By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First review of Alone in the dark kind of disappointment :( Wait for FF4

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=4827

It's with a great sense of anticipation that we approach the launch of Atari's brand new thriller adventure game. Nintendo gamers haven't been treated to a mature game with a genuinely thrilling storyline since Resident Evil 4 was released over a year ago and it's about time fans of the genre got something to stick their teeth into. We're sorry to report though that you might want to chomp down on your Wii Remote for a while because the two words that immediately spring to mind here would have to be 'utter' and 'disappointment'.

Alone In The Dark is a thriller adventure game set in the city of New York. You begin the game clueless of your origins or your identity with your only concrete knowledge being that people around you are being slaughtered by an unseen evil at an alarming rate. You play through the game learning who you can trust and what abilities you possess but you have to learn quickly because the mysterious evil that seems to be taking over the city is growing more powerful.

You soon learn that in order to progress you need to take advantage of everything in your surroundings. You won't always have ammo at your disposal so poles, chairs, bins and fire extinguishers are often the only way to dispose of enemies or break through doors. Item combination is one of the game's strengths and independent control of your two arms (via the Nunchuk and Wii Remote) means you can use two items together to devastating effect.

Unfinished Business
Over the past six months we've brought you various previews of this game and every time we've said the same thing: it has the potential to be absolutely stunning. All the elements are there: the amazing atmosphere, the mysterious storyline, the satisfaction when you figure out the puzzles (the game gives you little help and you have to figure out most things yourself), the fantastic implementation of the Wii controls (well, most of the time anyway... the vehicle controls are awful). As much as it pains us to say it though, these elements all fall by the wayside because Alone In The Dark simply isn't finished. It smacks of a game that's been rushed out the door to hit a deadline.

It's the basic things that present the most obvious problems. Not being able to pick up an item that has a huge 'A' button prompt until you've turned around and looked at it from a different angle. We can't describe how much that ruins the game when you're trying to get away from an enemy and want to pick up some ammo on the fly.

In fact, all of the problems that we outlined in our preview a few months ago are still present in their entirety. You still can't look at your feet, meaning that if you want to pick something up you have to take a few steps back. And the driving controls are still awful, making the car and forklift sections a painful chore instead of an enjoyable aside.

Alone In The Dark is an utter disappointment. Gamers willing to stick with it will get some great moments out of it but the knowledge that it should and could have been so much better with an extra six months of development (i.e. had they actually finished the game) is almost too much to bear. And the knowledge that the Xbox360 and PS3 versions ARE finished grates yet further. This game shouldn't be on the shelves in this state; it's as simple as that

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

that is a shame..i hate when devs get a push in the back or a pink slip and they have to choose the push to get the product out of the door...i am tired of this kinda crap..i understand that you guys want to make money but think more about the money that you could make and less about the nickel and dimes that are filling your wallet now

I even have high hopes for this game. I think I have to raise the EA torch right now, theyre the only 3rd party that is serious on the Wii right now, and if someone ask Im talking about western 3rd parties this time, OK?

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

its not just the wii version it seem slike all of them got the boot...if i want crap guys i can just turn around after going to the bathroom.....hell that is free...but if i want a good game i need to turn to you and your severely lacking on this

I'm still interested in trying it--and LOL at the guy who said the PS3 version is finished, when it's not coming out for months XD

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I only liked the first one, all the others have sucked, this is no surprise, but disappointing

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

So why wasn't the Wii version delayed along with the PS3 one? Talk about disrespecting Wii owners...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think it needs more reviews, we must not judge the game in just only one review(Wishful thinking here)

E3 2010- Tape runs out

I just got the game and it is indeed crap. Too bad, guess we'll have to wait for FF4 :/

thekitchensink said:
I'm still interested in trying it--and LOL at the guy who said the PS3 version is finished, when it's not coming out for months XD

Thats why it has the best chace of gaining the status "finished"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler