By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales will slow down

lol....I love these gifs and Sony pics....lol

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
The Wii is on track to do incredible in NA and Others, but really in Japan I don't see it doing anywhere as good as the PS2 with the current sales pattern.

But gaming in general in Japan just isn't doing that well...

You mean the same sales pattern where it has sold 500,000 units more (approximately 10% more) at the same point in its lifespan?

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS2®2=Japan&cons3=PS2®3=Japan&weeks=156

Those 500k were 900k a few months ago.

Click weekly sales on that chart of yours and the picture it paints is a little different.

The PS2 picked up speed as time went by, the Wii doesn't seem to pick up speed in Japan...

The PS2 sold 1.5 million units through June in it's second year in Japan.

The Wii has sold 1 million units so far there...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Well yeah, eventually every console sale will slow down. The question is when will it slow down. The bottom line is the Wii is something incredible and is doing something that has never been done before on consoles, much like the DS is doing on handhelds. Nintendo really hit the jackpot this generation.

i dont think the Wii is going to sell to well in 2010 in comparison to now, no where near to be honest

Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
The Wii is on track to do incredible in NA and Others, but really in Japan I don't see it doing anywhere as good as the PS2 with the current sales pattern.

You mean the same sales pattern where it has sold 500,000 units more (approximately 10% more) at the same point in its lifespan?

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS2®2=Japan&cons3=PS2®3=Japan&weeks=156

Click weekly sales on that chart of yours and the picture it paints is a little different.

The PS2 picked up speed as time went by, the Wii doesn't seem to pick up speed in Japan...

You do realize that the spike which caused the PS2 to gain 400,000 units in Japan was the release of a big game (Gran Turismo 3 I believe)? Since that spike the Wii is trending at the same rate as the PS2 even though it has been several months since the release of a Major Wii game in Japan.

The fact of the matter is you have no evidence to support the claim that the Wii can't outsell the PS2 being that it has sold 10% more at the same point in its life ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:

You do realize that the spike which caused the PS2 to gain 400,000 units in Japan was the release of a big game (Gran Turismo 3 I believe)? Since that spike the Wii is trending at the same rate as the PS2 even though it has been several months since the release of a Major Wii game in Japan.

The fact of the matter is you have no evidence to support the claim that the Wii can't outsell the PS2 being that it has sold 10% more at the same point in its life ...

The Wii got SSBB X and Mario Kart Wii in Japan this year, I would think those qualify as big games too....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

The Japanese market is very game-oriented. As games come out, the system sells. Monster Hunter 3 will sell a lot of Wiis, and a lot of other similar games will sell the system as well. The system is accessible and people like it. Sales will take off in Japan again.

Keep in mind that the system is still experiencing more demand than supply.  Especially in the USA.

Wii sales have been slowing down for weeks now, just like DS sales.

obieslut said:
i dont think the Wii is going to sell to well in 2010 in comparison to now, no where near to be honest

Ok... How well will be PS3 selling in 2010?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

TheBigFatJ said:
Ail said:

The Japanese market is very game-oriented. As games come out, the system sells. Monster Hunter 3 will sell a lot of Wiis, and a lot of other similar games will sell the system as well. The system is accessible and people like it. Sales will take off in Japan again.

Keep in mind that the system is still experiencing more demand than supply. Especially in the USA.

Correction,

ONLY IN USA