By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is The Playstation 3 Really Doing That Bad?

if you don`t care? what are you doing then in so many PS3 related threads? =))

or you are hoping that ps3 will go out of console market like dreamcast did? do you relly believe in that?
anyway, GC and xbox sold ~ 25 Mln. console each. And didn`t have a lot of killer`aps.
So what is you point/problem people? Or just dreaming about ps3 failure? =))

There will be about 120 Mln ps2 users by the end of this year, if atleast 10 or 20% of these people, which loved ps2 will buy ps3 - it will make 12-24 Mln.
Low sales after 6 month doesn`t prove anything, AND YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE DS LITE STARTED SELLING THAT HIGH ONLY AFTER MORE THEN 1 YEAR. =) In 2005 it was draw between psp and ds lite, and now only after 2 years DS outselling psp twice.

If some people bought x360 just for one game (without brandname) - gears of wars, why you think that many fans won`t buy ps3 just for FFXIII, MGS4 or GT5 ? Just because of 600$ wich is 200$ more then x360? but with price cut, it can be only 100$ difference(ofcourse M$ also will drop price), but we are talking about 460$ for x360+gears and 560$ for ps3+blu-ray+FFXIII/MGS4/GT5/KZ2.

Just forget about that doomed stuff, there is nothing to disscus, PS3 will dominate in near future. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

If you're relying on how good a game looks to move the PS3 I'm afraid you see even worse sales than what you've already had.

Celb said:
ampillion said:
Celb said:
CrazzyMan said:
just curious, what you people gonna say, when (if):

Killzone 2 will look like e3 2k5 trailer or even better.
MGS4 will look like TGS05 trailer or even better.
FFXIII will look like e3 2k6 trailer or even better.
GT5 will look like real life.
AFrika will look even better.
Getaway 3 also will look like real world.

or that will not matter to you?

i just know, that when there will apper articles like "ps3 is doomed", people will give links to some videos from e3 2k7 or TGS07 and say: "watch this and shut up". But still, what people you will say, or i just need to wait 4 weeks more to see that? =))

of course those dont matter, only old mario and waggle matters.

MGS was all real time, FF13 had real time gameplay.

Psst. Thanks for contributing to the thread. Your 'addition' to the discussion was greatly appreciated.

Edit- Sorry, I also meant to add, "Troll.", to this post. Thanks in advance.

got your panties in a twist.

its funny ad hell reading wii fanboys write pages of how FF13 or MGS4 dont matter, how GT is not a big seller and all their BS.

Yes, obviously I'm a Wii fanboy because.. I dunno, maybe I own one? Nope. Sorry, I don't, the newest system I own is a DS, and I've gotten maybe four games for it because I'm poor. Because I have something to gain from the Wii winning? Nope. Sorry again.

I'm sorry that you can't handle intelligent discussion with anything short of fanboy rhetoric though. You let me know when your Folding@Home cures cancer. We're talking about gaming history here, and I don't seem to recall any 600 dollar systems ever magically making a comeback because of a few games. Troll.

@Crazzyman

I'm in a lot of sales and/or general discussion threads, I'm not sitting around in only PS3 threads. Hell, I tried starting a couple threads of just general gaming speculation, but not much came of them. I don't care if you've got an opinion, so long as you can make that opinion intelligently. If you have reasons to cite where you think the PS3 will come back due to prior gaming history, then by all means, feel free to point that out.

At no point have I straight up bashed any system for anything beyond that which everyone's already well aware of. (PS3's price, MS's failure rates, Wii's lazy developers) PS3 games will of course look better. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to believe that a 600 dollar system might do more things than a 250 dollar one.

Comparing the PS3 to the DS is a foolish comparison. The price ranges are again, totally different. You're talking about a huge, HD capable piece of hardware against a small, portable gaming device. The reason why the DS went on to overtake the PSP? I'd have to say it's because developers started seeing the uses of the touch screen, couple that with cheaper games on a cheaper system with a focus on games, and the DS pulled away and never looked back.

Honestly noone's going to buy one system for just one game, you might initially buy it 'just for' Halo, Mario, FF, GT, or whatever. But that's not very cost effective entertainment is it? You'll get tired of the game sooner or later, or at least need a diversion. You're going to buy another game for it. And possibly two or three more. If you're into gaming. If not, and you buy it for one game, and that's it... how again does that help any company? They're not making any game sales off you. It's all about the initial investment. Right now, the Wii is kicking both their asses because it's the only one of the three that contains a pack-in game by default AND is the lowest price of the three.

There will be some people that will pick up the PS3 because of some of those games, noone's saying it's a terrible system. It's a great system. But it's not accessible for everyone on an impulse. There will obviously be some people that will drop down on a FF offering or a MGS4. But only the hardcore, previous fans of the series. Which leads me back to my original concept.

The PS3 will be the N64/GC/Xbox of this generation. Because there's just not enough 'hardcore gamers' to buy up every PS3 out there. And you're kidding yourself if the casual or non-gamer is going to just pick one up on a whim. The current marketing history is already proving that.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with sticking up for your consoles, and people that are outright proclaiming doom for PS3 and Sony are pretty foolish in their own right. Noone wants a system to collapse, that means less options in the market, which leads to less innovation and incentive to get people to buy X system over Y system. Your PS3's will have plenty of first party games that won't show up to the 360's party. Which is why I compared it to the 64/GC. It'll be a system primarily driven by Sony's games and multiplatform titles. Accept that fact, and have fun with those games. ITS THE POINT OF GAMING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Unless of course, you're like that troll guy.

The PS3 is only doing bad when compared to the Wii. Compared to the 360, the PS3 is holding its own. If you only consider the PS3 and the 360 (no Wii), the 360 has a good grip on the U.S. market, but the PS3 is excelling in overseas markets (1 million sold in 3 months in Europe; PS3 already leads 360 in Japan). I'd say, overall, the sell rates are about the same, except that the 360 got 12 months more time in the U.S., 11 more months in Japan, and almost 16 months more time in Europe. Considering the limited games selection right now, the PS3 might even be considered doing well (overachieving) at this point.

JSF, do you consider either the PS3 or xbox360 to be doing well? Personally, I think a console is doing well (for the company making it) when it actually makes money instead of losing it.

Around the Network

actually the 360 is selling considerably better than PS3 in Europe weekly, and has a huge cushion to boot. 360 is selling much better in the USA, and is selling a little bit worse in Japan, but PS3 is also doing bad in Japan (we're comparing 9k to 2k, both are bad).

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

JSF said:
The PS3 is only doing bad when compared to the Wii. Compared to the 360, the PS3 is holding its own. If you only consider the PS3 and the 360 (no Wii), the 360 has a good grip on the U.S. market, but the PS3 is excelling in overseas markets (1 million sold in 3 months in Europe; PS3 already leads 360 in Japan). I'd say, overall, the sell rates are about the same, except that the 360 got 12 months more time in the U.S., 11 more months in Japan, and almost 16 months more time in Europe. Considering the limited games selection right now, the PS3 might even be considered doing well (overachieving) at this point.

Actually, the PS3 isn't doing much better in other regions. Take a look at the sales curve. The PS3 sales for Other Regions is falling just like it did in Japan and USA. It's just that launch sales were slightly better in Europe due to better availability. But weekly sales are getting worse week by week everywhere. 

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&align=1&weekly=1 

The PS3 is doing bad when compared to Sony's pre-launch arrogant expectations, as well as analyst expectations.

5 million with no games...

CrazzyMan said:
if you don`t care? what are you doing then in so many PS3 related threads? =))

or you are hoping that ps3 will go out of console market like dreamcast did? do you relly believe in that?
anyway, GC and xbox sold ~ 25 Mln. console each. And didn`t have a lot of killer`aps.
So what is you point/problem people? Or just dreaming about ps3 failure? =))

There will be about 120 Mln ps2 users by the end of this year, if atleast 10 or 20% of these people, which loved ps2 will buy ps3 - it will make 12-24 Mln.
Low sales after 6 month doesn`t prove anything, AND YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE DS LITE STARTED SELLING THAT HIGH ONLY AFTER MORE THEN 1 YEAR. =) In 2005 it was draw between psp and ds lite, and now only after 2 years DS outselling psp twice.

If some people bought x360 just for one game (without brandname) - gears of wars, why you think that many fans won`t buy ps3 just for FFXIII, MGS4 or GT5 ? Just because of 600$ wich is 200$ more then x360? but with price cut, it can be only 100$ difference(ofcourse M$ also will drop price), but we are talking about 460$ for x360+gears and 560$ for ps3+blu-ray+FFXIII/MGS4/GT5/KZ2.

Just forget about that doomed stuff, there is nothing to disscus, PS3 will dominate in near future. =)

Crazzyman...as others have commented, there is a big difference between how well the PS3 is doing and how well the Gamecube did.  The big reason?  Nintendo made money, sony is currently losing money.  It doesn't matter how many units are sold if the company selling it makes no money in the process.

As for the DS lite, it was never in a similar position with the psp, that is another big difference.  It was also the cheaper of the two. 

The average gamer can not imagine how big of a purchase a 600$ USD console really is for the average family.  Add on the 60$ game and you have $660 for one persons (at a time) enjoyment.  For the average 2 parent 2.5 children family, paying a mortgage, maybe has a newish car or two, 660$ is a major purchase.  For the average gamer, a guy 18-25 years old, and that 660$ is probably your beer money for a month, no big deal.

People need to take things in perspective.  There are some very big reasons consoles priced so high don't do well.  And I don't see the holiday season changing that.  Whens the last time you bought a 660$ gift for anyone?

Based on my checking of the VGCharts numbers regularly, the difference between the two (PS3 and 360) don't seem to change very much at all. They seem dead even in terms of overall sell rates - to me anyway. And no, I don't think either of them are doing all that great, but I expect both of their sales to improve as HDTV's gain market penetration.