By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 a faster money sink than the Xbox? I can see why no price cuts soon.

ssj12 said:
alpha_dk said:
Leetgeek said:

Heh you got me acronym overload. Ok so VOD= Video on demand.

How about this one VODINAI1080p

Can you guess what that means?

VODINAI1080p= Video on demand is not available in 1080P ;)

ROFLOL U R TEH CLEVER N THAT WAS TEH FUNNYZZZZ.

Yet somehow, SD rez doesn't seem to be stopping services like Netflix's Roku, NBC's Hulu, or ANY of the competing IP-based video-on-demand services from pulling in huge numbers of viewers.  For example, in April alone, 63 million videos were watched on Hulu, a small subset of video on demand. 

Compare this to LTD Blu-ray sales being at 11 Million.

Let that sink in; in April, there were 6x as many videos watched on a small subset of video on demand sites as there have EVER been sales on Blu-ray.

People as a whole don't care about 1080p.  Video On Demand is where the future is (and where the future money is).

not totally true, a lot of people use VOD to confirm if a movie is worth purchasing on DVD or Blu-ray. This is why for the last two weeks of sales data from Neilson VideoScan Blu-ray revenue has been around 10 million and DVD revenue between 120 and 140 million dollars.

IF you divide the MSRP price for Bluray, $35, into 10 million you get 285,714 movies sold. Now taking DVD's MSRP of $25, devided into 130 million, you get 5,200,000.

If you use my quick estimates it shows that VOD might be have a ton of watchers but a ton of people still by into hard media. My estimates still dont take into account for discounts and other sales.

I agree that physical media still has a place for right now; I am talking more about the future.  Look at CD sales for a probable vision to the future of DVDs/BRs; they still sell, but there is no more growth.  All the growth is in other areas.  If you were to look at Blu-Ray purchasers, I am going to pull a number out of my ass and say that 90% of them probably bought DVDs as well.  In that sense, Blu-Ray is just cannibalizing an existing purchaser base. 

VoD lowers the barrier to entry for people to watch it (by in some cases being free with ads, in other cases being an add-on to a subscription people already had, etc).  Because of thise, it can expand to reach new people and provide growth in the market, because you don't have to spend $30 on the DVDs to see if Friday Night Lights is worth watching (hint: it is, and I've purchased in on physical media).  However, because with VOD you can expand to new customers, the overall growth of the market is greater.

As time goes on, physical media will get more and more outdated until the point where it is seen more as a nuisance than anything else; for many people, CDs are reaching that point (or have already passed it).

Granted, the movie/TV companies will like this no more than the record companies like the transition; DVDs and Blu-Ray are high margin, low volume; a show like Friday Night Lights, or Firefly, or any number of underappreciated shows can have respectable DVD sales because of a devoted audience, even if they do not pull in the huge ratings.

VoD, on the other hand, is high-volume low-margin (i.e, ad-supported or subscription supported for the most part).  VoD, will never be as profitable per copy as DVD/BR.  It balances that out by making it available to be appreciated by a huge audience.

It will be a long, slow process; but I would be more comforable with having my money invested in companies going the digital distribution route than the physical media route at this point.  If you disagree, you're welcome to invest your money elsewhere.  I just think mine would be the safer one ;-P.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
ssj12 said:
alpha_dk said:
Leetgeek said:

Heh you got me acronym overload. Ok so VOD= Video on demand.

How about this one VODINAI1080p

Can you guess what that means?

VODINAI1080p= Video on demand is not available in 1080P ;)

ROFLOL U R TEH CLEVER N THAT WAS TEH FUNNYZZZZ.

Yet somehow, SD rez doesn't seem to be stopping services like Netflix's Roku, NBC's Hulu, or ANY of the competing IP-based video-on-demand services from pulling in huge numbers of viewers.  For example, in April alone, 63 million videos were watched on Hulu, a small subset of video on demand. 

Compare this to LTD Blu-ray sales being at 11 Million.

Let that sink in; in April, there were 6x as many videos watched on a small subset of video on demand sites as there have EVER been sales on Blu-ray.

People as a whole don't care about 1080p.  Video On Demand is where the future is (and where the future money is).

not totally true, a lot of people use VOD to confirm if a movie is worth purchasing on DVD or Blu-ray. This is why for the last two weeks of sales data from Neilson VideoScan Blu-ray revenue has been around 10 million and DVD revenue between 120 and 140 million dollars.

IF you divide the MSRP price for Bluray, $35, into 10 million you get 285,714 movies sold. Now taking DVD's MSRP of $25, devided into 130 million, you get 5,200,000.

If you use my quick estimates it shows that VOD might be have a ton of watchers but a ton of people still by into hard media. My estimates still dont take into account for discounts and other sales.

I agree that physical media still has a place for right now; I am talking more about the future.  Look at CD sales for a probable vision to the future of DVDs/BRs; they still sell, but there is no more growth.  All the growth is in other areas.  If you were to look at Blu-Ray purchasers, I am going to pull a number out of my ass and say that 90% of them probably bought DVDs as well.  In that sense, Blu-Ray is just cannibalizing an existing purchaser base. 

VoD lowers the barrier to entry for people to watch it (by in some cases being free with ads, in other cases being an add-on to a subscription people already had, etc).  Because of thise, it can expand to reach new people and provide growth in the market, because you don't have to spend $30 on the DVDs to see if Friday Night Lights is worth watching (hint: it is, and I've purchased in on physical media).  However, because with VOD you can expand to new customers, the overall growth of the market is greater.

As time goes on, physical media will get more and more outdated until the point where it is seen more as a nuisance than anything else; for many people, CDs are reaching that point (or have already passed it).

Granted, the movie/TV companies will like this no more than the record companies like the transition; DVDs and Blu-Ray are high margin, low volume; a show like Friday Night Lights, or Firefly, or any number of underappreciated shows can have respectable DVD sales because of a devoted audience, even if they do not pull in the huge ratings.

VoD, on the other hand, is high-volume low-margin (i.e, ad-supported or subscription supported for the most part).  VoD, will never be as profitable per copy as DVD/BR.  It balances that out by making it available to be appreciated by a huge audience.

It will be a long, slow process; but I would be more comforable with having my money invested in companies going the digital distribution route than the physical media route at this point.  If you disagree, you're welcome to invest your money elsewhere.  I just think mine would be the safer one ;-P.

Well with Blu-ray music might get a second round in the HD music players again. Thats right music on Blu-ray in stunning quality.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Surround_Records/Music_on_High-Def/Disc_Announcements/Tchaikovskys_Piano_Concertos_Audio_Blu-ray_Announced/1839

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

well sony did lose alot of money,it will be smart for them to start making rofit and then using that money to make big games,and making even more money and repeat

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

ssj12 said:

Well with Blu-ray music might get a second round in the HD music players again. Thats right music on Blu-ray in stunning quality.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Surround_Records/Music_on_High-Def/Disc_Announcements/Tchaikovskys_Piano_Concertos_Audio_Blu-ray_Announced/1839

Lol?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

alpha_dk said:
ssj12 said:

Lol?

I;m serious, I loved the idea of super-audio CDs back in the day. They offered a much cleaner sound then CDs. If they were Blu-Music Discs the audio quality would be amazing. 7.1 Uncompressed audio = awesome!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
Username2324 said:
You know that doesn't mean that the PS3 is still losing money, a few months ago we found out they were just about cutting even on the 40GBs.

In any case, hasn't the 360 lost like 7 billion not including all of the R&D?

This is all incorrect. The 360 has lost ~2.5 billion for Microsoft, and has now posted profits of ~550 million over the last 3 quarter. Second, the PS3 is not about cutting even, according to Sony, they are still losing ~130 dollars per PS3 shipped (although analysts estimate it could be even more).  

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/05/15/sony-could-be-losing-much-more-than-130-on-every-console-sold/

MS try to make their books look good by hiding the 360 repair costs in some other division.

The total for that will be well over 1 Billion USD by now.  They are still failing...

PSN - hanafuda

ssj12 said:
alpha_dk said:
ssj12 said:

Lol?

I;m serious, I loved the idea of super-audio CDs back in the day. They offered a much cleaner sound then CDs. If they were Blu-Music Discs the audio quality would be amazing. 7.1 Uncompressed audio = awesome!

The problem is... you're about the only one.

If people cared about sound quality we wouldn't have CD's or Cassette tapes. Everyone would still be spinning the Vinyl.

Which is generally the problem. Your looking at this stuff from a tech enthusiasts point of view. Not from the view of the market as a whole.

I mean... why didn't Laserdisc catch on? It was better in every way.  Why did VHS beat out Betamax when Beta was the better format?

These are the kind of things the tech enthusists miss.

Username2324 said:
Squilliam said:
Leetgeek said:

Try downloading a movie at 1080 P and realize why downloading is not the wave of the future.

3-5gb is the maximum you'd need to satisfy 98% of the market 100% of the time.

The new compression technology is amazing. The new Wireless technology is amazing as well.

Who will want Blu ray when storage/networking/playback technology is progressing so rapidly?

By the way, don't worry about the cable companies... they'll be the ones who'll sell you the movies so they'll make damn sure that the bandwidth is available so you can stream movies straight away. I think they're even rolling out 100mbit around the big cities.

Do you want to A - Drive to the store to buy that new dvd that you really want, or B download it onto your media server and have it available on all your computers/tvs at once for less than you would have paid for the DVD?

The luddites will stick with DVD and the early adopters will abandon blu ray. Think Ipod and you'll understand.

3-5GB Would be your average movie compressed in 720p, and as new technologies come out, and 1080p TVs become more popular, the market will want more.

I find it funny how you're all into "new technology" and you think it's all so "amazing" yet you want to stick with DVD. I doubt you've ever watched a movie in 1080p, or you'd see why so many of us dislike DVD and prefer Blu-ray.

I sit between 3-9 feet away from a 53" 1080p Sony bravia LCD tv. I see a difference, I just don't care for the difference enough to justify buying a $400 player and more expensive disks. The cost/benifit is simply not there, especially when I can't play those disks in my car or on my other Dvd player... I can't lend them to friends because they don't have blu ray etc. It just isn't worth it.

I have the TV, I have the player but I don't care for the disks or the content improvement.

I sat

Tease.

ssj12 said:
alpha_dk said:
ssj12 said:

Lol?

Yeah, and you need a $2000+ Stereo system to really apreciate it! Furthermore, what percentage of the population notices and then what percentage of the people who notice really care about the quality difference?

Tease.

I don't think turning up a profit will be as hard as it seems.
The PS3 installed base is starting to be big enough for software sales to start counterbalancing hardware sales.

One example :
April 2007 : 372k PS3 sold, 636k PS3 software sold ( incomplete numbers but what VGChartz has). 1.7 software units sold per console.

April 2008 : 682k PS3 sold, 4.1 millions PS3 software units sold( VGCChartz numbers again). 6 units of software sold per PS3.

Keep in mind this is April the month in the quarter without big titles.

May and June will be more like 7 or 8 software units/console with GTA4 and MGS4...

And as time pass this ratio will become bigger and bigger.( I woudn't be surprised if we get to something like 10-12 in 6 months for the holyday period).

Sure PS2 software are slowing down to counterbalance the rise in PS3 software but I can't believe Sony is still making that much per sale of PS2 software these days seeing how most games are priced at 30$ or less NEW....

This rise in PS3 software sales ( which will keep happening as the installed base increase ) will be the key factor in PS3 turning a profit and will be what will enable more price cuts ( I still think we will have at least a 50$ cut around the holydays).

PS : this is the same thing that made the 360 turn a profit last year, once you have over 10-12 millions console out the monthly ratio of software/console sold increases a lot and software start covering for hardware loss...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !