By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

Deviation59 said:

Umm, it's been confirmed for many months now that it's actually a 50gb dual-layer Blu-ray Disc and all of the cutscenes are generated in real-time by the game's engine. The audio is only available in standard Dolby Digital so you can't claim the space is wasted by uncompressed audio either.

Complete and utter FAIL.

I don't really want to get involved in the whole pointless MGS4 on 360 argument because it's, well, pointless but I will say this: the cut scenes use in game assetts and are done in engine but they are not real time.  They are actual movies and it's pretty easy to tell from when it's playing a movie of in game assetts running in the engine and actually running everything real time.

So no, not complete and utter fail. 

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
GooseGaws said:
disolitude said:
GooseGaws said:
It's not like a multi-disc 360 game is unprecedented, either. Look at the retarded way they packed Lost Odyssey into a barely-modified case. Man, that kind of thing pisses me off.

Uh, excuse the mostly unrelated tangent.

Bastards.

LOL. I know eh... I took the LO copy to the counter at ebgames and they somehow put 4 disks in to it...

That's actually how they packed every copy. They stuck three discs in the usual place on a modified spindle, then put the fourth disc in a little slipcase and shoved it in next to the manual. I was honestly disgusted when I opened it up. Of course, I'm a little insane about things like that.

You're far from alone there. I literally started swearing as soon as I opened up my copy. The Japanese and European versions had a nice case that was a bit thicker than usual with pages for the discs. None of their discs were stacked on top of each other or in a ridiculous fucking paper sleeve.

Really?  Only the North American version was this way?

Shit.  I almost wish I had imported a region-free copy from somewhere else...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Username2324 said:

False.

While no expert, I believe the installs are to get rid of loads during acts, so no, swapping discs wouldn't save you any time.

Personal opinion of yours, it is very likely you know nothing of either consoles capabilities, or the way MGS4 is rendered, therefore you are not the person to be saying that this game is possible on the 360. Having said that, neither am I so I cannot say that it is impossible.

Again, this would be your personal opinion, once you get facts, and numbers, you can come back and either confirm or dismiss your two reasons.

Nice attempt, but please try again.

There is no installs or data removal on the 360. The only thing you may have to do with a 360 version if it came out is swap disks every 3 chapters. So I don't know what that first "False" is about...

And its true that I have neer programmed using the ps3 and 360 dev kits... But I actually have computer programming knowledge.  Therefore I am not a completely clueless when it comes to each systems capabilities...

Also, I can send you a list of things that have been done better in other 360 games...Konami are smart developers, they can figure it out too if Epic and Bungie can...

twesterm said:
Deviation59 said:

Umm, it's been confirmed for many months now that it's actually a 50gb dual-layer Blu-ray Disc and all of the cutscenes are generated in real-time by the game's engine. The audio is only available in standard Dolby Digital so you can't claim the space is wasted by uncompressed audio either.

Complete and utter FAIL.

I don't really want to get involved in the whole pointless MGS4 on 360 argument because it's, well, pointless but I will say this: the cut scenes use in game assetts and are done in engine but they are not real time. They are actual movies and it's pretty easy to tell from when it's playing a movie of in game assetts running in the engine and actually running everything real time.

So no, not complete and utter fail.

And I should also add that it would actually be less space taken if those cut scenes really were all real time. That data would be less than a megabyte.

-edit-

Whoops, hit quote instead of edit >_> 

Blu-Ray Dual Layer is confirmed by Otacon in one of the Codec Calls

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Around the Network

I think the key words here are sacrifice and workarounds, MGS4 can be done on the 360 with sacrifices. IMO any kind of game on the PS3 can be done on the 360 and vice versa.

With regard to pushing to the max, being technically better for providing an unsacrificed experience the PS3 is simply much better specced. Some keywords: 1) Cell processor 2) Blu-Ray drive 3) system bandwidth 4) default harddrive.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

disolitude said:
Username2324 said:

False.

While no expert, I believe the installs are to get rid of loads during acts, so no, swapping discs wouldn't save you any time.

Personal opinion of yours, it is very likely you know nothing of either consoles capabilities, or the way MGS4 is rendered, therefore you are not the person to be saying that this game is possible on the 360. Having said that, neither am I so I cannot say that it is impossible.

Again, this would be your personal opinion, once you get facts, and numbers, you can come back and either confirm or dismiss your two reasons.

Nice attempt, but please try again.

There is no installs or data removal on the 360. The only thing you may have to do with a 360 version if it came out is swap disks every 3 chapters. So I don't know what that first "False" is about...

And its true that I have neer programmed using the ps3 and 360 dev kits... But I actually have computer programming knowledge. Therefore I am not a completely clueless when it comes to each systems capabilities...

Also, I can send you a list of things that have been done better in other 360 games...Konami are smart developers, they can figure it out too if Epic and Bungie can...

So far, and with the limited space of a DVD there probably won't be, however, as I said, the install times are to cut back on load times during gameplay, if they wanted the same load times on the 360, they'd have to do the same thing.

Consoles and computers are not the same.

This third one makes me laugh, someone of your intelligence should know that almost every multiplatform title has been lead of the 360, and is most likely the biggest reason why we see such horrible ports to PS3, that and lack of knowledge and money on the developers part.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by Epic and Bungie, those are both MS developers... I fail to see what you're trying to prove by bringing them into it.

MikeB said:
I think the key word here is sacrifices and workarounds, MGS4 can be done on the 360 with sacrifices. IMO any kind of games on the PS3 can be done on the 360 and vice versa.

With regard to pushing better unsacrificed experience the PS3 is simply much better specced. Some keywords: 1) Cell processor 2) Blu-Ray drive 3) system bandwidth 4) default harddrive

No mike, your wrong. They love the 360, so by god, it can do anything. No matter it's limitations!

It's the powers of the... umm... something... quick, what's powerful in a 360? 

TheRealMafoo said:
MikeB said:
I think the key word here is sacrifices and workarounds, MGS4 can be done on the 360 with sacrifices. IMO any kind of games on the PS3 can be done on the 360 and vice versa.

With regard to pushing better unsacrificed experience the PS3 is simply much better specced. Some keywords: 1) Cell processor 2) Blu-Ray drive 3) system bandwidth 4) default harddrive

No mike, your wrong. They love the 360, so by god, it can do anything. No matter it's limitations!

For a moment I thought you were talking about leo-j and the PS3-Crysis thing, but the I saw the 360 word...

But I'm going to point out that nobody here has claimed that the game can be made without any kind of sacrifices or work arounds like split the game on a number of DL-DVDs, compression to other media, etc... in fact all this is on the OP, so did you bother to read the thread???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
TheRealMafoo said:
MikeB said:

wouldnt that be the directx?