By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation, The MOST innovative Brand

frybread said:
I'd agree if this were 1980-something.

This.

MS did some innovative things back then, if you count stealing other people ideas innovative - although they did improve on those peoples work.

Sony was also in its heyday back then. Now its just a shell of its former self selling outsourced electronics under the Sony name. Plenty of other companies have stood up and taken their place.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Apple and Microsoft are right at the top of the list as well. Which makes me believe the list is a complete joke -- neither of those companies has had any real innovations anytime recently, and both companies are literally based on the idea of stealing ideas from other companies. It was literally the founding practice for both Microsoft and Apple.

Rainbird said:
kenzomatic said:

Why are the folowing not on the list

MIT
NASA
Lockheed Martin
Boeing
General Dynamics
Etc. Etc.

Everyone those has done vastly more then that list. Hell some of them developed the technologies that companies like Sony would have you believe they did.

Because we are talking brand, and neither of those firms are very much into branding in the general public.

In the world I live in those companies, schools, and organization are synonymous with technological inovation. Maybe things have changed but when I was a kid NASA was the public pillar representing Science and technology.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

@kenzomatic - with the exclusion of NASA, and Boeing, the average UK citizen wouldn't have even heard of the rest of those companies. And, seriously, NASA has little effect on UK life, and Boeing = aeroplanes (well, here it does, anyway).

I don't have a clue who MIT or General Dynamics are. And I only heard of Lockheed Martin through Bowling for Columbine.

kenzomatic said:
Rainbird said:
kenzomatic said:

Why are the folowing not on the list

MIT
NASA
Lockheed Martin
Boeing
General Dynamics
Etc. Etc.

Everyone those has done vastly more then that list. Hell some of them developed the technologies that companies like Sony would have you believe they did.

Because we are talking brand, and neither of those firms are very much into branding in the general public.

In the world I live in those companies, schools, and organization are synonymous with technological inovation. Maybe things have changed but when I was a kid NASA was the public pillar representing Science and technology.

But the brands are not that powerful today. I know the companies are great and do a lot of innovative things, but they don't brand themselves with the public like Sony, Apple etc.

These guys are more of a behind-the-scenes kind of firms.

You don't see commercials for NASA or Boeing on TV,  but what you do see is Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft pushing their gaming consoles "into the next generation of gaming". Of course this attracts more attention than Lockheed Martin's innovations, because they are all behind the scene.

Think of Sony's Bravia commercials. That is some crazy marketing they have going for themselves, which is probably one of the reasons they are #1 on that list.

Around the Network

If we were talking about behind-the-scenes companies, General Electric would be in every Top Five list made.

As it is now, I bet 50% of this forum couldn't even give me a brief rundown on GE without a Google search.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Sony Rolly, Sony Playstation, Sony Ericsson (Xperia), I completly agree, Sony has a diverse line of products, i love all of them...

Id say Apple & Sony are a lot a like in my book

rocketpig said:
If we were talking about behind-the-scenes companies, General Electric would be in every Top Five list made.

As it is now, I bet 50% of this forum couldn't even give me a brief rundown on GE without a Google search.

GE has defently done a ton of stuff as well, sadly most people just think they make light bulbs.

Pfizer
Eastman Kodak (the people really behind oled's)
DuPont

Also deserve to be up there

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Sony and Microsoft have others things appart from videogames so is reasonable.

As a brand? Yes. PS vs Nintendo? HECK NO. But Sony has come up with some fabulous projects, such as the walkman.