By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the Wii ever outsell the PS360?

I posted the same question with different words when I asked if the Wii will reach >= 50% market share in 2008 back in February or so.

Personally, I sort of doubt it for this year.  The primary reason is that the Wii supply has not yet reached the 2.4 million units that Nintendo said they'd shoot for and the secondary reason is that the PS3 is doing a little better than expected.  It's still possble, but Nintendo would have to ramp up supply significantly.

Around the Network

No It will never make 50% market share.

mM

If it doesn't happen this year, it happens in 2009.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The OP is about as piss-poor an analysis as all those Wii hate articles.

It just makes general assumptions about Wii buyers, while completely ignoring actual numbers, like the number of the gap between the Wii and the HD systems, which has actually gotten smaller by nearly two million in less than a month.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

yep

Around the Network

If things stay the same as now it will but I don't think things will stay this way forever or even very long (no, I'm not saying that the Wii will stop selling, I'm saying that all it takes to keep it from attaining or keeping a 50% + marketshare is a slight increase in the sales of the other two).

It'll get there. I'm guessing it'll do it by the end of 09 at the latest.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Let's look at this objectively, in ~6 month increments:

January 5 2007: Gap = 6.21 million
29th June 2007: Gap = 5.19 million
January 4 2008: Gap = 5.58 million
Today: Gap = 5.12 million

(I hope I didn't screw up, it was a lot of numbers to add and subract)

The gap has gotten smaller, but has been more or less stable for a year. However, Nintendo is on the verge of bringing additional production online.

If production had kept up with demand, the Wii would probably have overcome the gap already.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Likely will surpass if there are no supply constrain issues. However, we don't know if the PS60 sales are going rise more or lower...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

^well even if they rise it doesnt mean that wii sales wont rise

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"