By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: "Avatars" are Microsoft's take on Mii's?

But... but... the casual gamer wants hardcore games! Hear me, MS!

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Good one, MS: 'mii-too' thinking is definitely the way to win marketshare (and far, far easier than actually innovating).

/sarc

i prefer gamer pics tbh.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

...not sure what I feel about this... At this point, Microsoft definitely is in a better position to appeal to the 'casual' gamer market, and clearly the Miis are doing it quite well. However, these 'Avatars' look like they're more meant for regular gamers to make a consistent character for different games. Maybe you can toss them into shooters, racers, and other types of games?

I think it's an interesting tactic by MS, though--together with the Newton, I'd say they have a fair chance, if they market it properly, to appeal to the crowd that's intrigued by the Wii concept but wants more up-to-date graphics?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

No one should be surprised by this. Microsoft's E3 05 conference had an entire portion dedicated to capturing the casual gamer market (a fact many like to ignore when claiming that Nintendo is destroying the industry).

MS failed miserably when compared to Nintendo, so what do you do? Rip off the competition...though they look more like Sim wannabes than Miis to me. There's also nothing remotely clever or catchy about "Avatars!"

Yeah, this is going to get bashed to hell, save for the intense faction of fanboys claiming that this is going to be much better than Miis.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

soo..... This is what they mean by "Microsoft is being DESPERATE"..

now it all finally makes sense.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
MrBubbles said:
i prefer gamer pics tbh.

yeah well you are not a casual my friend.... we'll see more and more stuff like that in the future on all 3 consoles.... who ever wants to win the position of multimedia box in the livingroom will have to please the entire family.... not only the gamer in the house... 

that's why i don't really believe the ranking in the console war really matters this gen... we are at the hybrid phase... all the gimmicks of the three platforms are easy to replicate.... but the three companies have different approaches.... nintendo is 100% on the gaming side... introducing gaming to casual..... Sony is 100% on the hardware offering the ferrari with it's specs.... MS is 100% on the software side trying to deploy networks and connectivity between what was the PC as a multimedia platform in the office with the console which was the entertainment unit in the living room

nintendo well it's nintendo they have been in the gaming industry for ages (so in your living room) and are decided to stay there in a good position

Sony has been in your living room with other products for a while but has heavy competition on those market and needs to expand with on top the fact that stand alones will tend to disappear.... we'll see more and more all in one

MS is loosing some ground on the PC software industry with general customers against apple with is gaining some momentum on the trend they have started when Job came back and the launch of the iMac and iPod and all related products..... they need new markets and quick or they'll be let behind

I bet R&D is going crazy for all three companies as we speak.... because no matter what next gen won't be only about consoles and gaming but all bunch of stuff we can't even imagine yet....

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=P7J_ereCiTo

this 10 min documentary explains how fast the world is moving today and it's not about to slow down... what's true for us as individuals is true for corporations too... why do you think MS is buying out companies everywhere right now ??? for the documentary it's not focused on gaming but it's related to the issues we are all facing at the 4 min mark is the part most interesting for us... 

Can't wait to play Gears Of War 2 online with my Avatar to blow my friends up!!
Or how about looking in the rearview mirror in Forza to look at my best friend Avatar driving the car behind me in second place...

That would be so... lame..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

__XBrawlX__ said:
Hmm... even Microsoft jumps on the Wii Band wagon... The only company that really hasn't changed its ways drastically is Sony...

So by SONY copying 360 in having in game music and ingame chat and other things such as XBLA features and achievements that doesn't mean SONY has changed. WOW which cave have you been living in SONY fanboy? SONY is the biggest copycat and everyone knoes that. From HDD, six-axis the PS3 is made by copying everyone else except for bluray and other miniscule things.

..........Desperate...no...that's not the word...
Rip-off...maybe....
Wack Juice Intoxication...yep, that's it.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."