By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MGS4 Japan --- First day sales

NJ5 didn't hate on the game....stop getting insecure people

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

thats alot for first day sales

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

MGS4 is doing very well in Japan considering the relatively small userbase of the PS3 there. I can't imagine how well it must have done in America and Europe since the series has always been more popular in the West.

NJ5 said:
bardicverse said:
I could believe such numbers being true for 1st week, I expected 800k for MGS4 first week and maybe 20-30k ps3s sold. We'll see when we get official numbers in.

I'm not so sure about it breaking records, as MGS games are known to have pretty poor legs. Time will tell.

Let's see what the official tally is from VGChartz. =)

Wait... You expected MGS4 to almost catch the other MGS games in a single week??
  Given that MGS4 is probably one of the top most anticipated games, and the PS3 having over a million units sold in Japan (with those owners being "core" gamers), I don't think it's a far fetched thought. People flock to the big games right away, leaving few sales left afterwards, because everyone who wants the game already bought it. Heavily frontloaded with weak legs.

NJ5 said:
BengaBenga said:
DragonLord said:

I agree that MGS4 has HUGE development cost, but I think the rumors of $75 million are probably wrong. Most people say that KZII is one of the most expensive developments ever and it's not even close to running that high. Original reports were that KZ2 was suppose to cost around $30 million but because of poor management could end up being even more than that (some predict double--but that's still just rumor). Most say it will end up as the most expensive game ever created dethroning Shenmue.

But I guess Konami is the only one that knows its cost at this point, so who knows?

Eitherway, MGS4 was expensive and it will take a lot of games to make a profit, even if Sony absorbed some of the cost (such as marketing $$$, etc.)

FYI: GTA IV was $ 100 million.

Yeah, no way MGS4 cost $20-30 million. There were even reports of 200 people working on the game at the same time.

$20-30 million is the budget of your average PS360 game, not a mega production like MGS4.

Where did I say that MGS4 only cost $20 million?  I didn't.  (My personal GUESS would be around $50 million) I just said that I didn't think it cost $75 million.  Just my opinion...I could be wrong, but I'm just saying that most rumors have been penciling KZ2 in at double its original budget (which was only $30M, making it over $60M).  And by the way, KZ2 and GT5 are both rumored to have 200+ people working on their development...not that unusual on high profile games.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network
Riachu said:
MGS4 is doing very well in Japan considering the relatively small userbase of the PS3 there. I can't imagine how well it must have done in America and Europe since the series has always been more popular in the West.

its probably doing the best in europe

@bardicverse

no....MGs as series has never crossed a million in Japan....n this time its on a smaller userbase....also FF13 is most hyped in Japan

^your thinking this will cross 1 mil?or no

that will be just amazing if it crosses 1 mill, that's 50% of the userbase.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

@brute

not a chance....these high week 1 sales will result in little to no legs....700K at max.