By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty reveals the hard truth about playing hours/habits of wii owners

TWRoO said:
XiaoMay said:
darconi said:
Chrizum said:
Wait, how does the Nintendo channel know how long you have played the game? I mean, I submitted some questionnaires, but many of those games I haven't finished yet.

What they say about Okami makes no sense, as people can still play it AFTER they submitted their questionnaire, right?

It pulls the data from your Wii calendar play data. If you checked the calendar, it says how much time you spent playing games and what games. When you get the Nintendo channel, it tells you that to get demos, you have to allow them to pull that info off.

I don't think it works in European version of the Wii

I checked my calendar and I can't see how long I played a game

Where do you get that info ? Did someone in Europe managed to find it ?

Go to your Wii message board, on there there will be a white envelope called "todays achievements" for every day you have entered a channel or game. (except GC games). The Nintendo channel basically takes all of the "today's achievements" messages and adds them together.

I myself have made a running tally of how many hours I have played each game and channel anyway, so when the statistics are revealed on Europes Nintendo Channel I think I will make a thread to compare.

Here is my original "1000 hours of Wii" thread.
I can't find my "1 year of Wii" thread as it is too general for the search.

Ah, found it: 1 year of Wii.

Ok

I found this info, I thought you were refering to a sum up of all games you played, but you meant only one day achievement. This info is useless, they should have made a sum up somewhere.

I want to know how long I played Mario Galaxy or Wii Sport

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
Gaming has changed - idtaged gamers, play idtaged games on idtaged platforms with idtaged controllers, play time control, method control, gaming field control, everything is calculated and controled... gaming has changed.

Epic post of the day.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

>Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Here it is. The hardcore gamer's game for the Wii. It's logged 4,113,000 hours of total play time by Nintendo Channel users. The average total playtime for a gamer who owns MP3 is 21 hours and 16 minutes, meaning people are playing this thing to the end. They do it across 9.9 sessions. And if you start doing some fancy math with the numbers in this entry and the ones above, you may notice that the casual games seem to get played an average of an hour per session. But this hardcore game ropes in its players for two hours at a time.

now, I'm not great at math, but from those numbers... it states only around 200K MP3 was sold? Or else people simply bought MP3, but never played it??

Please explain it to me.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
DKII said:
The problem with this data is it limits any one session to 6 hours. So if I play for a few hours each night but leave the game on in pause overnight and do this for a week or two, it'll still only count it as one session of 6 hours.

For me another problem is the average with the number of sessions.

For example I just bought Okami ( Europe here ) and I played 3 or 4 sessions.

One session of 4 hour, another of 3 hour and two sessions were I only starring at the title screens ( sometime before go to work I watch the movies that appears when you don't touch anything )

So the average in this case is meaningless.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

kingofwale said:
>Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Here it is. The hardcore gamer's game for the Wii. It's logged 4,113,000 hours of total play time by Nintendo Channel users. The average total playtime for a gamer who owns MP3 is 21 hours and 16 minutes, meaning people are playing this thing to the end. They do it across 9.9 sessions. And if you start doing some fancy math with the numbers in this entry and the ones above, you may notice that the casual games seem to get played an average of an hour per session. But this hardcore game ropes in its players for two hours at a time.

now, I'm not great at math, but from those numbers... it states only around 200K MP3 was sold? Or else people simply bought MP3, but never played it??

Please explain it to me.

Explained.

It only includes people who:

1. Have the game.
2. Have the Nintendo Channel
3. Have agreed to show their playtime using the Nintendo Channel.

Around the Network
celine said:
DKII said:
The problem with this data is it limits any one session to 6 hours. So if I play for a few hours each night but leave the game on in pause overnight and do this for a week or two, it'll still only count it as one session of 6 hours.

For me another problem is the average with the number of sessions.

For example I just bought Okami ( Europe here ) and I played 3 or 4 sessions.

One session of 4 hour, another of 3 hour and two sessions were I only starring at the title screens ( sometime before go to work I watch the movies that appears when you don't touch anything )

So the average in this case is meaningless.

It's still nice data none-the-less. You just have to understand how it works.

Obviously it cannot be applied to all users because only those who have the Nintendo channel took part, this means most of the "casuals" are taken out.
Then the session time is limited to 6 hours per day, so that takes out part of the most hardcore users (I have 2 sessions of LoZ and 1 of RE4 that are over 6 hours I think)

@DKII, what a waste of power... it takes about 30 seconds to get back into the game from turning it off, why the hell do you need to leave it on pause for days.

TWRoO said:
kingofwale said:

Please explain it to me.

Explained.

1. Have the game.

then the question will become, how good a representation this number is? I mean, if Fox has a pull of their viewer who they will vote for in the next election, I am sure McCain's name will show up. But how is that comparing to what's the MAIN market is?

Yes, gamers who CHOSE to have their number showed up in Nintendo Channel, aren't exactly soccer mom or retire home users. Then those numbers are grossly inaccurate.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
TWRoO said:
kingofwale said:

Please explain it to me.

Explained.

1. Have the game.

then the question will become, how good a representation this number is? I mean, if Fox has a pull of their viewer who they will vote for in the next election, I am sure McCain's name will show up. But how is that comparing to what's the MAIN market is?

Yes, gamers who CHOSE to have their number showed up in Nintendo Channel, aren't exactly soccer mom or retire home users. Then those numbers are grossly inaccurate.

You are assuming that non-gamers WON'T be installing this Channel.  Nintendo did advertise the channel to every internet-enabled Wii, and I feel that non-gamers would be as likely (if not more likely) to download it (as their internam memory's space won't be filled with all sorts of VC and WiiWare game most likely).

There is certainly a bias for Internet-enabled Wiis, and a bias for those who are willing to show their play times, but I am not convinced that either of those biases are particularly 'hardcore' leaning.  Up until rather recently, the most useful things you could do with being internet-enabled were use the Internet channel, News, and Weather -- not exactly the most hardcore offerings.

All told, I do not believe there is enough information available to cry 'bias' with respect to the data; until you show that gamers are more likely to download this and share their usage, I see no reason to assume that there is any greater proportion among gamers than among the general populace.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

kingofwale said:
TWRoO said:
kingofwale said:

Please explain it to me.

Explained.

1. Have the game.

Those numbers aren't inaccurate, it's an evaluation of the data based off of the people who, like TWRoO, explained:

1. Have the game.

It's not meant to be data that represents each and every Wii owner who has any particular game. Read it as, the play/usage data for the people who own/rent and played Metroid Prime 3 for over an hour and agreed to the aforementioned stipulations.

As long as you know it's only date derived from that particular group MP3 players, then the information is in no way inaccurate.

If anything the numbers given by Nintendo Channel undertrack the usage of those games, but given the ratio of players to session and hours played, and VGchartz sell through numbers you can come up with a number I'm sure.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D