By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ninty reveals the hard truth about playing hours/habits of wii owners

It's really quite a bargain if you think about it. 3 people go to 5 movies, ten hours of entertainment costs 120 bucks plus gas and expensive movie theater food. One game is $50 plus ramen.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
darconi said:
Chrizum said:
Wait, how does the Nintendo channel know how long you have played the game? I mean, I submitted some questionnaires, but many of those games I haven't finished yet.

What they say about Okami makes no sense, as people can still play it AFTER they submitted their questionnaire, right?

It pulls the data from your Wii calendar play data.  If you checked the calendar, it says how much time you spent playing games and what games.  When you get the Nintendo channel, it tells you that to get demos, you have to allow them to pull that info off.

Yeah but what I mean is, they can't know how long you play the game after you submitted the questionnaire. So I may submit it after playing a game for 2 hours, and play another 28 hours afterwards. For this reason, this information is totally useless, and I think it's silly Kotaku draws conclusions from this.

You don't submit a questionaire, it gets the data from your Wii.  All they ask is if it's ok to do it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Chrizum said:
darconi said:
Chrizum said:
Wait, how does the Nintendo channel know how long you have played the game? I mean, I submitted some questionnaires, but many of those games I haven't finished yet.

What they say about Okami makes no sense, as people can still play it AFTER they submitted their questionnaire, right?

It pulls the data from your Wii calendar play data.  If you checked the calendar, it says how much time you spent playing games and what games.  When you get the Nintendo channel, it tells you that to get demos, you have to allow them to pull that info off.

Yeah but what I mean is, they can't know how long you play the game after you submitted the questionnaire. So I may submit it after playing a game for 2 hours, and play another 28 hours afterwards. For this reason, this information is totally useless, and I think it's silly Kotaku draws conclusions from this.

You don't submit a questionaire, it gets the data from your Wii.  All they ask is if it's ok to do it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Still, Okami is only out (at least in Europe) for less than a week. It's perfectly normal that people haven't finished it yet.

But yeah, the data at least is useful, generally speaking.

Boom blox, Okami, are a lesser extent wii fit are just too new to know how long people will play them in total. Some people might complete a game in a week, but others might take several months or longer...

So where can one read the raw data? I want to see how often people are playing Brawl online. Granted, this is a self-selected sample and all, but...

Around the Network

Wow. That's a balls move by Nintendo. Not too sure SpEAlburg would appreciate having that particular number posted. Ouch.
I don't generally trust these types of polls as anything resembling trustworthy, which makes the inclusion of Boom Blox all the more puzzling(get it?) Unless it wasn't done through a poll but by reading each individual Wii's stats(like Xbox Live.)
Either way, they probably should have left third parties out of it.

Isn't all that data only supposed to represent 11%.

Great numbers on Boom Blox for only being a month old. If it keeps it up, it will be played 10x more than Carnival Games this time next year.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

I'd imagine that these numbers are heavily skewed by people renting the game, or using a service like Gamefly.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Gaming has changed - idtaged gamers, play idtaged games on idtaged platforms with idtaged controllers, play time control, method control, gaming field control, everything is calculated and controled... gaming has changed.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D