By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Ban on members with

... Creating threads with less than 100 posts? Looking at the front page, I saw 4 threads by someone called "caesar 92" that not only asked troll questions, but weren't even written in good english. I also saw 2 threads by someone called "reggie 2". The linking factor? Their combined post count was 10. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but I think that a ban should be placed on the creation of threads until a threshold of posts has been reached, to ensure that brand new members don't damage the site with a bunch of crap. Do you agree? (I appreciate that I have a relatively low post count, but I have been a member of the site for over a year, it's just I rarely post)

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

Yes, that will also slow down spammers

It sounds like a great idea, but it might not happn unforunantly.

solojohlo said:
... Creating threads with less than 100 posts? Looking at the front page, I saw 4 threads by someone called "caesar 92" that not only asked troll questions, but weren't even written in good english. I also saw 2 threads by someone called "reggie 2". The linking factor? Their combined post count was 10. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but I think that a ban should be placed on the creation of threads until a threshold of posts has been reached, to ensure that brand new members don't damage the site with a bunch of crap. Do you agree? (I appreciate that I have a relatively low post count, but I have been a member of the site for over a year, it's just I rarely post)

Sorry but that just sounds really snobbish....as many people on this site aren't from English Speaking counties so some grammatical errors or spelling errors should be overlooked

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

so now instead of creating the same thread over and over again, you want new people to derail threads so they can ask their question. I can see it now, you're talking about the latest PS3 games or whatever and a new guy comes in and says "how do I create a thread". I'm sure everyone will be happy about that.

maybe we should start banning people who have >20 posts a day from creating threads, cause they are probably just spamming.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I think it's a good idea.

Also: prominently featuring the site rules and FAQ in the account registering process. Like, not a link to them, but a page they have to go through along the way towards registering an account.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

I actually signed on to this site to make a thread (I had a question about my PS3 that had just died on me and wanted to know if this was a common problem), though I of course have interest in sales figures or I would have chosen another site. Got insulted a bit and called a troll but most people just posted normally.

As you can see my post count is very low and I am a noob. But why should that get me banned for creating a thread. "You" more experienced members, upon seeing a duplicate thread should just direct "us" noobs towards the original threads we are duplicating. Seems reasonable no? Think your solution is a bit extreme, a bit elitist...

Though I agree some trolls create new accounts and launch a flame thread... Guess that's why there are mods here to snuff those guys out.

Elaine: I will never understand people

Jerry: They're the worst.

I just looked over the threads, and they don't look that bad to me. New users tend to ask trolling questions, but it's often more out of ignorance than trying to troll.. As others have said, banning them to only post in existing threads will just cause spamming in existing threads.

At least the subjects of the threads that you are complaining about were complete, which is better than can be said for this thread.

I disagree, i think they should be allowed to post no matter what their post count. Limit their thread creation to 1 a day though. The English part i disagree since English is my third language and i often make dumbass mistakes lol.

Anyone should be allowed to post if their thread is intelligent, at least passably well-constructed, and not obvious flamebaiting. The user in question didn't seem to meet any of those criteria.

New users are automatically more suspect too, just because we really don't know them. It is like inviting someone over to your house you don't know. You aren't going to leave him alone with your stuff if you have never met him before. It is just the way it works in forums.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson