By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eight Days cancellation explained: Sony hates single player

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=11845&sid=be5b054a2a2230f7606f1b5c002eea43&title=Eight+Days+cancellation+explained

Eight Days cancellation explained
It just didn't fit in.
Two weeks ago, Sony had announced that the London based studios' upcoming titles, Eight Days and The Getaway for the PlayStation 3, had been cancelled, with no real explanation why. However in a recent interview with Developmag, Sony Worldwide Studios President, Shuhei Yoshida outlined the reasons why Eight Days was cancelled, one being the lack of online.

'The cancellation of Eight Days was not necessarily because that project was failing, but because we looked at how it fit in the portfolio and where it fit as a production.' he stated.
He was also asked if the title was cancelled due to it being single player focused and lacking online play, to which he replied 'If I am truly honest that was part of the consideration. As I say, there are many projects we want to do and we look at many different angles for them, such as profitability, how long it may take, and where it fits in the portfolio – along with other strategic aspects that we are trying to deliver for the platform. So it was just one of the issues.'

So there you have it. An unfortunate event for the single player lovers, and fans of Eight Days' interesting theme. Guess you'll just have to stick to dreaming about playing it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I could be wrong, but I think the focus on online multiplayer is one of the main reasons why Sony and Microsoft have difficulty capturing the broader gamer demographic. Most gamers are primarily interested in how a game plays in single player or local multiplayer and online play is not much of a consideration when buying a game; in contrast it seems that Sony and Microsoft are focusing on online multiplayer games with little consideration to single player and local multiplayer.

Cancellation of Sony games must really brighten up starcraft's day.

Not quite squirrel.

Microsoft is focusing on online for shooters. Elsewhere there has been an enormous investment in making and buying single-player RPG's for the Xbox 360.

The only exception was buying 14 months of exclusivity for Bioshock.

i'm sure the lack on online play wasn't the only reason - but it's a stupid reason.

Around the Network

@starcraft

it's already been posted by me,,,just look 2 post below this and you will see it's there

Rock_on_2008 said:
Cancellation of Sony games must really brighten up starcraft's day.
Not really.  I know that failing Square royalling screwing up the game, I'll buy a PS3 for Versus.  With every hit the PS3's future line-up takes, the thought I'll pay a tonne of cash for one of them depresses me just a little bit more.

Well if it was going to be short like HS then they saved theme selves from loads of bashing by the gaming media & forums....great move SONY...keep it up now.

Thank you for making a thread that puts SONY in positive light for once Starcraft.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

SpartanFX said:
@starcraft

it's already been posted by me,,,just look 2 post below this and you will see it's there

Thats about the studio's at large.  This is eight days specific information.

starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
@starcraft

Thats about the studio's at large. This is eight days specific information.

but eight days is also in there