By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is The Playstation 3 Really Doing That Bad?

Legend11 said:
The Playstation 3 is doing bad, so bad in fact that I can't even really say much more about it because I'm afraid Playstation 3 fans might get too upset and try to get me banned if I did.  Needless to say you're always welcome to the Xbox 360 camp.

Sorry, if I had to replace my console 4 times like my coworkers launch console somebody would get shot. I realize that the failure rate is probably also exaggerated, but I saw it happen to someone.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
The Playstation 3 is doing bad, so bad in fact that I can't even really say much more about it because I'm afraid Playstation 3 fans might get too upset and try to get me banned if I did.  Needless to say you're always welcome to the Xbox 360 camp.

im already in the 360 camp... but 360 fanboys might get mad if i said their console is this generations version of the ps2.. breaks down constantly

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

vizunary said:
Bodhesatva said:

There needs to be a massive, giant red blinking light that says that the PS2 line (And GC, and Xbox) is missing its European numbers.

As you can see, the PS3 is substantially behind the PS2 in both the American and Japanese markets; the European figures don't even have the PS2 at all, which is why the sales end up looking similar, but they aren't.

Oh, sorry didn't see the the big massive, giant red blinking light, didn't realize this, still I thinked the DOOOOMED theory is shit.

So do I.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I think the PS3 is going to be in the N64 role this time around. A lot of expectations out of it, a lot of good games will show up for it, but it just won't have the broad library that it's competitors will have. When there's a cheaper alternative to the high graphics crowd, and an even cheaper console with a new take on controlling and simplicity, I can't really see it doing great. Doomed? Not with the amount of money Sony's got in it. But compared to last generation, Sony's bombed this time through, and will think things through better next time.

There has to be data missing from that chart, considering that, according to that, the Wii has sold more than the PS2 and PS3 combined during the same period, which doesn't seem quite right, IMHO. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
ampillion said:
I think the PS3 is going to be in the N64 role this time around. A lot of expectations out of it, a lot of good games will show up for it, but it just won't have the broad library that it's competitors will have. When there's a cheaper alternative to the high graphics crowd, and an even cheaper console with a new take on controlling and simplicity, I can't really see it doing great. Doomed? Not with the amount of money Sony's got in it. But compared to last generation, Sony's bombed this time through, and will think things through better next time.

QFT.  A better comparison is probably the Gamecube though.  They both shared similar launch conditions and are almost identical in sales to this point.  I'm saying PS3 = Gamecube, except that the Gamecube made lots of money and the PS3 will be a big dip in the red for Sony.  But sales wise that's where it will be.

Comparing PS2 to PS3 makes little sense.

PS2 launched first, had a decent price, sold 15Million+ WW (5 Million+ in each region) before there was any competition. It offered an inexpensive DVD player right when that market exploded. And by the time the GC and XBox launched the PS2 has all the third party support it would ever need.

The PS3 launched second, a year behind the 360 (and even worse in Europe). They have a horrible price. Not to mention that the 360 can produce similar graphics while the Wii can do things neither of the other 2 can.

So now Sony is losing money on each system, a lot of money. At any moment MS can stick it to them with a $100 price drop. The Wii is profitable now and outselling them by a huge margin and is priced for mass appeal.

The bottom line is this:

Sony over estimated how many people wanted BD right now.
Sony over estimated how many people would pay $600 for a console.
Sony over estimated how many people would buy the system w/o any games.

Sony under estimated MS and let them get a head start with similar specs.
Sony under estimated Nintendo and just got blindsided (as did MS).

Any game that has released so far that was going to change the momentum has failed to do so. Just like no game magically saved the GC, I think PS3 is in the same boat. They will have some great games, but they will never be the market leader this gen. Luckily MS is screwing up too so they have a chance for a distant second place.

When Lair and some other AAA games come out and PS3 is still getting crushed by Wii, then I think more people will start to admit the obvious.

The final marker will be this holiday. If the Wii, and 360 pull further ahead then it is over. You will start to see less and less sales, and more 3rd parties leaving.

Bonafide732 said:
Dolla Dolla said:
The only problem with aligning launches is the fact that the PS2 launched in Japan 6 months ahead of everyone.

So, the PS3, selling in ALL territories now, is matching up with PS2 selling in ONE region.

Also, Bonafide, you said you doubted the PS2 sold 20 million by holiday 01 in your posts. If you take a look, they shipped 19 million by September of 01 and 28 million by March of 02.

keyword shipped.... microsoft shipped 10 million by holiday o6 but did they sell 10 million no... 6 and a half months later we are still waitin for them to sell 10 mil

I sincerely doubt they would've shipped 28 million consoles by March of 2002 if over 20 million hadn't been sold by the end of 2001. You can stuff the channel a good 2 or 3 million units if you like, but usually that means shipments drop considerably, just like Microsoft's did. End of 2006, Microsoft shipped 10 million. By March 2007, they shipped 11 million. Notice the difference.

ampillion said:

N64 made a profit on systems sold. Nintendo had a lot of first party games that made a profit. Even though the N64 was considered a failure, at least it made money. The PS3 is already billions of dollars in the hole. 

Out of the three companies, Sony has the least amount of cash. I'm not sure why people think Sony is so rich. Big does not equal rich (See GM). Microsoft is legitimately rich with $37 billion cash. Sony only has $4 billion, which is even less than Nintendo has. If a rainy day hits (recession), Sony could find itself is heaps of trouble. 

naznatips said:
ampillion said:

QFT. A better comparison is probably the Gamecube though. They both shared similar launch conditions and are almost identical in sales to this point. I'm saying PS3 = Gamecube, except that the Gamecube made lots of money and the PS3 will be a big dip in the red for Sony. But sales wise that's where it will be.

I kinda went N64 because it was more the 'unpopular' system for developers. Expensive cartridges compared to the cheaper CD's that Playstation whipped out, but Gamecube's just about as accurate as far as launch conditions. Both are pretty good representatives of where the PS3 will probably show up at. Again, there'll still be a few great games to come out on it, but it won't be the PS2 this generation.