By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation, The MOST innovative Brand

Google probably should be No.1

The only reason they grew so huge is because of constant innovation, its pretty much what they survive on.

Around the Network
Mifely said:

In response to the "if this were the 1980s" comments...

Remember that Sony broke out the first OLED to the general market last year. It cost a fortune, and was only 11", but as we all know, prices drop, and OLED has a huge future... especially in the portable console market.

I wouldn't doubt for a second if someone told me the next PSP (or DS, for that matter) used OLED, and had 848x480 resolution (or more) with brilliant OLED color, while being even slimmer and more power efficient than today's PSP/DS.

Sony had a major hand in Blu-Ray, Sony is the leader in OLED tech, those "digital books" Sony makes sell like hotcakes (I forget what they are called), Sony Bravia LCD televisions are some of the best on the market (arguably the best), the Sony PS3 is a real powerhouse console... As a company, Sony is an incredible innovator, have no doubt.

Like I said Kodak was the true developer of that technology Sony has done some cotributions but they developed OLED's about as much as Al Gore invinted the Internet.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
SamuelRSmith said:
@kenzomatic - with the exclusion of NASA, and Boeing, the average UK citizen wouldn't have even heard of the rest of those companies. And, seriously, NASA has little effect on UK life, and Boeing = aeroplanes (well, here it does, anyway).

I don't have a clue who MIT or General Dynamics are. And I only heard of Lockheed Martin through Bowling for Columbine.

Not to get pedantic, but the companies kenzomatic listed ALL have had an insane impact on your life, whether you know it or not. NASA, for instance, developed a crapload of innovative breakthroughs during the Gemini and Apollo projects, and they continue to contribute scientific and engineering discoveries that other companies take and use to develop their own products. MIT is constantly making new breakthroughs in all kinds of technologies (most notably computer software, although there are many, many others). Lockheed Martin isn't the powerhouse it was in the 80's, but it continues to contribute when it comes to aeronatuics and satelites, etc. etc. Basically, you wouldn't be living the same life if you took out any of those companies.

Back on topic: I can see where the list is coming from. Sony's done a lot of stuff under its brandname, even if none of them are as gee-whiz as non-consumer-oriented corporations. I'm honestly a bit surprised that Nintendo's on the list, and even more surprised that Microsoft is. But then there's probably some things I'm missing...?

@DmeisterJ
My bad, i didnt see the edit.

rocketpig said:
sparda2020 said:
can someone explain to me why apple is second? i'm not trying to be funny or anything just interested

When you're talking about consumer electronics, no one tops them when it comes to design. Since the general population was polled for this, I fully expected them to be in the top three.

Look at their product line... iPhone, iPod, Macbook, Macbook Air, iTunes... All very high quality, very functional devices that arguably do their job better than anything offered by the competition.

Apple also markets their brand more intelligently and successfully than any other company on Earth. 

QFT...

Tell me about it,

Apple markets like no other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

Sigh, even after all that apple has done over the last decade and a bit people still see them as nothing. What apple has done over the last decade is really quite extraordinary. They made the concept of self contained computers popular (imac), diversified into digital distribution (itunes) and have basically left the tradition players in the music industry in the dust with the ipod itunes combo, they've changed computers from boring beige boxes into something far more aesthetically pleasing and made unix popular again I mean I could go on and on. Apple and google are really the most innovative companies in the computer industry today.

kenzomatic said:
Mifely said:

In response to the "if this were the 1980s" comments...

Remember that Sony broke out the first OLED to the general market last year. It cost a fortune, and was only 11", but as we all know, prices drop, and OLED has a huge future... especially in the portable console market.

I wouldn't doubt for a second if someone told me the next PSP (or DS, for that matter) used OLED, and had 848x480 resolution (or more) with brilliant OLED color, while being even slimmer and more power efficient than today's PSP/DS.

Sony had a major hand in Blu-Ray, Sony is the leader in OLED tech, those "digital books" Sony makes sell like hotcakes (I forget what they are called), Sony Bravia LCD televisions are some of the best on the market (arguably the best), the Sony PS3 is a real powerhouse console... As a company, Sony is an incredible innovator, have no doubt.

Like I said Kodak was the true developer of that technology Sony has done some cotributions but they developed OLED's about as much as Al Gore invinted the Internet.

Well, that being said, not many folks know that Xerox invented the mouse and modern Window GUI either. Apple gets the public credit for that. Sony gets the innovation points for further researching it and bringing it to market before the rest of the pack, just the same as Apple does with the Mac.

edit: the public innovation points.... I think you hear what I'm saying.

don't know if anyone pointed this out yet but.... toshiba is dead last.. How sad..

Also toyota and Honda? WTF... Hybrids are innovative.