By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this gen of consoles sell more or less than the previos gen?

According to the VGchartz hardware table, the Ps2, Xbox, and Gamecube collectively sold 162,128,815 consoles (and counting)

Thus far, the Wii, Ps3, and Xbox 360 have sold 60,558,033 consoles (and counting, of course). A long ways to go.

I'm interested in if the Wii/Ps3/360 will outsell the Ps2/GC/XB. A couple reasons why the current gen may outsell the previous gen is that causual gaming could bring in a lot of gamers who didn't purchase any systems last gen .

Also, there are currently three viable systems, as opposed to one super dominate system. This may promote people to buy multiple systems as opposed to just one.

Thoughts?

Console XB GC PS2
Total
Console Wii PS3 X360
Total

Systems Owned (in order of purchase)

NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

Around the Network

I think that when its all said and done this gen. will greatly outsell the last one.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Simple answer: Definitely.

The 360, at 2.5 years, will likely outsell the 2nd- and 3rd-place consoles of last gen this year, despite being out 1.5 years and 2.5 years less, respectively.

PS3 will likely accomplish this sometime in the middle of next year, as well.

Wii has ALREADY outsold both 2nd- and 3rd-place consoles last gen. At the rate the Wii is going, it will (AT THE VERY LEAST) match the PS2, as it's sold more than the PS2 for this point in its' life despite the outrageous shortages. Even if demand dies down, they still have many, many trump cards to play, such as new colours, third-party support increasing pretty much daily, better advertising for the bigger games, and, as a last resort (gasp!) a price drop!

My prediction still stands.

Xbox 360: 50-65 million
Playstation 3: 50-65 million
Wii: 150+ million

Those are my high predictions for PS360, and my mid-range prediction for Wii.

I strongly believe Wii will accomplish this task on its' own, and the other two will be a nice supplement.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Combined they will.

The Wii has a tiny shot at doing it itself, but more than likely, it'll justoutsell the PS3 by ten or twenty mil.

I think the Wii alone will outsell the entire 6th generation, so... yes.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Combined they will.

The Wii has a tiny shot at doing it itself, but more than likely, it'll justoutsell the PS2 by ten or twenty mil.

I seriously hope that's what you meant.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
DMeisterJ said:
Combined they will.

The Wii has a tiny shot at doing it itself, but more than likely, it'll justoutsell the PS2 by ten or twenty mil.

I seriously hope that's what you meant.

Uh..yeah Mister Meister, was it the PS2 you meant there?

Predictions in sig. (i'll raise the Wii one soon though.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

you forgot to add Dreamcast sales.

Firstly you forgot the Dreamcast and its measly 10 mil or whatever it sold.

But i think it will be higher this gen.