By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wall Street analysts comments on the NPD v VGChartz debate

Great stuff...

And they acknowledged our community! Awesome...

Around the Network

Neogaf breakdown in 30 seconds.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

But won't Neo-GAF ban the person posting due to the word VG chartz in it

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The first two comments are just lovely.

@Montana: I agree. I can't see why VGC and NPD can't live side by side like MediaCreate and Famitsu do in Japan. Having two views of the market can be very handy, especially since no one is ever going to be 100%, so seeing trends from two different sources could help one determine what the general trend is. If nothing else, they can at least make sure both sources relatively agree.

I think the next step for ioi is to split the America numbers into USA, Canada and then Other Americas, or just into USA and Other Americas. That way we could have a better idea of what USA sales actually are, to compare them to NPD.

Interesting article. Always good to see ioi get some deserved credit.

Ok some you seriously need to see the comments on that page.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
Neogaf breakdown in 30 seconds.

I think you mean 30 seconds ago.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

@stever: coexistance might not happen as VGchartz poses a major threat to the NPD business model. Why pay for data that you can get from a second source at almost same quality for free?

No one here has anything against NPD. The other way around, I am not so sure...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Wow those two sure can't handle VGC success

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

The first comment make puke a little:

meister [06.17.08 03:25 AM]

Interesting article but you really should do more homework before you author stories like these.

vgchartz.com is all about smoke and mirrors. He continually lies to his visitors. I can explain his real history in great detail if you're interested but Brett Walton, the site's founder, is nothing more than a petty manipulator and illusionist. The problem is, he sees nothing wrong with what he's doing. It really does boil down to the fact that his visitors believe what he's posted in his "Methodology" section. For the record, he's lying to his visitors. He doesn't collect data from retailers. All of vgchartz's figures are guesstimates. He TAKES charted information and best sellers lists from online stores like Amazon (this is how he's able to get a ballpark Top 10 list each week/month), and from stores like Wal-mart, Target and Gamecrazy, then fits that data to chart positions, using publicly available historical information from NPD, Famitsu and other reputable firms for reference. In reality, he uses public chart positions, press releases and shipment figures to come up with sales figures. Don't believe any of this? Ask him!

This is NOT Brett Walton's (vgchartz) proprietary information, nor is this information something that a real analyst couldn't compile with a little hard work and common sense but at the end of the day it's all about making it easy. Ahhh, that's why we have to love the Internet. There's no longer a need for integrity. Just point and shoot ... I mean, click.

vgchartz's information belongs to the market research firms and retailers he's lifting it from. He should give credit where credit is due. He's making a name for himself off the hard work of others. Wal-Mart, Target, GameCrazy, NPD, Famitsu, Chart Track, Amazon ... the list is large but not nearly as large as Brett Walton's ego.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ioi said:
Well without making the situation worse, the reason VGC and NPD aren't, it seems, able to get on is because NPD hate our very existence and are trying to do everything possible (wouldn't suprise me if meister wasn't linked to them) to discredit us with the same old tired and inaccurate lies time after time.

The animosity is definitely one-way and is for one reason - because we are doing a good job and they see us as competition, despite the fact we are neither trying nor succeeding in competing directly - we offer a very different service as the writer of this article perfectly sums up and the guys commenting miss as always.

Well of course they hate our very existence. Our popularity is growing vastly and very quickly, and we offer far more data than NPD. As long as we continue to act like the bigger man, than NPD will just embarrass themselves in the eyes of the public. And while they're doing that, Vgchartz will be there with open arms and a vast array of reliable sales numbers