By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why companies arent considering nintendo direct competition?

SpartanFX said:
sc94597 said:
SpartanFX said:
I honestly think it's due to different audiences these companies are targeting,,,,,nintendo is exploring audiences that Sony/Microsoft had no intention of (or didn't think about) exploring it.

for example ,Honda is exploring different market audience than say jeep ,despite both being cars.( jeep does not consider Honda as a direct competition ,,,, the reason being different market audiences)

But nintendo is still targetting their same audience, but expanding on it. So yes they are still competing.

yea they are still competing but in a much lower degree than say last generation when all of the three consoles were competing for the same 70% marketsahre(other 30%  were the people who loved one of the consoles first party titles)

We will see more of this competiotion at e3. Nintendo already promised that they will focus on the hardcore this E3.

Around the Network

^yes they will announce a few core titles for wii,cant wait to see which ones they will be

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^yes they will announce a few core titles for wii,cant wait to see which ones they will be

One of them better be a 2d metroid for the wii, ds , or wiiware. If not then I will have to hunt them down.

^i think they will release a 2d one on DS,i hope they also release another 2d donkey kong game

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^i think they will release a 2d one on DS,i hope they also release another 2d donkey kong game

Donkey Kong is fine in 3d, but I agree the 2d donkey kongs were my favorite. I hope nintendo put retro studios to work on 1 donkey kong game, and a new ip.

Around the Network

Because the quality of the best Nintendo games is not an achievable goal for any other existing company.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

oliist said:
Because the quality of the best Nintendo games is not an achievable goal for any other existing company.

haha. my thoughts exactly.

Yeah I think they are sore losers. They can't accept that a console that's less powerful, less costly gets more attention. The best solution they found to counter all of it is to say that they don't target the same audience which is a quite weird argument.

Who are Sony targeting when they release games like Little Big Planet, Eye Toy Games, flOw, Patapon and more? Or Xbox with Viva Piñata? Sure core gamers like it too but it does make more diverse people interested than just your average gamers.

Sure it's not their main target but when did Nintendo said that they ONLY target casuals? They also target core players. Core gamers even play with those "casual" titles. They target everyone and this is why it's selling so well. Also why Sony and Microsoft like to so proudly claim they don't compete with Ninty.

It's not really anyone's place to say what's really on their minds... Cause we can't read it so we can't know for sure but we can theorise and that's fun! ^^

Nintendo making video games? Never heard of it.

MontanaHatchet said:

Because this is the first time in history where the two losing consoles are getting tons of games that the leading console isn't, especially when these games were on the leading console's predecessor, even if multiplatform (Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems to be a good example of this).

Except... Sony is claiming the same thing for the DS. Which doesn't meet any of your qualifications.

So... no.... your wrong. That's now why they're saying it.

If you ask me it's because Sony and Microsoft care less about videogames and more about entertainment.

The design philospy of Nintendo is to make a system that plays games... period. They follow the company motto. Do one thing exceptionally. They don't even like to own other buisnesses selling them off whenever they aquire something related to the VG buisness.

While the other two companies are more interested in taking over your living room. Either one would do anything for that... as it's a much larger piece of the pie as far as money goes.

Well also Microsoft more wants Sony to not get a hub, as a thing like the Playstation 3 controlling your living room is basically "like" a PC... and that could be a mega inroad into the PC market hurting their profitability.

The Wii isn't going to take over anyones movie collection or sound system or anything else... so it doesn't challenge their ulitamte goal it just delays it.

It's the same with the PSP.  The PSP isn't really a game system... it's really more a multimedia device... that primarily was trying to push UMDs.  Though that failed, it stil has other non game uses.