minutes...with the occasional vgcharter posting to break up the monotony/heckling.

I actually do it.

I'm not a blind fanboy and this rage against VGC bothers me.

If somebody have an account at Kotaku (personally my most loved site for gaming news) please enter the forum and tell your thinks about this,we have to defend the site.

I don't see how defending the site will help. We'll only look foolish. Who cares if some people don't like VGChartz! The people who know the site and come on it know its purpose and I'm sure many people appreciate it beside us, regular posters.

You won't be able to get through those rock headed people. It's just like trying to convince someone who has some conspiration theory. Even if all the evidence are there they won't listen.