By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii menu update version 3.3 now up!

haha i was just gonna ask you soriku cuz i saw my wii light flashing blue....

i was hopping more for a channel or a free wiiware game
:(

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Around the Network

hmm interesting - so they've released an update that deletes unsigned data. (conspiricy theory alert!!), anyone think this could be a first measure to tighten security to maybe release a storage solution.

By ensuring the menu doesn't tolerate unsigned data in any form then they may be working on a storage solution that has a signature system in place when data is saved onto and allows it to be integrated with the Wii channels.

Just a thought - release it now so there's a large attach rate of people who have the update before E3.

Homebrew isn't the only unsigned data possible. All sorts of dubious things are possible - such as hacking programs.

Plus they probably want homebrew on WiiWare so they can get royalties.

Aurally examine my music!

Wear gaudy colours or avoid display. It's all the same.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

Wand to read a creepy thread?

Yeah, I saw it but didn't download it.

Just the Mii thing and Message board upgrade.

Meh, I'll download when I get around to it.

I heard the update also stops datels freeloader. So anybody who likes to inport games, don't update.

Around the Network

it doesn't stop homebrew, if you already have homebrew channel installed then it will continue to work. All it does is fix the bug that allowed "trucha" signed discs to work (so basically no more modifying the content of discs) and fixed the "twilight hack" (nothing to do with unsigned save data, they are just checking the length of the names on the save file. There was a buffer overflow whereby the horses name was unchecked)

If you already have the homebrew channel installed, you can still launch homebrew with it, and no updates will change that, as all previous firmwares are installed on the Wii and programs can switch between them at will.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I agree with the poster above. They need to kill homebrew before they can come out with their storage solution for E3. Otherwise you have a DS R4 situation on your hands, where you just download you Wiiware games to a SD card/USB drive and run from the homebrew game launcher

Naraku_Diabolos said:
FJ-Warez said:
leo-j said:
Dam you guys are lucky, you get ur wii updates whenever its done, we ps3 owners have to wait for sony to schedule it.

The Wii ones are scheduled too, but Ninty usually don't show off anything...

Well, Leo-j DOES have a point, well, sorta... I wish Nintendo would tell us when an update is coming and what it does. At least Sony tells its consumers what they are adding or fixing; Nintendo doesn't.

Huh? Nintendo sends a wii e-mail message when the update is available and it fully describes what the update does.

or is your complaint they don't tell us until after it's available and you want notification before?

If you are not receiving the notifications, you probably have wii connect/24 disabled or something else turned off.

Soriku said:
Here's what it does:

You can transfer Miis from your Plaza to your parade, Wii message board pictures are now scrunched to 4:3 even if they were 16:9 before, stops unauthorized data management (meaning no homebew). Maybe some other things too...

Hmmm, perhaps I wont download this just yet lol

Yeah, this stops the Zelda TP hack (google it) and Freeloader. I will stay away thank you...